Downsizing your drives.

kitekrazy

How many of you have reduced your drive storage?   I was thinking is using a few 1TB SSDs and removing stuff I never use.     Much of Komplete never gets used like their string libraries.    I have Live 10 Suite and most of it is old stuff never updated.   The Suite library takes up 60GB. 

One of my systems has a few 2TB drives and I have EWHO Gold and my VSL collection on a 500GB SSD.   I thought maybe I should remove stuff and if I need it put it back on a drive.  I can really pay for 2TB SSDs and the 1TB seem to be on sale more often. 

• Like 1

I recently did a clean out of a few of my drives. I only removed unused file packages like installers where the product was already installed. With the lower cost of drives now I guess I haven't considered it.  If I had a bunch of dead weight I thought I would never use I would maybe be looking to sell the licenses or offload unused programs to an outboard storage drive, but that's just me.

With today's storage options, it is far to convenient to collect stuff that never gets used. Then comes the separation anxiety of letting stuff go, which is a massive hurdle for most, since they can never have less stuff and feel whole. It is sort of the electronic version of George Carlin's "stuff" skit from 1986. His quote from 2:10 is classic.

On a serious note, if you find things that you truly do not use with massive size (installers, sample libraries, etc.), moving those to an HDD will save space. I actually keep a 3TB HDD in the machine with the latest downloads (896GB of "stuff") just so I do not need to re-download anything. The HDDs are bigger and if internal have better transfer speeds over external in case of a re-install. I use externals more for backup, but keeping a large internal has convenience. With the lower cost of drives it is easy to keep collecting, but do not discount the internal HDDs for sheer size. I actually image to the spinner, and the speed is identical for that process as it is to an X4 SSD...  once I benchmarked that, a lot of "raw storage" applications go directly to/from there. Moving sample libraries to/from an internal would be similar.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Starise said:

I recently did a clean out of a few of my drives. I only removed unused file packages like installers where the product was already installed. With the lower cost of drives now I guess I haven't considered it.  If I had a bunch of dead weight I thought I would never use I would maybe be looking to sell the licenses or offload unused programs to an outboard storage drive, but that's just me.

Interesting that nvme adapters or whatever seem to lower in price.   I'm ignorant about those and seen some decent deals on those drives.