Jump to content
cclarry

Expontential Audio Phoenix Verb

Recommended Posts

I kinda wish iZotope would release a version of these so that they'd work without the iLok software (and just go through the iZotope portal). Mind you, it's giving me reason not to give into GAS. (I know - it doesn't require a dongle; i just don't want to install a driver-level copy-protection service)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone has got an idea how long is this sale? I couldn't find anything on PB. Thx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, chris.r said:

Anyone has got an idea how long is this sale? I couldn't find anything on PB. Thx

April 1st for PhoenixVerb, SoundSpot freebie until Mar 31st.

Edited by mibby
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, antler said:

I kinda wish iZotope would release a version of these so that they'd work without the iLok software (and just go through the iZotope portal). Mind you, it's giving me reason not to give into GAS. (I know - it doesn't require a dongle; i just don't want to install a driver-level copy-protection service)

Honest to god is not a big deal, you should really try it. I don't feel it's a hindrance to my system or anything at all.
I've got quite some stuff that uses ilok, no issues so far at all.

What I will never use is a dongle (so I only "use" Cubase Elements, lol).

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Carlos said:

What I will never use is a dongle (so I only "use" Cubase Elements, lol).

Using iLok without a dongle means that if anything happens to your computer hardware (hard drive/motherboard failure) or even some OS upgrades you will lose all your iLok licenses.  And the only way to get them back is to go to each company that issued them and get them to give you another license -- iLok can't help you.  And companies don't have to help you either (though most will).

With a dongle, with or without the zerotime insurance, you can send it back to iLok and they will repair/replace it.  It might cost (not sure exactly the terms) and take a while but the companies don't have to get involved.  If it's lost or stolen though you're out of luck.  Physical dongles don't break all that often, unlike hard drives/computers and as long as you still have it, you'll get your licenses back.  With machine licenses that's not true.

iLok using the machine licensing may be a time bomb just waiting to go off.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

38 minutes ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

Using iLok without a dongle means that if anything happens to your computer hardware (hard drive/motherboard failure) or even some OS upgrades you will lose all your iLok licenses.  And the only way to get them back is to go to each company that issued them and get them to give you another license -- iLok can't help you.  And companies don't have to help you either (though most will).

With a dongle, with or without the zerotime insurance, you can send it back to iLok and they will repair/replace it.  It might cost (not sure exactly the terms) and take a while but the companies don't have to get involved.  If it's lost or stolen though you're out of luck.  Physical dongles don't break all that often, unlike hard drives/computers and as long as you still have it, you'll get your licenses back.  With machine licenses that's not true.

iLok using the machine licensing may be a time bomb just waiting to go off.

 

What about ilok Cloud? I noticed I have 2 to 3 available activations (total) for each license.
If I place my licenses in the ilok Cloud, would they be available everywhere if I logged in with my ilok account?

Still, what I meant is not whether they could get lost, just that the ilok software didn't feel like a hindrance to my system (like using too much power or cpu).
It feels so smooth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

not all plugins are ilok cloud compatabile- phoenix verb isn't neither is izotope

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the plugin companies I have that are ilok cloud compatible are: McDSP, Liquidsonics, MIA laboratories, Process Audio, Pulsar, Sonnox, Soundtheory, Babelson, Endeavor Fx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the Izotope site:

NIMBUS by Exponential Audio

NIMBUS offers even more precise control over the pristine, natural reverb first introduced by PhoenixVerb. Authentic, classic tone meets filter mechanics, compression, overdrive, tempo-syncing, and warp effects, so you’re sure to have the perfect reverb for your music.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, backwoods said:

the plugin companies I have that are ilok cloud compatible are: McDSP, Liquidsonics, MIA laboratories, Process Audio, Pulsar, Sonnox, Soundtheory, Babelson, Endeavor Fx

Wasn’t Slate going that way? Maybe not there yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Fleer said:

Wasn’t Slate going that way? Maybe not there yet?

yeah I seem to recall that. But there was some weird exception where it was only going to be offered to subscription versions of the plugins if memory serves. They've stopped talking about it seemingly too. Maybe it was up in the air when they were sort of partnered with liquidsonics with slate verb and the other liquidsonics stuff on the subscribe service?

anyway sorry to derail thread about phoenix which is awesome. The computer construction guru on these forums Jim Roseberry always used to rave about it

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Fleer said:

Apparently not. Nor does R4 replace R2. 
Several threads on this at KVR & Gearslutz. 
Also, the iZotope Stereo Reverb Bundle includes both Phoenix and Nimbus. 
 

Edith: on the other hand, I think only desperate verb lovers like me would buy Phoenix if they already have Nimbus. But hey, it’s like getting the laptop version for a tenner ;)

 Yep.  I got it for the other machine so I don't have to mess with plugging in a dongle. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

Using iLok without a dongle means that if anything happens to your computer hardware (hard drive/motherboard failure) or even some OS upgrades you will lose all your iLok licenses.  And the only way to get them back is to go to each company that issued them and get them to give you another license -- iLok can't help you.  And companies don't have to help you either (though most will).

With a dongle, with or without the zerotime insurance, you can send it back to iLok and they will repair/replace it.  It might cost (not sure exactly the terms) and take a while but the companies don't have to get involved.  If it's lost or stolen though you're out of luck.  Physical dongles don't break all that often, unlike hard drives/computers and as long as you still have it, you'll get your licenses back.  With machine licenses that's not true.

iLok using the machine licensing may be a time bomb just waiting to go off.

