Help - audio dropouts

Max Arwood

I need to test some things, but I'm having dropout issues as well, and having seen some other posts here I'm starting to think the dropouts may possibly be linked to using 32 bit plugins within Cakewalk. I don't get any dropouts in Reaper or Harrison Mixbus 32c, but I'd still prefer to use Cakewalk as it's what I'm used to. 

It does seem like something may be going on, but that is only based on now several folks suddenly having issues with 32-but plugins in projects that just recently seeing dropouts.

@kevmsmith81, can you try  saving a copy of one of those projects under a new name (you can save the project in the same project folder, this is just a temporary thing to test without risk to your real project).

So, once you save the project, make sure you have the newly-saved one open, and if the 32-bit plugins are synths, just swap them out for any 64-bit synth, and see if the dropouts stop.

If the plugins are effects, then first try testing with those effects simply powered off, and if still dropouts, then try removing them, and see if that gets rid of the dropouts, again ONLY work in the newly created version of the project, so you don't accidentally do something to your 'real' version of the project.

Also, please detail ALL 32-bit plugins that are loaded into the project experiencing these dropouts. Perhaps there is something some of us can try testing, using those specific plugins. 

Thanks,

Bob Bone 

31 minutes ago, Robert Bone said:

It does seem like something may be going on, but that is only based on now several folks suddenly having issues with 32-but plugins in projects that just recently seeing dropouts.

@kevmsmith81, can you try  saving a copy of one of those projects under a new name (you can save the project in the same project folder, this is just a temporary thing to test without risk to your real project).

So, once you save the project, make sure you have the newly-saved one open, and if the 32-bit plugins are synths, just swap them out for any 64-bit synth, and see if the dropouts stop.

If the plugins are effects, then first try testing with those effects simply powered off, and if still dropouts, then try removing them, and see if that gets rid of the dropouts, again ONLY work in the newly created version of the project, so you don't accidentally do something to your 'real' version of the project.

Also, please detail ALL 32-bit plugins that are loaded into the project experiencing these dropouts. Perhaps there is something some of us can try testing, using those specific plugins. 

Thanks,

Bob Bone 

I will give it a try - the only thing I will say is I'm unlikely to get a chance to do it before the weekend due to things I have happening, but I will definitely give it a try as soon as I can.

If this is the issue, I hope it can be fixed.  The sonitus reverb and compressor are my go-to for these tasks and the Sonitus compressor won't work in any other DAW, at least of the ones I own.

Although this is helping me get to grips with Reaper and Mixbus lol.  I am liking the mixing workflow with Mixbus.

Edited by kevmsmith81

2 hours ago, kevmsmith81 said:

I will give it a try - the only thing I will say is I'm unlikely to get a chance to do it before the weekend due to things I have happening, but I will definitely give it a try as soon as I can.

If this is the issue, I hope it can be fixed.  The sonitus reverb and compressor are my go-to for these tasks and the Sonitus compressor won't work in any other DAW, at least of the ones I own.

Although this is helping me get to grips with Reaper and Mixbus lol.  I am liking the mixing workflow with Mixbus.

The stuff that comes with Cakewalk, or prior Sonar releases, all work OK in 64-bit land.  It is most likely some 3rd-party 32-bit effects or synths that I was referring to.

Even if you cannot get to the testing I had asked about, can you perhaps list off every 32-bit plugin you have loaded into one of these projects where the audio droouts are occurring?

I could then try to test them out on my system and see if I can determine if there are any issues when using them.

Thanks,

Bob Bone

14 minutes ago, Robert Bone said:

The stuff that comes with Cakewalk, or prior Sonar releases, all work OK in 64-bit land.  It is most likely some 3rd-party 32-bit effects or synths that I was referring to.

Even if you cannot get to the testing I had asked about, can you perhaps list off every 32-bit plugin you have loaded into one of these projects where the audio droouts are occurring?

I could then try to test them out on my system and see if I can determine if there are any issues when using them.

Thanks,

Bob Bone

I've had audio dropouts when recording a vocal take over a karaoke track, when the only plugin loaded at all was the Sonitus reverb on the vocal track - done simply to test a very undemanding situation.

Other than that, I can't say currently as I'm away from home at the moment and not with the laptop that Cakewalk is installed on.

Edited by kevmsmith81

4 hours ago, kevmsmith81 said:

I've had audio dropouts when recording a vocal take over a karaoke track, when the only plugin loaded at all was the Sonitus reverb on the vocal track - done simply to test a very undemanding situation.

Other than that, I can't say currently as I'm away from home at the moment and not with the laptop that Cakewalk is installed on.

Did you mean that reverb was the only plugin loaded anywhere in the project?

6 hours ago, Robert Bone said:

Did you mean that reverb was the only plugin loaded anywhere in the project?

Yes.

Track 1 - Karaoke backing track (.wav format), no plugins loaded.

Track 2 - vocal track, Sonitus reverb loaded and nothing else.

No Plugins loaded on master channel, no buses etc.

Edited by kevmsmith81

Everything was working fine till the ASIO update.  I think 2 updates ago. Only problem was a slight amount of crackling on Very heavily loaded projects.  Now most of those will not play or they play for 10-15 seconds the stop to buffer the play for another 10-15 seconds.

Other than my backups is there any other way to go back to try other versions?  Like with the old Command Center?

Max Arwood

On 3/12/2020 at 6:18 PM, John Vere said:

Echo - W7 drivers no W10 support---I thought so much-- you really just need to upgrade your interface. Once they stop making drivers for your OS your hooped. It's not that complicated. 

For what it's worth, I am using Windows 10 1803, Echo Layla3G, latest Cakewalk 2020.01, flawless performance. So it might not be that clear-cut. I've seen more reported issues with "up-to-date" Focusrite drivers than I have with the W7 Echo drivers.

Edited by Colin Nicholls

I know others that are using older Echo drivers on win 10 with Cakewalk.  For me, everything was working fine till the Cakewalk ASIO optimization update.  I think 2 updates ago. Only problem was a slight amount of crackling on VERY heavily loaded projects prior to that.  Now most of those will not play or they play for 10-15 seconds the stop to buffer the play for another 10-15 seconds. (I know I can turn the restart thing off)

Other than my backups is there any other way to go back to try other versions - Like the Pre ASIO update??  Like with the old Command Center? Or a link from the staff to check performance?  I have the Original file size 674,390.  Could I update it with each of the updates till I get back to Pre ASIO update?

Thanks,

Max Arwood

9 hours ago, Max Arwood said:

I know others that are using older Echo drivers on win 10 with Cakewalk.  For me, everything was working fine till the Cakewalk ASIO optimization update.  I think 2 updates ago. Only problem was a slight amount of crackling on VERY heavily loaded projects prior to that.  Now most of those will not play or they play for 10-15 seconds the stop to buffer the play for another 10-15 seconds. (I know I can turn the restart thing off)

Other than my backups is there any other way to go back to try other versions - Like the Pre ASIO update??  Like with the old Command Center? Or a link from the staff to check performance?  I have the Original file size 674,390.  Could I update it with each of the updates till I get back to Pre ASIO update?

Thanks,

Max Arwood

I'd be inclined to the your last version of SONAR if you still have it to see if the issues persist.  That's what I intend to do next time I'm at my PC with my gear set up. 

Then if the issues persist, I'll know its something with my set up. But if the last version of SONAR Pro works without dropouts, but I'm getting them constantly in CbB, that to me would be a clear indication that Cakewalk is the issue.