Lum Tham

Exported song sounds different from playback in Cakewalk

Goodday,

My exported song in WAV format sounds different from playback in Cakewalk. During playback, it sounds awesome. But the exported song in WAV sounds muddy, the bass are heavy,...everything is horrible. How to fix this?

Thank you

If the bad playback is on the same machine as the DAW, often this is due to settings in the software used to play the wav file.

Some audio players have options to boost bass.

One way to test if the problem is the exported wav or the playback software is load the exported wav back into Cakewalk and play it.

If it sounds OK, the file is OK.

C'mon, man, check all of your settings.  

What software is playing it as a wav file?  

People come here asking the most unresearched questions.

Windows Media player doesn't normally enhance playback but other players might. Also if your using your on board sound card for none DAW playback those often use enhancment to make up for cheap systems that are the norm for computers. I only use my audio interface for all sound playback just to avoid things like this. I disable my on board and HDMI audio in device manager. 

If you want bullet proof playback then use one of the many free Wave editing programs. Gold Wave, Audacity, Sound Forge, Acoustica Basic are just a few. 

How do you export? Are all tracks and buses routed to Master Bus, and Master Bus selected as export source?
Also, when you are playing back the project, are you hearing only the tracks you need to hear. It easily happens,  for example,  that you bounce a track for some reason,  but leave also the original track active, thus hearing the track doubled.

I've used SONAR/Cakewalk over twenty years and have never had any problems with export quality.  Using external audio editors is more like a workflow-preference. It does not affect the sound quality.

Posted (edited)

Dear All,

Goodday.

Many thanks for your reply.

I realized i used the wrong bit depth for exporting initially, i chose higher than 16 bit. My initial thoughts were higher bit depth means higher quality.
Using 16 bit to export it as WAV and playback in windows media player (version 12.0.7601.24460) and now it sounds similar to playback. 

Thank you.

Edited by Lum Tham

That sould not have made a difference that any normal person would hear. I only export 16 bits if I'm making CD's and ya they sound great. But the same file exported at 24 bit will sound a tiny bit better, not worse. Something in your playback must have changed.