Jump to content
Doug Champion

Non-Internet Version

Recommended Posts

I would like a non-internet related version of Cakewalk. I use the internet as little as possible and these new versions are just buggy, resource hogs. Give me something I can use not a bunch little disfuntional, Windows 10 useless dashboard  technology. Be smart. Do not buy into the Windows 10 *****-ology concept programming that is now being employed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Doug Champion said:

I would like a non-internet related version of Cakewalk. I use the internet as little as possible and these new versions are just buggy, resource hogs. Give me something I can use not a bunch little disfuntional, Windows 10 useless dashboard  technology. Be smart. Do not buy into the Windows 10 *****-ology concept programming that is now being employed.

Your post seems more like a rant than a feature request.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The May early release has an offline activation feature.  Adding the feature requires an update to BandLab Assistant (BA) and Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB).  You will still need a computer with access to the internet but the computer running Cakewalk by BandLab doesn't have to be online. 

CbB offloads an authorization request to removable memory.  Place the removable memory into the online computer with BA.  BA runs the authorization request, receives a re-authorization response and offloads the authorization response to removable memory.  The authorization response is loaded to CbB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2020 at 6:40 AM, chuckebaby said:

Your post seems more like a rant than a feature request.

One might well ponder its expected efficacy in regard to encouraging those reading it to feel enthused about attracting users of a similar ilk to their DAW platform.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2020 at 9:32 PM, Jim Fogle said:

The May early release has an offline activation feature.  Adding the feature requires an update to BandLab Assistant (BA) and Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB).  You will still need a computer with access to the internet but the computer running Cakewalk by BandLab doesn't have to be online. 

CbB offloads an authorization request to removable memory.  Place the removable memory into the online computer with BA.  BA runs the authorization request, receives a re-authorization response and offloads the authorization response to removable memory.  The authorization response is loaded to CbB.

I sure hope this is true, still. My ethernet port died on my CW pc :(

Currently , no $$ to replace the PC and no slots to add a 3rd party ethernet board, either.

So, hoping I can maintain use of CW via this method.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only extreme downside of the way CbB installs is the fact that there's no other way to download it other than using the Bandlab client and it's  is not the most stable of things. Plus you don't even need the thing once CbB is installed, except for updates... Which the client will refuse to do unless it's updated as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

Only extreme downside of the way CbB installs is the fact that there's no other way to download it other than using the Bandlab client and it's  is not the most stable of things. Plus you don't even need the thing once CbB is installed, except for updates... Which the client will refuse to do unless it's updated as well.

From 2020.11 onwards, BandLab assistant isn't required for updates. It's only required for uploading/downloading BandLab projects (and of course the loop content)... which will likely change too in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, msmcleod said:

From 2020.11 onwards, BandLab assistant isn't required for updates. It's only required for uploading/downloading BandLab projects (and of course the loop content)... which will likely change too in the future.

But it still is required for downloading CbB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

But it still is required for downloading CbB.

Well, most software nowadays requires some kind of assistant. Native Instruments, or Arturia come to mind for example. CbB at least updates directly once installed, and does not require the Bandlab Assistant anymore. Complaining about this is becoming very 20th century.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JoseC said:

Well, most software nowadays requires some kind of assistant. Native Instruments, or Arturia come to mind for example. CbB at least updates directly once installed, and does not require the Bandlab Assistant anymore. Complaining about this is becoming very 20th century.

Okay, let's start from the beginning:
- Native Access has slow download speeds 98% of the time, it often hangs while trying to install, authorize and remove installations. You also have to baby the installation, which defeats the purpose of a download manager to begin with.
- IK's Product Manager also has the same download speed issues. You also have to baby the installations.
- Steinberg's will often corrupt or hang downloads over 10 GB in size for no apparent reason. At least it only downloads the products, you have to install them manually.
- Nothing to complain on Arturia's manager so far. Downloads are fast, installation is a no brainer. Automatic installation as well.
- iZotope's has fast download speeds but you still have to baby the installation, once again defeating the purpose of a download manager.

Now on Bandlab's:

- Even if you download the so-called latest version from the website, it still asks to update the first time it runs.
- Often times, there will be GUI drawing issues the first time the program runs, so you're blessed with a blank window that doesn't do anything or ways to get out of it that don't involve waiting.
- In many instances, the client will fail to download and install its own updates. The only way to fix it is reinstalling the assistant.
- In many instances, the client will fail to download CbB, but no error message comes up.
- Much like the other mentioned installers, you have to baby the installation, which defeats the purpose of having a download manager.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wondering, could Bandlab (or an authorized retail agent) sell something like Cakewalk On a Stick through mail or package delivery services?  If so, maybe that would solve the problem for people who want Cakewalk without having to downloading it. Obviously without an internet, the software would be non-updatable, but it seems that it would meet a segment of the DAW-using market that has needs for a non-Internet version.

