Moving plugins to new PC

KSband

I'm getting a new windows 10 PC and currently have cakewalk on a windows 10 64bit.  How do you get the plugins with registry keys to work on the new machine, do you have to contact the manufacturer to re register?

Licensed plugins need to be licensed. It depends on the plugin. Some allow use on multiple computers as long as only one computer is used at a time. Some only have a single license. Some have license managers - waves, ni, ikm, xln or use a 3rd party license manager like iLok. You have to check with each developer. You can start by looking at your programs in the start menu. Click start and scroll thru the programs and expand any plugins - if you have ni or ikm and expand them you'll see that ni has Native Access and ikm has an Authorization Manager. It should also be clear when you install the plugins on your new machine. Have fun.

I am in the same boat here, needing to migrate all my VST's over.

My biggest concern is that I originally had Sonar Producer installed, now Cakewalk, and there are a ton of plugins that I don't want to lose when I migrate over. Any major concerns there? 

Thanks!

44 minutes ago, reginaldStjohn said:

If your getting rid of your old PC then make sure to De-Activate any plugins first so they don't get stuck on that unused machine

When you say de activate do you mean uninstall them?

40 minutes ago, kurt soderquist said:

When you say de activate do you mean uninstall them?

Some plugin makers will only allow you a certain number of authorizations, and each authorization is tied to a computer.   So if a maker allows you three authorizations and you put one on your present computer, and one on your new computer, then you've used two of your three.  On the other hand, if you de-authorize the computer you won't use any more, and then authorize your new computer, you will still have 2 authorizations left.  I hope that made sense! 

Uninstalling software doesn't necessarily de-authorize it.  If in doubt contact each maker.

• Like 1

You have to de-authorize an activation from your old machine with the vendor using their process BEFORE uninstalling or decommissioning the old install on the previous machine. Process varies by vendor. This frees up the used number of activations with the vendor.

But then you will have to run the plugin installer again from scratch on the new machine and authorize it all over again. No copying files and registry keys... if only it were that simple!

20 hours ago, scook said:

Depends on which version of SONAR Producer it is.

This is a fairly detailed discussion about installing SONAR and CbB on a new machine (or in this case a new Win10 partition)

Thanks scook. I'll give it a shot.