Sign in to follow this  
David Sprouse

Forever Ago

Avant garde Asian Mozart goes to the circus. That was a good listen! It held my interest all the way to the end. It was fun trying to hear the little stuff underneath the big stuff - nice job there!

FWIW you might consider dropping the shaker volume just a bit in the first section. And throughout, the transient attack on the kick drum beater is throwing off a percussive hit artifact that sounds a bit too much like a digital clip. If that makes any sense? Not really a problem, just an observation.

The steel drum sample is great and well used! What did you use for that?

cheers,

-Tom

• Like 1

Very cool. I especially liked what you brought in just before 2 min and after. I like the bass part and would like to hear that better, not sure if its my listening environment or if the bass sound is dispersive and low in the mix. Just the thing for a Tuesday escape.

I enjoyed this in the main David, I agree the shaker is a little present in the opening stage and like Tom I found the Kick had more click than kick.

Nice track a few mix tweaks will put some polish on it.

On 6/16/2020 at 7:00 AM, emeraldsoul said:

Avant garde Asian Mozart goes to the circus. That was a good listen! It held my interest all the way to the end. It was fun trying to hear the little stuff underneath the big stuff - nice job there!

FWIW you might consider dropping the shaker volume just a bit in the first section. And throughout, the transient attack on the kick drum beater is throwing off a percussive hit artifact that sounds a bit too much like a digital clip. If that makes any sense? Not really a problem, just an observation.

The steel drum sample is great and well used! What did you use for that?

cheers,

-Tom

Thanks for your wise ears tom.  Those artifacts had something to do with ozone and a soundtoys plugin.  Took me a long time to find it. Thanks again!

On 6/16/2020 at 7:16 AM, Bajan Blue said:

Agree shakers a bit loud at the start - otherwise enjoyed this

Nigel

I turned down the shakers, good call.   Thanks for your time and critique!

On 6/16/2020 at 2:10 PM, treesha said:

Very cool. I especially liked what you brought in just before 2 min and after. I like the bass part and would like to hear that better, not sure if its my listening environment or if the bass sound is dispersive and low in the mix. Just the thing for a Tuesday escape.

Treesha, so nice to see a new face (also female.)  Glad you could relate to this.  

Very nice David! Can't say if I'm sorry I missed it, or glad. Evidently you've re-mixed, and all I can say is 👍!
Nice soundstage, and the ending was perfect.

On 6/16/2020 at 7:00 AM, emeraldsoul said:

avant garde Asian Mozart goes to the circus

Not how I would describe it, but you've definitely "painted" a picture; I think that deserves a 👍 fer sure...

t

Wow I feel like I went through a bunch of genres there - the panning on the vibraphone(?) at the end was a really neat trick - felt like it was jumping around inside my head. Cool track. Andy

Andy good to see you.  Eclectic wasn't really the goal so I may have failed. :(. But glad you remembered it! :):) Hope you're enjoying the apocalypse as much as I am.

On 6/18/2020 at 7:45 AM, thegaltieribrothers said:

Hi David,

Very enjoyable eclectic musical trip you took us on there.

Thanks for sharing.

Good Job!

regards

paul 

Thanks for listening Paul.

Thanks HS.  How do I make it louder?.  I go for -12 lufs but it always sounds quieter than other streaming songs

That is certified Fresh!  Your expertise in arranging shines in this unpredictable song.  It's like skydiving over uncharted territory.