Jump to content
Matthew Sorrels

Orb Producer Suite

Recommended Posts

27 minutes ago, simon said:

with all the talk of rapidcomposer just bought this ...

 

cubase 10.5 windows - first try ....big crash ....mmmmm ?

I'm on Cubase 10 Pro (waiting for a deal on the upgrade to 10.5) but it hasn't crashed for me. 

What did you do to make it crash ?I'll see if I can replicate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

kind of user error - just wanted to get them licenced so I  opened orb arpeggios without a orb composer loaded - give a quick warning before disappearing over the horizon taking cubase with it :)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, simon said:

kind of user error - just wanted to get them licenced so I  opened orb arpeggios without a orb composer loaded - give a quick warning before disappearing over the horizon taking cubase with it :)

 

I don't have composer (had heard of problems with it) only the producer suite so try loading just the 4 plugins that come with the latter. They don't need composer.

Also, the chord plugin is needed to use the others so I usually load that first then melody, bass and arpeggio. One issue I have noticed is that one of the tracks can get out of time with the others especially if you are fiddling with the Orb settings but it usually works itself out if you stop and start again and any dragged MIDI is fine.

Edited by ZincT
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, ZincT said:

I don't have composer (had heard of problems with it) only the producer suite so try loading just the 4 plugins that come with the latter. They don't need composer.

 

my bad ...too busy typing ....I meant to say

"kind of user error - just wanted to get them licenced so I  opened orb arpeggios without  orb CHORDS loaded - give a quick warning before disappearing over the horizon taking cubase with it "

doh !!!!!!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

and as if by magic v1.1.1 of orb producer is ready....grab it whilst it's hot

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by simon
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, simon said:

and as if by magic v1.1.1 of orb producer is ready....grab it whilst it's hot

 

Thanks Simon.  Seems to work more reliably in CbB than the previous version from initial impressions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

They just released v1.1.2, guess v1.1.1 had some issues:

a1578e22-32d3-4251-810b-19fad3716578.png

Thanks Matthew. I can only guess at how bad versions 1.0.1 to 1.1.0 inclusive must have been as they never made it to release!

I am pleased that at least it is getting some updates. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this version fixed my original crash :)

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the demo but it keeps crashing Cubase.  I'm having some luck by not using the Melodic module.  I don't really want to have my melodies generated for me anyway. 

But the other stuff is cool.

When I look at the CPU meter in Task Manager, it runs red hot in Cubase and in Unify.  The only way that it really works for me is to just not use all the modules at the same time.

I suppose I could freeze some tracks too..

I hope their plan is to keep improving it for free, and make it less demanding on the CPU.   I would be very upset if they charged me another big upgrade just to get a version of it that didn't crash all my DAWs.

Does regular Orb Composer take this kind of power to run? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just loaded all four modules in Cubase 10.5, doesn't seem very high a load for me, but also not very multithreaded.    I'm definitely not seeing crazy CPU loads though.  Maybe 10% overall average(with all 4 playing) and one core around the 50% mark .  But this is the full version, maybe it's something about the demo?

I'm also not seeing any crashes with the most recent release.  I let it play for hundreds of measures and tweaked and adjust parameters on all four modules without even a blip.  Only odd thing I noticed is only the Melody or the Arp will sound if you have all four plugins loaded, you have to solo all four instruments separately if you actually want both the melody and the arp to play at the same time.  OK maybe that's a crazy thing to want, but it was kind of annoying realizing the arp wasn't playing.

I never really noticed regular Orb Composer being very CPU intensive either.  Neither of them actually generate MIDI on the fly or something.  Orb Producer does have its synth instrument but it doesn't seem very CPU heavy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Running the latest version of Orb Producer Suite 1.1.2 (full) also seems very stable for me (no crashes) and pretty low CPU loading (6 to 7% reported in CbB). 

I'm using all four modules and they all play back fine simultaneously with the latest version. 

Edited by ZincT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the information @Matthew Sorrels and @ZincT   Very helpful.

The demo crashes Cubase all the time for me. I wonder why.     But I really like it.  

If I use it in Unify, you can drag MIDI files out to your desktop. 

I may get it and work around it.   

Maybe I'll send Hexachords a note and see if there's any difference between the demo and the full version.  It looks to me like they are the same, it's just that the demo expires. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

Thanks for the information @Matthew Sorrels and @ZincT   Very helpful.

The demo crashes Cubase all the time for me. I wonder why.     But I really like it.  

If I use it in Unify, you can drag MIDI files out to your desktop. 

I may get it and work around it.   

Maybe I'll send Hexachords a note and see if there's any difference between the demo and the full version.  It looks to me like they are the same, it's just that the demo expires. 

 

are you on 1.1.2 ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My mysterious parts don't play bug gets stranger all the time.  I have one Cubase project when I load will only play the arp or the melody but not both, unless you solo them (using the Solo button inside the plugin, not Cubase's solo).  I have another Cubase project that only plays the chords instrument, unless you solo the parts.  But when starting fresh and adding all four without changing anything, everything plays together.  I've seen this parts going silent unless soloed a few times now so it must be something I'm doing while using the plugins.  The strange thing is that once it is like that, I can't seem to get it to go back to working.  It's stuck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

My mysterious parts don't play bug gets stranger all the time.  I have one Cubase project when I load will only play the arp or the melody but not both, unless you solo them (using the Solo button inside the plugin, not Cubase's solo).  I have another Cubase project that only plays the chords instrument, unless you solo the parts.  But when starting fresh and adding all four without changing anything, everything plays together.  I've seen this parts going silent unless soloed a few times now so it must be something I'm doing while using the plugins.  The strange thing is that once it is like that, I can't seem to get it to go back to working.  It's stuck.

That sounds like what I was getting on the original version of Orb Producer in CbB. I could try those Projects out on my copy of Cubase Pro and let you know what happens if it would help (although I haven't yet upgraded from 10 to 10.5 if that makes a difference).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

My mysterious parts don't play bug gets stranger all the time.  I have one Cubase project when I load will only play the arp or the melody but not both, unless you solo them (using the Solo button inside the plugin, not Cubase's solo).  I have another Cubase project that only plays the chords instrument, unless you solo the parts.  But when starting fresh and adding all four without changing anything, everything plays together.  I've seen this parts going silent unless soloed a few times now so it must be something I'm doing while using the plugins.  The strange thing is that once it is like that, I can't seem to get it to go back to working.  It's stuck.

This is the kind of stuff that happens to me until finally the whole thing just freezes and I have to close Cubase. 

Sometimes I have to close a plugin and then reopen it to get it working again.  

I definitely have to play with the solo and mute within the plugins.  When I use the ones in Cubase... crash. 

But still... I think it will be useful and fun.  And maybe it will be updated and get better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think (maybe) the plugins believe (wrongly) that one of the others is in solo mode.  So they don't play any sounds unless they are also soloed.  It might have something to do with number of cores and/or maybe how Cubase works with it.  Can't tell for sure.  Given past experience with hexachords though I suspect unless I can come up with a 100% reproducible version of it they will just ignore it.  Still I have to admit I like some of the things it's generating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...