Jump to content
ØSkald

Is Adam Neely too geeky?

Recommended Posts

I love this stuf. Trying to  find the true answer to such questions as in this video, instead of just ansvering a  title to a Dream Theater, Pagans Mind or  Symphony X tune.

 

 

 

Edited by ØSkald

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't post often in this part of the world, but...   that was pretty cool!    Interesting stuff.    I liked all of it, but the last section about compositions based on small intonation adjustments really stood out.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Adam is awesome.  It's also a great window into the  mind of his generation.  Younger musicians are so much better trained than they were decades ago.  David Cola is also from Berklee and is an *influencer*.  Really amazing musicians.  The only deal with Adam that confuses me is that he's probably a better researcher and teacher than he is a performer (IMHO of course).  Living the life of a working bassist is a lot harder than being a professor.  I hope he gets picked up by someone.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An interesting watch.

 

I remember when I first watched a Dream Theatre performance on DVD. A friend lent it to me. I wasn't familiar with Dream Theatre at all so this performance was my first encounter.

I found it rather tiresome and boring and after a while I stopped watching. It quite literally gave me a headache... Just too much "virtuosity" for my liking.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, synkrotron said:

I remember when I first watched a Dream Theatre performance on DVD. A friend lent it to me. I wasn't familiar with Dream Theatre at all so this performance was my first encounter.

I found it rather tiresome and boring and after a while I stopped watching. It quite literally gave me a headache... Just too much "virtuosity" for my liking.

 

UnfairLifeOfTheGuitarist.jpg

😀

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 2/27/2019 at 7:17 PM, synkrotron said:

An interesting watch.

 

I remember when I first watched a Dream Theatre performance on DVD. A friend lent it to me. I wasn't familiar with Dream Theatre at all so this performance was my first encounter.

I found it rather tiresome and boring and after a while I stopped watching. It quite literally gave me a headache... Just too much "virtuosity" for my liking.

 

Yeah. I think it’s just a taste thing. Like, they are not the definition of advanced music, tho they are advanced. But there is also advance music in other styles. And like Adam try to explain, “advance” is needed to be defined before you can you can make a list of advanced music. For a guitarist, music like Animals As Leaders might be in that category (strange techniques and fast), or someone would put in some of the best country guitarists that put more heart into their playing than anyone else. Or someone who can play a heartfelt song with just 3 chords on a piano (he masters to make lots with less).

For me there is fugal technique and the power of a melody. But I am not good at it myself. I just envy the ones who master it. But we all have different definition for “advanced”, “best” and so on.

Edited by ØSkald
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I enjoyed the watch. I like music that involves physicality, emotional pull, and intellectual challenge. If any of these parameters is pushed too far or not balanced it doesn't last long on my playlist.

However, I've often found that I had to listen to unfamiliar styles many times. Once I grasped the overall structure I sometimes alter my initial evaluation and things I had disliked became listed among my favorites.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If you just have a fast beat its just a fast beat but if you break it up with contrast, the beat seems faster and it suddenly have a depth.

Edited by ØSkald

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@synkrotron I have to agree. I don't quite get a headache, but definitely get bored. I respect their individual musicianship and tightness as a band, but I don't get into that genre of music at all. In fact, when I watched their live video, I found myself forwarding all the parts where their singer comes in. I think he sits backstage and watches the concert on CC TV or something, and then when his parts are coming up, he leaves the green room, hits the stage for his part, and then goes backstage again. Works for me since it's easy to see when he's on and off stage while in FF mode.

Again--no disrespect. Just a matter of taste. ( I do like several of those Music Man guitars though! Wouldn't mind having one of those one bit!)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2019 at 9:12 AM, ØSkald said:

I love this stuf. Trying to  find the true answer to such questions as in this video, instead of just ansvering a  title to a Dream Theater, Pagans Mind or  Symphony X tune.

 

 

 

At two minutes and twenty seconds, we see a nano second of our fearless leader. I deem this to be political, and in violation of the TOS. Please moderators do you due diligence. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Neely's stuff, even though I'm not sure I'd ever use much of it? His vid on 7/11 polyrhythms is a mind bender, though he does a good job of explaining how to count it out:

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Royal Yaksman said:

I like Neely's stuff, even though I'm not sure I'd ever use much of it? His vid on 7/11 polyrhythms is a mind bender, though he does a good job of explaining how to count it out:

 

Yeah. love it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ooo...  Being a nerd, that was a FUN video!  I can already see that his videos would be a huge (but enjoyable!) time-suck for me - lol!  I've subscribed so I can enjoy his stuff once I'm not working 90+ hour weeks... 🙂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, craigb said:

Ooo...  Being a nerd, that was a FUN video!  I can already see that his videos would be a huge (but enjoyable!) time-suck for me - lol!  I've subscribed so I can enjoy his stuff once I'm not working 90+ hour weeks... 🙂

Do you have a hat with geek on? lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ØSkald said:

Do you have a hat with geek on? lol

No, no...  Just like our new start-up business name ("Two Bright Nerds, LLC"), I'm a nerd.  I try not to be too much of a geek. 😉 😆

 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Royal Yaksman said:

His vid on 7/11 polyrhythms is a mind bender

Yeah, it was.

Oh well, I think I'll just hit the piano roll and get my DAW to do the hard work...

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, synkrotron said:

Yeah, it was.

Oh well, I think I'll just hit the piano roll and get my DAW to do the hard work...

I love the Cakewalk Piano roll... Its my greatest tool...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ØSkald said:

I love the Cakewalk Piano roll... Its my greatest tool...

Indeed!

As someone who lacks any real ability to stay in time with a simple 4/4 beat, Piano Roll is essential :D

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×