Piano Roll Per Track

Matthew Simon Fletcher

Question

Hi guys,

Hope you're well.

Is it possible to have a separate piano roll set up per track?

For example I have a midi bass track that i'd like to see the piano notes but an EZ Drummer track that i've set up custom kit list on.

Currently the same view persists across all tracks until changed - but interestingly if I use a different screenset it resorts back to the piano note view.

Best wishes,
Matthew

13 answers to this question

Once you set up the piano roll view how you want it (the track you choose) lock the screenset.

You can also try using multiple dock scenarios where you set up the track then, Right click on the multi dock tab and choose "Lock contents".  This will allow you to right click on a different track and choose "Open in PRV".

This will then create multiple tabs with different track views for the PRV.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Matthew Simon Fletcher said:

Hi guys,

Hope you're well.

Is it possible to have a separate piano roll set up per track?

For example I have a midi bass track that i'd like to see the piano notes but an EZ Drummer track that i've set up custom kit list on.

Currently the same view persists across all tracks until changed - but interestingly if I use a different screenset it resorts back to the piano note view.

Best wishes,
Matthew

There is a way to have multiple tracks in the PRV, but it isn't perfect. Let's say you have three tracks and you want to have a PRV in the Multidock for each one. Open the first track in the PRV. Right-Click the PRV Tab in the Multidock and select Lock Contents.

1656721129_LockPRV1.jpg.79e66eb38a4ed7f90dcd742159bbd9d3.jpg

Once you do that you can open another track in the PRV and it will go to a NEW PRV tab in the Multidock. If you want another track in the PRV, lock the contents of the second track. All notes may appear in a PRV window but all you have to do is click one of the notes of the track you want to see and then only the notes from that track will be visible.

You can also Undock individual PRV windows without affecting the others. Once a PRV window is undocked you can Left-Click the PRV icon in top left corner to change its docking state. It's a bit confusing at first but it does work.

Edited by Javadude54
Inserted missing character
  • Like 1

Sure about that? I've followed your instructions and was able to get multiple PRVs in the Multidock, and then undock them. So far so good!. But no matter what I did ('lock contents', different combinations of auto focus and auto lock in the PRVs), I can't find a way to have a different track selected in the two PRVs, such that the notes for only that track appear, and are filled-in.

Granted, I might not have the same use-case as the OP.

I want to display bass and drum parts in two undocked PRVs simultaneously to show my (human) bass player and drummer their respective parts, without the notes overlapping each other.  Doesn't seem possible, unless I'm missing something. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John Bradley said:

Sure about that? I've followed your instructions and was able to get multiple PRVs in the Multidock, and then undock them. So far so good!. But no matter what I did ('lock contents', different combinations of auto focus and auto lock in the PRVs), I can't find a way to have a different track selected in the two PRVs, such that the notes for only that track appear, and are filled-in.

Granted, I might not have the same use-case as the OP.

I want to display bass and drum parts in two undocked PRVs simultaneously to show my (human) bass player and drummer their respective parts, without the notes overlapping each other.  Doesn't seem possible, unless I'm missing something. 

I tested that out before posting so It worked for me as I described. Only one PRV window at a time can show just the notes from one track at a time. The method Scook posted, which I was not familiar with, seems to work just fine and would be the best method for using multiple PRV windows that show only the notes from a single track.

• Like 1

Hi guys - thanks for all the feedback.

I've got a few different piano roll views set up looking at different tracks which is great.
I can then set these to different forms of notation - even better.

However loading a different screenset or re-opening the project will always default all of the PRV's back to a piano view.
I've tried to lock this with both the multidock and screensets and it just doesn't seem to hold onto it.

As I change between screensets regularly, this is the key thing that would save me time.

Best wishes,
Matthew

18 minutes ago, Matthew Simon Fletcher said:

They will always go back to being piano notation

If this refers to the keyboard on the left side of the notes pane bounded by C and F in the image below, this has never been saved between sessions. It always defaults to the keyboard image. A feature request to make this persistent has been around for some time. Drum maps are persistent.

Views.05.1.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matthew Simon Fletcher said:

They will always go back to being piano notation upon changing screenset or re-opening the project.

If by "piano notation" you mean Staff View and you have both PRV and Staff View in a Docked Multi-Dock, I have noticed a problem when using custom Workspaces which might be similar.  

I am confused by your use of "piano note view," "different forms of notation," etc.

• Like 1

Hi both,

Apologies for my lack of clarity in terminology - I appreciate the messages.

My first PRV is showing the area shown as C on your diagram.
I have a separate PRV docked in the multi view that, where I have right clicked on the piano and selected to use different names, that align to my drum map.

It is this that then resets itself to the standard piano view.

It may be that this is not preserved and may be related to a feature request.
If so please link me and i'll upvote this and provide request feedback.

Best wishes,
Matthew