Cannot write file disk may be full

Mo Jonez

Please tell me there's a relatively easy fix for this.  Running into this all of a sudden on, brace yourselves, X2 Win 7.  Have lots of hard drive space available.  6 GB RAM, but maybe a RAM issue?  Sonar's been working fine for a while other than that.

Fingers crossed.

While some applications, e.g. disk diagnostics, are able to tell you exactly why a disk write failed, a speed-optimized program such as a DAW isn't going to perform a detailed analysis. It's only going to report the failure and assume the most common explanation, insufficient space.

What's actually going on is that you may have a failing disk drive, one with unmapped dead spots, a flaky cable or even some bad RAM. Try copying the entire project and then renaming the original and target so that the files are physically moved to another location on the drive. If these messages persist, start shopping for a new drive.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wetdentist said:

isn't this an error that people get if they have mp3 audio located somewhere in the project?

Not likely. Like most DAWs, CbB cannot use mp3 files directly in the project. All audio in a project must be wav (or wav64) files using the project sample rate. The conversion to wav along with sample rate conversion happens when importing the audio into the project.

• Like 1

scooc is correct, MP3's can't be imported into a sonar project.

lapasoa, my drives are large and have ample space available.

Will try bitflippers advice.

Another piece of info in case it's relevant... I am running two drives.  Sonar and related system files, VI's etc. are installed on my C drive and project files are saved on my D drive (just another hard drive with a ton of space specifically to accommodate project files (nothing else on the D drive)

P.S.  peeps on this forum are awesome, so helpful, thanks again.

Edited by Squonk

I remember having this problem a long time ago.  I only had the problem on certain projects.  Seems to me empting the Pic Cashe folder use to solve many issues.  Also if I had too many clips that I used audio quantization on.   The solution to that was bouncing all the audio clips or freezing audio tracks.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wetdentist said:

isn't this an error that people get if they have mp3 audio located somewhere in the project?  i remember this happening years ago

My recollection is that it was reproducibly seen when someone tried to "import" an MP3 that contained certain kinds of tags in SONAR.
The message used to come up pretty frequently as a problem in the forums and never seemed to be due to actually lacking free space. 

35 minutes ago, slartabartfast said:

My recollection is that it was reproducibly seen when someone tried to "import" an MP3 that contained certain kinds of tags in SONAR.
The message used to come up pretty frequently as a problem in the forums and never seemed to be due to actually lacking free space. 

That's interesting.  I likely tried to import an MP3 into the project by mistake at some point before learning it was not possible, not sure, in any event, would that historical action, that did not execute, now be causing the error?

Sounds like the best approach will be to rename and remap the project and associated files, will try that first.

3 hours ago, Jimbo 88 said:

I remember having this problem a long time ago.  I only had the problem on certain projects.  Seems to me empting the Pic Cashe folder use to solve many issues.  Also if I had too many clips that I used audio quantization on.   The solution to that was bouncing all the audio clips or freezing audio tracks.

This could be the issue also, will look into it. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Squonk said:
5 hours ago, Jimbo 88 said:

Do you know where the pic cache is located?  Don't see any program folders related to pics. 

Still baffled.  Emptied the pic cache.  Made a copy of the project file and moved to the C drive (original project file is on the D drive).  Played with the ASIO/sample settings.  Froze all tracks. No luck.

Inserting a new virtual instrument (Dimension Pro) seems to be a trigger point, but haven't tried other instruments yet.

Hopefully my HD's haven't gone bad... that will be my last option.  Open for other ideas

If the machine has internet access, could try Cakewalk by BandLab.

There have been a lot of bug fixes since 2012.

The only impact installing CbB has on 64bit X2a is it will update the shared folders which include the plug-in manager, vst scanner, DX plug-ins and PC modules.

While it is extremely unlikely to cause a problem with X2a, the worst that could happen is it may result in a need to perform a clean install of X2 and X2a. Something which may be on the short list of things to try anyway.

Good advice.  Been thinking about switching and researching the potential consequences on my roster of projects.  So your opinion is helpful.  Need to move to win 10 as well.  Will look into it some more.

Was able to salvage things by opening a new project file and pasting tracks into it from the old file.  Maybe the original file git corrupted, who knows.  Bitch to build back all the settings and fx l, but so far so good.

2 hours ago, scook said:

If the machine has internet access, could try Cakewalk by BandLab.

There have been a lot of bug fixes since 2012.

The only impact installing CbB has on 64bit X2a is it will update the shared folders which include the plug-in manager, vst scanner, DX plug-ins and PC modules.

While it is extremely unlikely to cause a problem with X2a, the worst that could happen is it may result in a need to perform a clean install of X2 and X2a. Something which may be on the short list of things to try anyway.

19 hours ago, Squonk said:

That's interesting.  I likely tried to import an MP3 into the project by mistake at some point before learning it was not possible, not sure, in any event, would that historical action, that did not execute, now be causing the error?

Sounds like the best approach will be to rename and remap the project and associated files, will try that first.

see if that mp3 file is located inside your project audio folder for that song, and delete it if it is there.  who knows, that could be it.  worth a try

• Like 1

I'd forgotten about the old picture cache issue. You naturally assume that a disk-write error would involve the saving of audio data, but that's not the only writing to disk that occurs. You're also saving pictures of the waveforms for your audio tracks.

Over time, these can end up consuming a lot of disk space. That's why CW lets you specify where they're stored (the "picture cache") and to set a maximum amount of disk space for them. Corrupt files in the cache or insufficient disk space in the cache location can result in an error. That's why you'll often get the advice to delete everything in the cache folder as a possible resolution. You've already done that, so that's not your problem, but I just wanted to clear that up.