Microtone

kyrillos

Question

4 minutes ago, Nigel Mackay said:

Oriental scales are not microtonal. Not the ones that I see.

Just import the MIDI files and the synth will play the notes that are written.

Orintal scales has many quarter tone and midi file cannot recognize it 

Thanks for the additional clarifications.  Correct me if I am wrong, you are playing scales/tunings that have more than 12 divisions for each octave and you want the easiest way to encode midi notes + pitch bend information so that your softsynth of choice will consistently play those notes in Cakewalk (or another DAW).

OR, are you saying you just need the pitch of one note altered in a tuning system that has 12 divisions/octave?

Edited by User 905133
to add an alternative to what I originally posted here; to fix semantic error

2 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

Thanks for the additional clarifications.  Correct me if I am wrong, you are playing scales/tunings that have more than 12 divisions for each octave and you want the easiest way to encode midi notes + pitch bend information so that your softsynth of choice will consistently play those notes in Cakewalk (or another DAW) .

Yes exactly. just play E quarter tone less than the normal E.
the music has all E's in three quart.
how can i get E transposed to E minus quart

• Thanks 1

I will defer to others who know more about this.  I just noticed the original problem was not clear and was curious.  

With my limited level of knowledge, if I were doing something like this, I would (1) see if it can be done with my synth of choice; if not, (2) look for a different synth that has the ability to use *.scl files; (3) look for plug-in that would do this. 

I don't know about tons of plug-ins, so I don't know if there is a plugin where you can set up a note-by-note transposition table.  Maybe someone else knows.

If it can be done somehow using a MIDI FX plug-in, maybe someone can explain how to do it.

• Like 1

I thought of something (a work-around) that MIGHT work, but it is complicated--not something I would do as a first choice option.

Assuming you are composing the music and using staff notation, MAYBE you could put the E on its own midi channel and put a pitch bend just on that channel so it wouldn't affect other notes.

Are you composing the music using the staff notation view?

Edited by User 905133

4 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

I thought of something (a work-around) that MIGHT work, but it is complicated--not something I would do as a first choice option.

Assuming you are composing the music and using staff notation, MAYBE you could put the E on its own midi channel and put a pitch bend just on that channel so it wouldn't affect other notes.

Are you composing the music using the staff notation view?

i write it in musescore because its easier in writing notes.
its been like 9 hours trying to understand the pitch bend and how to do it. any tutorial something simple to read and understand it 

You might have to ask for help with some of the steps, but let's just get the idea going first.

One way would be to have 1 MIDI track with all notes except E, 1 MIDI track with only Es

1) Import your MIDI file
2) Make a  copy of it
3) Track 1, delete all the Es, using PRV is the a quick and dirty method.
4) Track 2, delete everything except Es.
5) Insert 2 copies of Kontakt.
6) Choose your instrument and add to 1st Kontakt. Route the MIDI with other notes to it.
7) Add the instrument to 2nd Kontakt, use the fine tuning of Kontakt to adjust to correct 1/4 interval.
😎 Route the Es MIDI to it.

Repeat if multiple instruments. Only need 2 copies of Kontakt.

This means that all notes except E go to an instrument that is tuned normally. All the Es go to an instrument that is tuned down to where you want it.

Edited by Nigel Mackay
Clarification

17 minutes ago, kyrillos said:

is it Kontakt of native instrument? like kontakt 6 now?

because i dont have it shall i download it or buy or what is the idea?

Yes. But we are talking expensive.

On the other hand Sforzando (in the list supplied by scook) is free. Quite a good set of free soundfonts. You can get other soundfonts/samples. It handles Scala. (With the disadvantage of having to learn it 😟), but is also tunable, so you could use it in place of Kontakt in the above plan.

A free starting point.

1 hour ago, kyrillos said:
1 hour ago, scook said:

As noted above it is up to the synth not the DAW.

Here is a pretty good list of plug-ins with that support microtonal tuning

https://en.xen.wiki/w/List_of_Microtonal_Software_Plugins

the plugins listed are not orchestral instruments

I didn't look at all of the software synthesizers on the list, but I would be surprised if there isn't at least one that can function as a sampler or a ROMpler.  By the way, those are other options--hardware gear (samplers/ROMPlers).  You wouldn't even need Scala!!! Many of theme have tuning tables which can be tweaked from the front panel. For example, my Proteus 2500 has 12 User Key Tuning Tables where I can fine tune each of MIDI's 127 notes.  Not recommending this one for you; just saying that if you had/found hardware that had the samples/instruments you needed, old-fashioned tuning tables should meet your needs.

As mentioned above,  re-tuning notes is generally a function of the synth engine (software or hardware).  If you want to use software samplers/ramplers, you might not even need the ability to use *.scl files. I haven't looked, but I'd think that any software instrument that implements basic tuning tables where you can adjust the fine tuning on a note-by-note basis would meet your needs.

Edited by User 905133
to add a missing word ("need"); typo fic ("meet" not "beet")

5 hours ago, kyrillos said:

i apologize for my ignorance i dont understand what op is and google just shows a none sense result!
i am trying to understand the links u sent me but its like a great ocean i dont know where to start just a simple explain is appriciated

Don't feel bad. It is a stupid acronym that somehow have been standard, probably by years of group pressure from idiots.

It should be TS - Thread/topic Starter - which is the logical conclusion when you're in a forum with threads and topics.

Forgive me, i simply had to get that out of my system. 🙏

Carry on ...

• Meh 1

Thanks Everybody for trying to help. i tried every tips u guys give even with sforzando i tried over and over the system crashes with out and error code.
i saw many tutorials in other daws where they just bent one note and it seems like i cant to it here i am kind of giving up