Jump to content
winkpain

How to re-install CbB and Sonar

Recommended Posts

I'm moving this post here. My apologies for the double post, but perhaps I put it in the wrong location before.  I would certainly imagine someone knows a thing or two about the issue...

 

I am about to do a clean install in hopes of rooting out some issues that I have that are likely caused by my having Sonar and CbB installed on two separate internal drives.

I will, per instructions found here,  re-install them both onto the default C drive where they "prefer" to be. I will hopefully get all my presets, key bindings, etc. backed up first. I still want to verify a few things:

  1. the uninstaller will remove all the bundled content (synths and such) that came with Sonar (that is also in a custom location)?
  2. these will be re-installed with the re-installation of Sonar if I wish?
  3. and wanting to continue to have access to this bundled content is really the only reason to re-install Sonar in the first place, or are there other reasons?

My plugins: These are all in a custom location on a non C drive. Can I leave them installed there? Is there a reason why this should be an issue as long as I point Sonar and CbB to these custom folders ?

And a general question about VSTs installations, if I need to re-install those as well:  Is there any reason at this point, on a 64bit system running 64bit CbB(and other programs), to install  both 32bit and 64bit versions (if two are offered)  of the same plugin, or both VST2 and VST3 versions??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just finished doing this myself. I installed a SSD to replace my aging hard drive - big improvement.

Go to the old Cakewalk Sonar web site and download the Command Center - https://www.cakewalk.com/Command-Center. Install and run it. It will list all of the software you had purchased/registered with Cakewalk. You can still download and activate that software through the Command Center. Once you have the stuff installed that you want to keep, then download BandLab Assistant. Run it and download/install the latest version of CbB.

It is a fairly easy and painless process, but it does take time using the Command Center. Some of the files are huge. If you are on a metered connection (like I am) you need to watch your data usage.

Hope that helps!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, winkpain said:
  1. the uninstaller will remove all the bundled content (synths and such) that came with Sonar (that is also in a custom location)?
  2. these will be re-installed with the re-installation of Sonar if I wish?
  3. and wanting to continue to have access to this bundled content is really the only reason to re-install Sonar in the first place, or are there other reasons?

My plugins: These are all in a custom location on a non C drive. Can I leave them installed there? Is there a reason why this should be an issue as long as I point Sonar and CbB to these custom folders ?

And a general question about VSTs installations, if I need to re-install those as well:  Is there any reason at this point, on a 64bit system running 64bit CbB(and other programs), to install  both 32bit and 64bit versions (if two are offered)  of the same plugin, or both VST2 and VST3 versions??

Depending on which SONAR install you're talking about, generally speaking, yes, running the uninstaller(s) for SONAR and the relevant plugin or sub-installers from Command Center will remove all the bundled content. If you just uninstall SONAR Platinum though, the content isn't tied directly to that uninstaller because much of that content has their own installers/uninstallers that you'd need to run. 

Yes you can continue to reinstall SONAR and/or it's previous content at any point via Command Center prior to installing Cakewalk by BandLab. 

The content is the primary reason to keep SONAR installed at this point.

 

The main reason to install 32-bit plugins on a 64-bit system now would be more for previous project compatibility. Cakewalk by BandLab is a 64-bit application that can run most plugins through BitBridge. Some older plugins don't play well with BitBridge, and a 32-bit install of SONAR might work better in those cases. 

Generally though it's best to stick with everything in 64-bit. If you have both VST2 and VST3 versions of the same plugin, the only real reason to install the VST2 version would be again for previous project compatibility (although CbB can replace VST2 plugins with their VST3 equivalents when possible). 

The actual location of the VST2 is not that important so long as you pay attention to where that is with your plugin installers and make sure it's in the Preferences in Cakewalk. VST3 plugins have a universal global location, C:\Program Files\Common files\VST3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you, @Jonathan Sasor

My version of Sonar was/is X3 Producer.

Is there any necessity for installing one before the other? For instance, if I already have a fresh CbB installed, can the older Sonar still be installed afterwards?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When performing full installs, as it the case here, installed oldest first. This insures files shared between versions will be the most recent.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, scook said:

When performing full installs, as it the case here, installed oldest first. This insures files shared between versions will be the most recent.

 

The most recent question was in regard to a second machine that already has the latest, unproblematic, CbB on it. If I were to want all the same resources on both, I may want to install Sonar on that as well. So, is a clean re-install of CbB also necessary there ?

Edited by winkpain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A clean install is not necessary but a simple uninstall/reinstall is enough. An update may work too but I would not count on it.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, scook said:

A clean install is not necessary but a simple uninstall/reinstall is enough. An update may work too but I would not count on it.

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...