 

This, plus the number of machine install limitations.  

I have heard of iloks dongles breaking though and major downtime to get a replacement.  They also take up a USB port and on many computers this is a huge concern.  Interface, mouse, keyboard, external drive, ilok. Is way more ports than most laptops have these days, etc.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just connecting the dots to @Christian Jones post:

might be enough to push people over the cliff to hit the buy button ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, simon said:

just connecting the dots to @Christian Jones post:

might be enough to push people over the cliff to hit the buy button ?

Seriously, if you got one of the freebies, or even at the $8.88 price, you'd be crazy not to buy this if you
have the money and the need...even if you had to buy Phoenixverb to have
an Iztope product to get the deal...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Gonna pass on this. I just picked up Initial Audio's new AR1 at the $19 intro price. Lovely little algo reverb. Very versatile.

https://initialaudio.com/product/ar1-reverb-effect-plugin/

Early Size: This controls the distance or size for any early reflections.

Early Level: Controls how much of an effect the Early size control has on the overall sound of the reverb.

Size: Increases the size of the reverb space, also has the effect of making the reverb tail last longer.

Width: Stereo width, at 0% the reverb will be completely mono, losing all stereo information. At 100% the reverb sounds as wide as possible in the stereo field.

Pre delay: AR1 reverbs response is delayed by the pre delay amount in milliseconds. This can give the effect of an even larger space or just sound more natural. Reflections of sound usually takes some time to reach the ear. Set the exact amount with pre delay.

Bandwidth: Reduces the amount of high frequencies in the reverb. This would make the reverb sound ‘softer’ , think being in a space with soft furnishings and carpets, as opposed to say a kitchen or bathroom with lots of hard surfaces.

Damping: This controls how fast the high frequencies in the reverb dissipate over time. More damping will make the reverb sound softer and the overall reverb will appear to decrease in volume faster too. High damping means the reverb is absorbed very quickly by the room and doesn’t reverberate as much.

Modulation: Adds a little pitch modulation to the reverb tail.

Mix: Controls how much of the original audio is mixed with the reverberation. Set to 100 wet to get only the AR1 Reverb tail.

Edited by John Maar
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

This, plus the number of machine install limitations.  

I have heard of iloks dongles breaking though and major downtime to get a replacement.  They also take up a USB port and on many computers this is a huge concern.  Interface, mouse, keyboard, external drive, ilok. Is way more ports than most laptops have these days, etc.

Can't someone just get one of those little usb port extension things or whatever they're called that plug into a USB port and dangle there and provide a few more USB ports on it? The thing with that though is that everything that plugs in to those extension ports all ultimately share a single port and perhaps that can be problematic for some devices, but not everything I don't think. Like I currently have one of those little USB extensions that has about four extra USB ports dangling off of it and that's how I plug in my keyboard and mouse and occasionally my phone and camera, so those types of devices would probably be fine sharing a single USB port and you could conserve ports that way, as a dongle (and a real finicky midi device like the Korg Nanos) should probably be given its own dedicated USB port. 

Anyway @Matthew Sorrels makes a good point that I hate to have to think about lol but in my case anyway I'm being forced to buy a dongle to use this Vienna Baritone Saxophone library I'm picking up, so I'll have a dongle to back up all my other stuff. They cost like $30 too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Christian Jones said:

Can't someone just get one of those little usb port extension things or whatever they're called that plug into a USB port and dangle there and provide a few more USB ports on it? The thing with that though is that everything that plugs in to those extension ports all ultimately share a single port and perhaps that can be problematic for some devices, but not everything I don't think. Like I currently have one of those little USB extensions that has about four extra USB ports dangling off of it and that's how I plug in my keyboard and mouse and occasionally my phone and camera, so those types of devices would probably be fine sharing a single USB port and you could conserve ports that way, as a dongle (and a real finicky midi device like the Korg Nanos) should probably be given its own dedicated USB port. 

Anyway @Matthew Sorrels makes a good point that I hate to have to think about lol but in my case anyway I'm being forced to buy a dongle to use this Vienna Baritone Saxophone library I'm picking up, so I'll have a dongle to back up all my other stuff. They cost like $30 too

There are multiple considersations.

Unless you using a hub with an external power supply, many USB outs do not have the power to adequately power a whole mess of things.  It will depend on the power draw of the collective. 

Using a hub also increases the chances any given device will fail to be recognized or work properly.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Christian Jones said:

Like I currently have one of those little USB extensions that has about four extra USB ports dangling off of it and that's how I plug in my keyboard and mouse and occasionally my phone and camera, so those types of devices would probably be fine sharing a single USB port and you could conserve ports that way, as a dongle (and a real finicky midi device like the Korg Nanos) should probably be given its own dedicated USB port. 

There is also another solution like dongle server which is letting to put dongle into device USB port and share it over network. Could provide many benefits over USB hub. Including use over Internet.

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/production-expert-1/2019/4/23/an-alternative-to-ilok-cloud-that-works-with-all-software-brands

But I am never had a pleasure to see it in action live... :(  Maybe somebody here is using similar thing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...