Jump to content
Will_Kaydo

Bounce midi to audio file instantly - CLOSED

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Wouldn't it be cool to be able to bounce a midi file instantly to audio wavefile independently - having the option available in the TAB shown in the picture.

Recording through patch points are cool, but it sometimes messes up the individual track. Plus, having the daw to instantly bounce the file to and audio wavefile within the daw with an undo bounce function to do editing if necessary - time saver! 

 

Bounce.png

Edited by Will_Kaydo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, scook said:

The tab sets up the default editor.

CbB already has the ability to record synth audio and MIDI at the same time

No patch point is needed.

 

What I mean was . . . the ability to "bounce" a midi file "instantly" to wave file - with just a click of a button, without having to setup extra tracks to record your midi clip to. 

See the clip in the picture? Wouldn't it be great to just select an option from that tab on the clip itself and turn it into an audio file instantly.

The less you do, the more you get out. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Synth recording using split tracks takes no extra setup or tracks. Click the record button(s) and start recording. After recording MIDI, audio or both are instantly available.

Freeze is a one button option

Bounce to track(s) may be bound to a keyboard shortcut or added to the custom button module.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, scook said:

Synth recording using split tracks takes no extra setup or tracks. Click the record button(s) and start recording. After recording MIDI, audio or both are instantly available.

Freeze is a one button option

Bounce to track(s) may be bound to a keyboard shortcut or added to the custom button module.

 

 

Still too many tracks.

How do you fix quantization on both midi and audio tracks with the split option at the same time?

That's why I prefer doing patch points or Aux tracks recording, cause being able to only quantize the midi and having an un-quantized audio file doesn't make sense.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm playing around as we speak. Still feel like too much work and the audio track being there for what I'm trying to accomplish - makes no sense having it there if you can't quantize it with the midi together. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aside from real time recording NOTHING will happen instantly.

A virtual MIDI cable can provide a way to pre-process MIDI data before recording. It does use an extra MIDI track though.

Freeze is a post record option that uses the same tracks(s) as the synth. It is one button click.

Bounce is a post record option that adds new audio tracks. Can take a minimum of three clicks (includes counting the click for track focus).

These options available today while waiting for this request to materialize.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, scook said:

Aside from real time recording NOTHING will happen instantly.

Freeze is a post record option that uses the same tracks(s) as the synth. It is one button click.

Bounce is a post record option that adds new audio tracks. Can take a minimum of three clicks (includes counting the click for track focus).

These are the options available while waiting for this request to materialize (should the ever elect to add this 4th option).

Exactly . . . It'll be much appreciated to if we can get the "On place render/bounce" from Midi to Audio on site - where and option to "render" the midi file to audio on place within the daw. 

This will obviously need a feature to "undo" the render/bounce file on site (Which ever you prefer using.) I just think this will be an awesome edition to our DAW as a future request.

Working strictly with audio files saves a lot of CPU consumption too. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Freeze the instrument track, drag clip to desktop. This has been my method since freezing was first introduced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, scook said:

Freeze is a one button option

 

 

@scook My guy - first of all I want to apologize. I've found what I was looking for and requested. 

For years I'd literally thought "FREEZE" was just another name for "Clip lock" as how it is in most DAWS - that's why i never bothered to use it. I've always just RIGHT CLICKED on the clip itself and chose "CLIP LOCK" to lock a clip in place.

So, I thought "Freeze" was to lock the clip and that's why i didn't first caught what you meant.

I think the naming should change to MIDI RENDER/BOUNCE instead of freeze. I think it might help a lot of users with navigation. 

Strange thing is . . . I'm working 12 years in a professional studio and never knew this in cakewalk. I always just recorded the track to an aux.

So now I know "FREEZE" in cakewalk is to "Render/Bounce" a midi clip/file in place inside the daw. 😑😧

Edited by Will_Kaydo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Josh Wolfer said:

Freeze the instrument track, drag clip to desktop. This has been my method since freezing was first introduced.

Literally thought "Freeze" was just to lock clip in place. Might have used it in the past and probably forgot when AUX and Patch points was introduced 5/6 years ago. 😧😳

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Freeze is not exclusively for MIDI. It may be used to render audio tracks as well.

Introduced with SONAR 4 in 2004, freeze combines the functions of an in-place bounce to track, bypass FX Rack and disconnect synth into a single operation.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Will_Kaydo said:

@scook My guy - first of all I want to apologize. I've found what I was looking for and requested. For years I'd literally thought "FREEZE" was just another name for "Clip lock" as how it is in most DAWS - that's why i never bothered to use it. I've always just RIGHT CLICKED on the clip itself and chose "CLIP LOCK" to lock a clip in place.

So, I thought "Freeze" was to lock the clip and that's why i didn't first caught what you meant.

I think the naming should change to MIDI RENDER/BOUNCE instead of freeze. I think it might help a lot of users with navigation. 

Strange thing is . . . I'm working 12 years in a professional studio and never knew this. I always just recorded the track to an aux.

So now I know "FREEZE" is to "Render/Bounce" a midi clip/file in place inside the daw. 😑😧

FWIW, I've used the term Freeze with other engineers using Cubase, ProTools, and Logic, and they all mean the same thing to those other people, so I'm not sure what other DAWs you're using where it means something else ;).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Josh Wolfer said:

FWIW, I've used the term Freeze with other engineers using Cubase, ProTools, and Logic, and they all mean the same thing to those other people, so I'm not sure what other DAWs you're using where it means something else ;).

