Gain Envelopes for Clips all gone??

musikman1

I haven't had to use it in a long time, until today.  Used to be able to highlight an audio clip and attach a gain envelope by going to Process/Apply Effect/Gain Envelope, but I see that option is changed to just "Gain", and a dialog box pops up instead, which seems to only able to effect the entire clip, or whatever portion of the clip you highlight.  That does me no good if I want to create a gradual gain curve up or down. It was a good alternative option instead of having to record automation.

I used to be able to insert a gain envelope and see a gain line with nodules across the clip (similar to how an EQ looks), and you could add nodules and increase or decrease gain, or create a gain curve in any area of the clip by dragging up or down on the nodules. Handy little tool for certain situations.

Did they do away with that, or is there another way to access that now?  I also tried the right click menu, but didn't see anything there either.  Thanks!

MM

Ok, hang on a minute. I must not be doing this right......when I use that method, ALL the clips in that track are given a Gain Envelope. I only want to use it on one clip, how is that done? I can't seem to get it.  I don't mind if it is destructive, I just want to use a gain envelope on only one clip.  Right clicking the clip does me no good, and highlighting just the one clip doesn't do it either, ALL clips still get the gain envelope when I use Clip Automation. There must be a way to isolate the gain envelope to just one clip without affecting the others....

Any help appreciated, thank you!

Yes, clip gain envelopes are shown for all clips in the track. Change the clips as needed and ignore the rest.

If seeing clip gains on all clips is a problem put the clips that need envelopes in the same lane and use the lane's edit filter.

18 minutes ago, musikman1 said:

Ok, hang on a minute. I must not be doing this right......when I use that method, ALL the clips in that track are given a Gain Envelope. I only want to use it on one clip, how is that done? I can't seem to get it.  I don't mind if it is destructive, I just want to use a gain envelope on only one clip.  Right clicking the clip does me no good, and highlighting just the one clip doesn't do it either, ALL clips still get the gain envelope when I use Clip Automation. There must be a way to isolate the gain envelope to just one clip without affecting the others....

Any help appreciated, thank you!

What scook posted is spot-on. Here is a visual aid. This is a blank audio track split into 10 separate clips. Before any changes to the gain envelope it appears as a (mostly) solid line across all the clips. The nodes are more visible because I have increased the vertical size of the track.

556212849_ClipAutomationGainEvelope1.thumb.JPG.9611117833f3aca41d5a32b1f5e65dcf.JPG

Here is the same track but I used the Move Tool to move some clip envelopes between the nodes and the Smart Tool to add nodes. I didn't edit the Gain Envelope in the first clip so the gain in that clip would be unaffected by the envelope.

1742410476_ClipAutomationGainEvelope2.thumb.JPG.9d6409df4b0c4630ab6daae42498768b.JPG

Thanks for the help, and for the JPEGs, much appreciated! This is kinda different than the method I used to use, but it gets the job done.

I agree, seems the best way to go is just ignore the other clips that are unaffected, doesn't do any harm to have an envelope waiting there in case it's needed.

I'm wondering how taxing it is on the RAM to have these clip gain envelopes spread throughout a project.

I haven't noticed any spikes in CPU meter since adding them. 

I'm guessing probably not much, no way to tell for sure.

Edited by musikman1

• 7 months later...