Jump to content
  • 0
Magic Russ

Drag and Drop support for FX chains?

Question

I seem to recall that I used to be able to drag an FX Chain preset from the browser onto the FX bin on a track.  If I am misremembering this, I would like to have this functionality.  Even better, I would like there to be an option to just import the individual effects (and not the wrapper) similar to the way you can do that by shift-clicking on the open button when you do it from the menu.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

Drag and Drop for FX chains is supported just like plug-ins.

Most FX chains may be unpacked after added to an FX rack by right-clicking on the FX Chain and selecting "Extract FX Chain Plug-ins" from the context menu. I believe the only exceptions are the CA-X Amps Producer series created by Craig Anderton. These FX Chains contained some Gibson proprietary IP and the FX Chains were specially built to prevent unpacking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I just tested drag and drop of FX chains in 2018.11.  When I try to drag onto the track the cursor changes into a slash through a circle.  It does this whether I am going onto instrument tracks or pure audio or even buses.  It doesn't matter whether these are Cakewalk chains or ones I just created.  Drag and drop of FX chains does not work for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Are you dragging from the OS or the browser in the DAW? If dragging from the OS, make sure the DAW is not running as administrator. Windows does not allow drag and drop from the OS into an application running as administrator. This is not a problem when dragging from the browser in the DAW.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Drag and drop for fx chains works from the Plugins tab in the browser. Please try it from there rather than the media browser.

Thanks Noel.  It does work from the plugin browser.  I don't normally use the plugin browser, and when I first tried your suggestion I was uncertain what you were talking about because I could not immediately see the folder for FX Chain.  I have a fair amount of menus and the FX Chains is down at the bottom, so I had to scroll to even see that it was there.

This seems to be a bit inconsistent of functionality to me that drag and drop is not supported from the media browser.  The media browser supports drag and drop of audio clips, midi clips, and track templates, why not FX Chain Presets?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
29 minutes ago, Magic Russ said:

Thanks Noel.  It does work from the plugin browser.  I don't normally use the plugin browser, and when I first tried your suggestion I was uncertain what you were talking about because I could not immediately see the folder for FX Chain.  I have a fair amount of menus and the FX Chains is down at the bottom, so I had to scroll to even see that it was there.

This seems to be a bit inconsistent of functionality to me that drag and drop is not supported from the media browser.  The media browser supports drag and drop of audio clips, midi clips, and track templates, why not FX Chain Presets?

 

 

Its in the plugin browser since that's the repository of all plugin related assets. Also we automatically enumerate them as opposed to requiring you to browse to a folder. We could potentially allow dragging them from there but its not where most users would go looking for them.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I'm not most users, I guess.  I see the media browser and think, "Hey, one-stop shopping". 

Also, like I said before, I tend to forget that the FX Chain is there, because I have all of my most used folders in my menu.  However, I suppose I could create a new preset menu for just FX Chains and set the browser to use that one.  Perhaps a tab under the Plugin browser for FX Chains might be a good idea as well.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
5 hours ago, Magic Russ said:

I'm not most users, I guess. 

 

None of us are,

I don't even use the browser for FX chains.

Instead I click the arrow on the FX bin (to insert FX) and then choose > Insert FX chain.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
4 hours ago, Chuck E Baby said:

None of us are,

I don't even use the browser for FX chains.

Instead I click the arrow on the FX bin (to insert FX) and then choose > Insert FX chain.

 

The same goes for me! But I have tried right before to use drag'n'drop from the plugin browser and I must admit it is quite comfortable for multiple plugins. Maybe in the future I go more this way?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

To add on that..

you can click on the insert FX chain and choose from a directory (your last opened file location) then Hold CNTRL while dragging the FX chain to new tracks (this copy's said FX chain to new track). your other option is to create a new directory with a letter (A) or number (1).

This will assure your directory stays on top of the files in the browser so you want have to scroll looking for it. I have a few FX chains directorys as I make my own FX chains on a daily basis. Hope this helps.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1
1 minute ago, marled said:

The same goes for me! But I have tried right before to use drag'n'drop from the plugin browser and I must admit it is quite comfortable for multiple plugins. Maybe in the future I go more this way?

Yes I totally agree with you.

My work flow stems from long time Cakewalk use (Cakewalk Pro Audio 9). There was no browser back then. Old habits never die.:)

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...