 

FYI - With everyone using Pro tools, Cubase and logic. It means to lock the clip it place. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

19 hours ago, Will_Kaydo said:

FYI - With everyone using Pro tools, Cubase and logic. It means to lock the clip it place. 

https://www.bing.com/search?q=daw+freeze&form=QBLH&sp=-1&ghc=1&pq=daw+freeze&sc=8-10&qs=n&sk=&cvid=A28D37239611445D808AD5995C408633

"Every supported DAW has a similar feature (typically called Freeze or Track Freezing) that will non-destructively commit all active effects to a new audio file and disable the plug-ins used to process the original track, which will free up additional DSP in the case of UAD plug-ins. Track Freezing is usually an automatic process, whereas soloing a track and bouncing it to a new track will require you to manually mute and disable the plug-ins used on the original track."

I'd say Freeze means exactly what Cakewalk says it means!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/31/2020 at 11:24 AM, Will_Kaydo said:

FYI - With everyone using Pro tools, Cubase and logic. It means to lock the clip it place. 

That may be... but when talking to these friends of mine, I literally have weekly meetings with a composer using Logic and we both use the term "freeze" to mean temporarily bouncing the synth audio and unloading the synth from memory. 

There are other terms that have been interesting, such as clips are called "regions" in Logic, which I've learned from working with him. 

Similar story with another producer I work with who only uses Protools and Ableton. 

So..... /shrug. Don't know what to tell you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Josh Wolfer said:

That may be... but when talking to these friends of mine, I literally have weekly meetings with a composer using Logic and we both use the term "freeze" to mean temporarily bouncing the synth audio and unloading the synth from memory. 

There are other terms that have been interesting, such as clips are called "regions" in Logic, which I've learned from working with him. 

Similar story with another producer I work with who only uses Protools and Ableton. 

So..... /shrug. Don't know what to tell you. 

Yep.

Bonnet/Hood; Seriette/Napkins; Tomato Sauce/Ketchup

"Freeze/Bounce/Render/Lock." 

You can youtube or google it. 

Potato - Patato.

Different parts of the world.  

Edited by Will_Kaydo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/4/2020 at 3:07 PM, Will_Kaydo said:

Yep.

Bonnet/Hood; Seriette/Napkins; Tomato Sauce/Ketchup

"Freeze/Bounce/Render/Lock." 

You can youtube or google it. 

Potato - Patato.

Different parts of the world.  

And don't forget soda - pop - fizzy  😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/4/2020 at 12:07 PM, Will_Kaydo said:

""Freeze/Bounce/Render/Lock." You can youtube or google it.

Your call. In the interest of learning, I took your suggestion. In the interest of stemming the tide of misinformation, here are the results:

The two that I use, Cakewalk and Mixcraft use "Freeze."

"Avid, the maker of Pro Tools, have introduced Track Freeze in Pro Tools 12.4, this enables a one button freeze of the track and its contents to free up CPU power. With the same 'snowflake' button you can simply unfreeze the track and return it to its original state."- Pro Tools web article

"Cubase has an option called Freeze.....Freezing is done by rendering the track to an audio file, reducing the demands placed on the CPU." -Cubase web article

"Logic Pro X: Freeze tracks....Freezing is done by rendering the track to an audio file, reducing the demands placed on the CPU." -Apple's website.

"Freeze Tracks: An Essential Technique For Saving Power....It takes plug-in-laden audio tracks or virtual instruments and records their output to new audio tracks." -Sound on Sound magazine article on Digital Performer, Sept. 2005

"FL Studio Guru – Freezing is the process of converting real-time CPU intensive synthesis and effects to much less CPU intensive Audio Clips." 1-5-2015, ImageLine's website

"Freezing MIDI tracks: Click on the small arrow next to the track name in the track header and select “Freeze Track”. Now you should see a wave object instead of the MIDI object."  how-to article on MAGIX' website, makers of Samplitude and Sequoia

"Track Freezing In Ableton Live....When a track is frozen (using the Freeze Track command in the Edit menu), all the CPU-intensive tasks are temporarily committed as recorded audio." Sound on Sound article, Nov. 2007

I found one DAW that calls it something else. Studio One calls it "Transform."

Score: "Freeze": 8, "Transform": 1 "Clip Lock": 0

What about "With everyone using Pro tools, Cubase and logic. it means to lock the clip [in] place?"

Google again:

"Locking Events. If you want to make sure that you do not edit or move an event by accident, you can lock it. Select the events and select Edit > Lock to lock the selected events" -Cubase manual, Steinberg's website

"Logic Pro X has a feature that preserves the absolute time position of events....Control-click the event, then choose Lock SMPTE Position from the shortcut menu. Click in the Lock column for the selected events. A small padlock icon appears in the Lock column of protected events." -Apple website

"If you want to lock the regions in a track [in Pro Tools], select them and either Edit lock (Ctrl+L or Cmmd+L) or Time lock (Shift+T). Edit lock completely locks the regions while time lock doesn't allow regions to be moved but does allow some editing."-Avid Pro Audio forum post by moderator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...