Problem with Audio Engine Dropout (12)

Hello,

I am having an issue with the "Audio Engine Dropout" error box popping up when I try to "Bounce to track" or when I try to create a Melodyne effect for correcting a bit of audio. Doing either freezes my audio and when I try to hit play, the system freezes. In the error box it does say "12" as the type of Audio freeze which appears to relate to buffering size. I am using UAD Apollo Twin and have up'd my buffering to the highest possible setting and I have reset my configuration in my preferences as well. I am using Windows 10 and the new Cakewalk Bandlab software, but it was doing the same thing with my old setup of Sonar Platinum and Windows 8. Can anyone help on this? Thanks.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/22/2021 at 1:57 AM, Ianshawn Smith said:

I recently started having this problem after reloading windows and cakewalk on my computer.  I didn't have this problem before.  I get this problem trying to use melodyne, vocal sync, or bouncing to clip.    How do I submit a project file?

hey i think i figure out the issues with this, I've been facing this problem for the longest time but i think this is what's happening:

It happens when a track is set to stereo interleave, and having a stereo plugin on slot 1 and then having a mono plugin (Waves) after that stereo plugin. With this configuration trying to create a melodyne region fx causes a Dropout 12 to occur. Changing the track's stereo interleave to mono or changing that mono plugin to a stereo one fixes this problem.

Do give it a shot and let me know if it works for you, if so ill probably start a new bug report thread.

@JL can you please send us a simple project file on which you can repro this issue? Strip it down to just the track that has the issue. Sometimes there is something specific that you may not have noticed.
@Ianshawn Smith you can upload a simplified version of your project to any file sharing service and send a link via PM to me or to email support.

EDIT: Never mind I can repro the issue with JL's recipe. Many thanks. I'll investigate this and fix it.
Its not related to Melodyne. I think there is a bug somewhere with handling mixed interleaves when creating a region effect that is causing buffers to be excessively allocated.

2 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

@JL can you please send us a simple project file on which you can repro this issue? Strip it down to just the track that has the issue. Sometimes there is something specific that you may not have noticed.
@Ianshawn Smith you can upload a simplified version of your project to any file sharing service and send a link via PM to me or to email support.

EDIT: Never mind I can repro the issue with JL's recipe. Many thanks. I'll investigate this and fix it.
Its not related to Melodyne. I think there is a bug somewhere with handling mixed interleaves when creating a region effect that is causing buffers to be excessively allocated.

Glad to be of help, I actually did exactly that, started off with the project and deleted  track by track and bus by bus till there's one track left and i was still facing the problem. Swapped out the mono plugin in my chain and found out that was the cause

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@JL I have a fix for this. Will send you a build to validate the fix.

It was a tricky issue relating to the handling of mono only plugins when bouncing to clip or making region effects. It would leave the effects in a bad state and that would result in the dropout. This particular dropout is a safety fuse to prevent excessive memory allocation, that was getting triggered as a result of this issue.

Thanks for the recipe since without the specific steps it would be very hard to track down just knowing the symptoms.

2 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

@JL I have a fix for this. Will send you a build to validate the fix.

It was a tricky issue relating to the handling of mono only plugins when bouncing to clip or making region effects. It would leave the effects in a bad state and that would result in the dropout. This particular dropout is a safety fuse to prevent excessive memory allocation, that was getting triggered as a result of this issue.

Thanks for the recipe since without the specific steps it would be very hard to track down just knowing the symptoms.

Wow thats quick! I'm so thankful that you guys are always listening to feedbacks and continuously making Cakewalk better! Cheers!

@Miki Fabian are you sure its the same problem? This is NOT a new issue with this release, but a preexisting mono bug that I fixed due to feedback from JL.
What version of Cbb are you running when you say latest version and are you getting dropout code 12? Its a very specific issue so we need to be careful not to conflate it with other bugs.

I've sent you a link to a build with a fix for the aforementioned issue. Report back if it fixes it.

Hello Noel.

Sorry for delay in this case. I just find your replay now. I belive that's same problem, because when i change input on audio track from stereo to mono, like "JL" writed, everithing working like a sharm. With no problem. It's just strange that it's happend first time after update Cakewalk to latest beta version, never before. I am at work now, so I can't use your fix now. When i'll come back home to studio, I'll use your fix and then i'll give you feedback, if it working. But thank you anyway. Good job like ussually.

Best regards

Miki

Hi Noel.

I just applyed patch from you and everything looks now fine. I don't need change anythink and audio working with melodyne like before. I belive, that you solve this proplem for good. If anything going on, I'll give you know. 

Ones more, thank you. Without you, i can't work with melodyne anymore.

Best regards, keep that great jobs....

Miki

• Thanks 1