Touch GUI

Johannes Hinze

Hi there!

I'm new to the software and the forum, please forgive me if this might not be the right place for my thread. 

I came to cakewalk by searching for a Windows10 Software that I could record with using my touch screen. You see, in creative process, I am really anoyed in using the mouse trackpad whatsoever. I went a while with FL for android, which was fine for my purpose, but latency correction was really bad and my phone's touch screen is honestly not big enough. 

So here I am with my convertible, and I found Cakewalk should be fully customizeable in terms of GUI. So I wonder: Does anyone ever optimized a workspace for touch? What I need, is basically just simple functions, record, play, metronome , move, cut and split tracks. It would be wonderful if I could enlarge Play/Rec/Stop buttons for that. 

Is this possible in Cakewalk? Because if yes, I could really feel to love it, it would be wounderfull If i could switch from simple Demo-Recording mode into Sounddesign-Mixing mode using as a conventional DAW just by changign workspace. 

Thanks for your help,

Johannes

On 6/2/2020 at 4:25 PM, Johannes Hinze said:

Hi there!

I'm new to the software and the forum, please forgive me if this might not be the right place for my thread. 

I came to cakewalk by searching for a Windows10 Software that I could record with using my touch screen. You see, in creative process, I am really anoyed in using the mouse trackpad whatsoever. I went a while with FL for android, which was fine for my purpose, but latency correction was really bad and my phone's touch screen is honestly not big enough. 

So here I am with my convertible, and I found Cakewalk should be fully customizeable in terms of GUI. So I wonder: Does anyone ever optimized a workspace for touch? What I need, is basically just simple functions, record, play, metronome , move, cut and split tracks. It would be wonderful if I could enlarge Play/Rec/Stop buttons for that. 

Is this possible in Cakewalk? Because if yes, I could really feel to love it, it would be wounderfull If i could switch from simple Demo-Recording mode into Sounddesign-Mixing mode using as a conventional DAW just by changign workspace. 

Thanks for your help,

Johannes

The GUI is not fully customizable.

Essentially you can only change the colors and graphics/textures.  

The size of objects is fixed.

I'd suggest learning some keyboard shortcusts (i..e play and stop is just hitting your space bar)

YOu could also setup a midi controler to potentially have those large buttons you want, but that might be beyond your computer comfort level.

In spite of the lack of full customization, Cakewalk's touch screen capabilities are pretty cool. 

If you want further customization and a faster workflow I recommend you look into Elgato Stream Deck. You can set it up with any DAW including Cakewalk

This guy is using it in FL Studio.

You could also look at TouchDAW as an alternative touch controller.

It'll work on any Android device ( a cheap €50 from Amazon does the job ), and it basically turns it into a Mackie Control, but with some extra customisation.

Mike at @Creative Sauce did a great video on how to set it up with an Android phone:

• Like 1

If you don't have a touch screen this is great, or maybe if you can't be close to the computer. Looks interesting! 

FWIW Elgato has a free phone app as well.

Stream Deck Mobile

In addition to carrying hot keys over I especially like the multi functions that are capable of combining multiple actions together that will all happen with one touch of a button. This goes way deeper than DAW control since it can tie into just about any other controls system.