Yellowpen

When Cakewalk is running, listening to Music files is disabled?

Question

Hey,

I´m quite new to Cakewalk (started yesterday :)) and I have the following problem. I use an Behringer U-Phoria UMC22 as audio interface and I use Cakewalk to manage and recording some bass lines and song ideas. I use my USB Headphones (plugged in the Computer) as Audio output and the Behringer Audio interface as Audio Input and it works like a charm without any delay.  Now sometimes I just want to listen to some Music (via Windows Media Player / Spotify) and play along with my bass guitar and maybe recording my own bassline, Music and bass guitar output via USB Headset. BUT when Cakewalk is running I cannot open and listen to any .mp3 file on my Computer and an error occurs. When I close Cakewalk everything works fine again immediately. 

I hope i could make my problem clear. Many thanks in advance.

8 answers to this question

57 minutes ago, Yellowpen said:

Hey,

I´m quite new to Cakewalk (started yesterday :)) and I have the following problem. I use an Behringer U-Phoria UMC22 as audio interface and I use Cakewalk to manage and recording some bass lines and song ideas. I use my USB Headphones (plugged in the Computer) as Audio output and the Behringer Audio interface as Audio Input and it works like a charm without any delay.  Now sometimes I just want to listen to some Music (via Windows Media Player / Spotify) and play along with my bass guitar and maybe recording my own bassline, Music and bass guitar output via USB Headset. BUT when Cakewalk is running I cannot open and listen to any .mp3 file on my Computer and an error occurs. When I close Cakewalk everything works fine again immediately. 

I hope i could make my problem clear. Many thanks in advance.

Preferences | Audio | Playback and Recording > select "Suspend Audio Engine When Cakewalk Is Not in Focus."

See:  (CTRL + F search for "sus")

http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=0x22B19

Hey,

thank you for your answer. I selected "Suspend Audio Engine When Cakewalk Is Not in Focus." Now at least its possible to listen to music without closing the Catwalk programm ^^. But i want to play and record instruments while listening to some .mp3 files at the same time. When Catwalk is not in Focus, theres no audio output from Catwalk (that means i cannot hear the instrument through my USB Headphones) and recording isn´t working.

You want background music while recording? Isn't it a bit confusing?

Or are you recording along with a piece of music? If that is the case, add the mp3 to your project.

Yeah I want to record along with the music, for example to practice. I think adding the mp3 is the best workaround so far. Thanks alot. I still dont get it why WMP and Spotify dont work while Cakewalk is running but nevermind 🤷‍♂️.   

Cakewalk wants to hog all resources for itself. Large projects can be pretty intense.

I don't have a input device, so I use WASAPI Shared as my Driver Mode with Suspend Audio ... off, and so I can do anything.

Having the mp3 in the project is pretty useful because you can get the tempo just right, line things up, use it as a reference when mixing. Start/Stop is in the same interface.

On 9/12/2020 at 12:26 PM, Yellowpen said:

I still dont get it why WMP and Spotify dont work while Cakewalk is running but nevermind 🤷‍♂️.   

Based on my personal experience on my Audio PC, it really depends on your system (devices, support software, and settings--including Window's Sound settings).  It can be done, though.

2020-09-15: Edited to remove references to (1) a different media player than the one mentioned, (2) a different online source of music, (3) references to a different audio device and support software, 

On 9/12/2020 at 5:40 AM, Yellowpen said:

. . . when Cakewalk is running I cannot open and listen to any .mp3 file on my Computer and an error occurs. When I close Cakewalk everything works fine again immediately. 

and (4) a suggestion for looking at one possible cause and possible solution for the problem mentioned.

Edited by User 905133
to remove what might have been perceived as off-topic, not helpful, and/or irrelevant to the original question

@User 905133 Everybody's system is different, everybody has different experiences, Windows has so many vagaries, the PC hardware varies, the input interfaces all differ, it is very difficult to work out solutions.

• Confused 1