Adam Grossman

Do You Use Drum Maps?

Many thanks scook for this information and taking the time to make the video. This had been bugging me for a long time. As I said in the edit to my post above, I was able to do it for the first time earlier today and I have no idea why it worked.

However, your way seems to be the best way to go and to make sure it always works. Much obliged!

Hi all drummers! I have been using maps as well as dropping individual samples to separate drum tracks. I prefer the latter. Lately also been testing Loopcloud material, which seem pretty high end at times! But, my additional question is somewhat related to using drum maps. Regarding drum pads, what is the best way to program those 8 midi pads on your controller? I use Akai MPK mini2 and the software that comes with it just sucks. So, looking for advice how to program my Akai pads within Cakewalk.

AKAImpkmini2.jpg

Edited by iZiKKO

Anybody have an idea on how to make the drum easier to read.   ie change color of either text or background?

Sorry,.that was supposed to read:  Does anybody have a idea on how to make the DRUM MAP easier to read.   i.e. change the color of either the text or the background?????   These old eyes are having a real problem with that.      Help!

I use drum maps for keyswitches for Kontakt instruments.  Mostly orchestral.  However, I agree with SG, would be great to be able to see it better.  The contrast between text and background color is nearly non-existant.  And a shot to the eyes if your using the darker interface.

I've been through the theme editor top to bottom, changing every color I could find to florescent pink, trying to find that background or the text color.  And I did the same in the preferences>colors.  No luck.

The only workaround I've found is zooming in really close on the drum map.  And that gets quite fiddly.  Change zoom on drum map and piano roll disappears...get piano roll back and drum map disappears....eventually you get them both back up and big enough to see drum map.  I set it as a lens to save time.

Posted (edited)

Had a request for the Trilian Drum Map so here goes:

trilian_drum_map.jpg

Note that you want to select "Show Note Duration", also set Trilian for Octave -1

trilian_-1.jpg

here's the link to the map
http://deeringamps.com/cakewalk/trilian
right click "trilian.map" and save to your drum maps folder.

T

Edited by DeeringAmps
correct link to trilian.map

I used to use drum maps.  But then I had about a 10 year break from doing anything recording related and forgot how to do all that.  These days I only have edited versions of the "note names" file that I just set the PRV to use depending on the VSTi drums I'm using.  Super easy for me this way.  These days I use SSD5 exclusively, but I also own BFD3 and I'd probably just want the note names for that as well.

9 minutes ago, Myriad Rocker said:

I also own BFD3 and I'd probably just want the note names for that as well

FXpansion is one of the few drum synth manufacturers who implement the VST2.1 effGetMidiKeyName opcode which CbB uses to populate the PRV notes pane names. IOW, using BFD3 there is no need for a drum map or extending the master.ins to see instrument names in the PRV. It would be nice if all of the drum synth manufacturers bothered to implement this feature.

1 hour ago, scook said:

FXpansion is one of the few drum synth manufacturers who implement the VST2.1 effGetMidiKeyName opcode which CbB uses to populate the PRV notes pane names. IOW, using BFD3 there is no need for a drum map or extending the master.ins to see instrument names in the PRV. It would be nice if all of the drum synth manufacturers bothered to implement this feature.

That would explain why I always saw note names back in the BFD days.  For SSD5, I just modified the master.ins file.  Easy enough.