The Peace of Wild Things

Jerry Gerber

Thanks for the compliment Tom.  I've never considered myself a mastering engineer in the sense that I don't offer mastering services to others.   I master my own recordings because I know what sound I am going for and pretty much know how to achieve it.  When something doesn't sound right to my ear (after I am satisfied with the composition, harmony, counterpoint, form, etc) it's usually a sequencing, orchestration and/or mixing issue.  If I fix the problem successfully at the stage where the problem actually occurs,  there's not much to do in the mastering stage other than a little EQ, maybe some stereo imaging and if needed some multiband compression to keep  high frequencies from becoming harsh at higher levels and/or bass tones from getting too boomy at higher levels.   Since I am no longer doing soundtrack work and am focused only on making CDs of my own music, I don't worry about how my music works over TV or other mediums that don't concern me.   This too, makes mastering less complicated. 

Best,

Jerry

www.jerrygerber.com

Edited by jsg
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...