I am not familiar with how the on-line installers for all the software mentioned above work, but I am aware that at least one offers products on usb drives (for an extra fee).  From my very limited experience, the usb installation still took a lot of time to install (possibly due to highly compressed files that were unpacked and copied) but it did save considerable downloading time.

 

Edited by User 905133
to add "or package"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JoseC said:

Complaining about this is becoming very 20th century.

I'm 100% with you on that. One wonders how some people obtain plug-ins if they are so adverse to connecting to the internet.

Having said that, while grumbling about the need to download and/or use a download manager to get the software is olde tyme, complaints about the bugginess and unfriendliness of a given download manager are entirely fair game. The Bandlab Assistant, which is not developed by the same team as Cakewalk, has not been the smoothest ride.

Having said that, the slowness or unreliability of downloads via a manager may in some/most cases not have anything to do with the download manager itself, but rather the servers on the other end. There's no guarantee that a "direct" download would be any faster or more reliable.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

Having said that, the slowness or unreliability of downloads via a manager may in some/most cases not have anything to do with the download manager itself, but rather the servers on the other end. There's no guarantee that a "direct" download would be any faster or more reliable.

Not when the speeds to download the manager itself are faster than downloading using it. Or when the manager is incapable of recovering from connection/download errors. There's also the whole manual installation thing. If you have to manually install the stuff, a download manager is only a time consuming impediment between you and the file you want to download, especially if the thing downloaded is a regular installer.

As per not seeing how people download plugins... There are multiple ways to do that. There are several valid points in not having a connected computer, especially with Windows 10 "phoning home" every second. Some people download the installers and bring them to the offline pc. Many plugins/software have offline activation options, including CbB. Another way is having an intermediate server between the offline PC and the internet configured only so managers can work and nothing else comes out or in. And so on.

Edited by Bruno de Souza Lino

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

I'm 100% with you on that. One wonders how some people obtain plug-ins if they are so adverse to connecting to the internet.

Having said that, while grumbling about the need to download and/or use a download manager to get the software is olde tyme, complaints about the bugginess and unfriendliness of a given download manager are entirely fair game. The Bandlab Assistant, which is not developed by the same team as Cakewalk, has not been the smoothest ride.

Having said that, the slowness or unreliability of downloads via a manager may in some/most cases not have anything to do with the download manager itself, but rather the servers on the other end. There's no guarantee that a "direct" download would be any faster or more reliable.

Of course, if the manager is not working smoothly complaints are justified. I may have been lucky, but I haven't had much problem with Bandlab Assistant, or any other manager, for that matter. I have a pretty fast broadband connection, don't know whether that makes a difference or not, but this is a non issue here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/17/2020 at 7:04 PM, oneofmany said:

Pick up a USB ether net device. Cheap, removable, and they work great 

Funny you mention that idea. I discovered an Asus usb-AC53 nano. Loaded the drivers. Plugged in the usb device and NO web access.. Going thru all the troubleshooting I can figure out how to do. Windows sees the device in the device drivers window, and it has some little symbol superimposed over. When I check properties, it says,

Quote

windows is still setting up the class configuration for this device code 56

Has anyone dealt with this?  I've internet searched, and tried a few things but nothing so far is working... this is so frustrating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BA has a tendency to balk and tell you you need to update it before you can proceed, then when you let it update, the update fails and you must visit bandlab.com to download the latest one and install it. Tedious.

At least it does have a progress monitor (I think). Most of them don't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, kevro2000 said:

Has anyone dealt with this?  I've internet searched, and tried a few things but nothing so far is working

It may need an explicit driver download. Couldn't hurt:

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/USB-AC53-Nano/HelpDesk_Download/

Whoops, you did already download the drivers. Sorry.

What does the funny icon look like?

Edited by Starship Krupa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

It may need an explicit driver download. Couldn't hurt:

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/USB-AC53-Nano/HelpDesk_Download/

Whoops, you did already download the drivers. Sorry.

What does the funny icon look like?

@Starship Krupa I can't remember the exact icon, but its a fairly standard Windows "error" icon, perhaps it was in the shape of a triangle?? Anyway, keyword, was "was." See, below ! ☺

23 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

I just did a bit more digging and it looks like everyone who's getting this message on trying to set up a wi-fi adapter has some sort of VPN set up. The fix seems to be disabling the VPN.

https://www.partitionwizard.com/clone-disk/windows-is-still-setting-up-the-class-configuration-for-this-device.html

@Starship Krupa Yes, the vpn was 1/2 the problem. Since my day job gave me one of their computers as soon as I had a problem, I realized I could safely uninstall the vpn. The other 1/2 of the problem was my anti-virus.  Windows 10 is pushing hard to get 3rd party firewall's and antivirus to misbehave, thus forcing users to use Defender. Defender has come a long way way ,so I'm ok with it, plus it cleared some hard drive space by deleting Comodo.

Once those 2 were removed from the system, the USB wifi worked without a hitch. Thankfully.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...