Seamless Deeply Intergrated Sampler

Mark Morgon-Shaw

Bandlab seem to be a forward thinking company and I believe their App will draw in a lot more EDM, Hip Hop and R&B Music Producers to Cakewalk 

I know we have had various things like Dropzone  - Cyclone - Beatscape  over the years and there is also the Matrix view but I feel there is  a gaping hole in CBB for musicians who build tracks around samples which should be addressed. Competing platforms have their own well thought out and intergrated samplers and have flourished and overtaken the DAW formerly known as Sonar because if it.  It's an ideal opportunity to redress this.

My starting point would be the Browser. It's already the default place to audition loops and one shot samples so why not put it on steroids ?  Imagine undocking it and dropping it into the MultiDock to view the fully fledged sampler. This could incorporate all the best attributes of those old plugins as well as new features but much more seamlessly. No VSTi to instantiate, a fluid workflow as you move from browsing sounds to working with them. Looping , chopping, editing, mangling and making samples playable across the keyboard would all be possible within the expanded Super Browser.

Once you're happy with how it sounds, drag across to the track view and drop your newly edited sample instrument into the project ready to perform within your track. This will now act as a standalone sampled instrument that can be refined within it's own instrument if needed.         

Quick easy worklow for modern producers - Let's make Cakewalk best in class for sample based musicians

Edited by CosmicDolphin
  • Like 6
  • Great Idea 3

Here's a thread from the old Cakewalk forum that discussed this idea: http://forum.cakewalk.com/Sonar-really-needs-a-sampler-m3499083.aspx

I'm not opposed to the suggestion, as several other popular DAWs already have that feature, but I think that BandLab is focusing development for now on getting the Cakewalk core application as stable as possible. They have not yet released any of the former add-on instruments (Rapture Pro, Z3TA+2) from the old Cakewalk collection. And they would probably do that first, before creating any new ones. Even if it was going to happen. my guess is that it would be a long way off at this point.

• Like 1

I'd rather Bandlab concentrated on the DAW part as there are already many 3rd party samplers to choose from. What would happen is Cakewalk would be inundated with feature requests for their sampler (for some reason people seem to think every plugin should have every feature from every other competing plugin) and it would take time away from Cakewalk. 

• Great Idea 1

As discussed in the old thread, the TX16Wx free software sampler is a good choice for a free plugin sampler. 

It has a file browser, mapping editor, wave editor, and beat slicer.  Definitely worth a look!

They have an inexpensive TX pro version that you can upgrade to that has additional features.

https://www.tx16wx.com/

TX16Wx Software Sampler is a plug-in for the creative musician, inspired and modeled after the best hardware samplers with all the ease and new exiting features of modern software.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, backwoods said:

I'd rather Bandlab concentrated on the DAW part as there are already many 3rd party samplers to choose from. What would happen is Cakewalk would be inundated with feature requests for their sampler (for some reason people seem to think every plugin should have every feature from every other competing plugin) and it would take time away from Cakewalk. 

I do not agree. Modern DAWs (Ableton, Bitwig, Reason, Studio One)which are made for electronic music contain these tools to give simple tools to write beats, slice loops. Of course third party should concentrate more on their products and be kings of synthesizers, sample libraries, etc. 

But things like basic synth, drum sampler are default things for a modern musician.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, CosmicDolphin said:

And I am saying it should be part of that core application

My reference to the core application maybe wasn't clear enough. I was referring to BandLab fixing the existing core features, before adding any major new ones (and this is just an observation/interpretation of what they have been doing, not my suggestion/opinion as to what they should do).

Just some additional observations,  this "Integrated Sampler" feature request has been on the Cakewalk FR list for many years without any hint of getting implemented. The dev's focus for a long time has been in  looking for the easiest features to implement, which have the broadest user appeal. Such as those that would benefit the majority of users. For example, the requests from the notation users for an improved score editor have also been ignored for like forever.  The conclusion was that not enough Cakewalk users would benefit from a better notation system, and the risk to a major overhaul to implement it  might mean breaking other things in the process.

But by comparison, I also have Studio One, and I think PreSonus just did a great job with the version 4 update.  By updating Impact XT, Sample One XT, and adding the drum editing and pattern sequencing tools, they have listened to their users that had been requesting more tools for electronic music producers.

I just don't think that Cakewalk is ready to move in that direction just yet, and as a free product now it's probably limited in the development cycle budget and what to spend it on. Fixing existing bugs is probably a higher priority for the foreseeable future. Although it would be nice to see some cool new features in Cakewalk that would broaden the appeal and make it competitive in all areas.   Fixing what it already has is probably job #1, before adding anything else.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, abacab said:

Just some additional observations,  this "Integrated Sampler" feature request has been on the Cakewalk FR list for many years without any hint of getting implemented.

Which probably explains  why Cakewalk is not as popular as it once was ! 

28 minutes ago, abacab said:

The dev's focus for a long time has been in  looking for the easiest featres to implement, which have the broadest user appeal. Such as those that would benefit the majority of users.

Times have changed. If you are going for broad appeal Hip Hop is now the dominant genre in US music.  If you are saying it wouldn't benefit the majority it's because that majority have either left or never considered Sonar and now use other DAWs that have better workflows for modern music production ( like Studio One ) . 

It's as though Cakewalk has become the default DAw for guitar playing Dad's.  I'm pretty sure that's not how Bandlab want it to be perceived with their young App savvy user base

49 minutes ago, abacab said:

I just don't think that Cakewalk is ready to move in that direction just yet, and as a free product now it's probably limited in the development cycle budget and what to spend it on. Fixing existing bugs is probably a higher priority for the foreseeable future. Although it would be nice to see some cool new features in Cakewalk that would broaden the appeal and make it competitive in all areas.   Fixing what it already has is probably job #1, before adding anything else.

.Well I hope Meng & Co  are ready to move in a more progressive direction, kids making beats on their phones today are the DAW users of tomorrow 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CosmicDolphin said:

Times have changed. If you are going for broad appeal Hip Hop is now the dominant genre in US music.  If you are saying it wouldn't benefit the majority it's because that majority have either left or never considered Sonar and now use other DAWs that have better workflows for modern music production ( like Studio One ) . 

It's as though Cakewalk has become the default DAw for guitar playing Dad's.  I'm pretty sure that's not how Bandlab want it to be perceived with their young App savvy user base

.Well I hope Meng & Co  are ready to move in a more progressive direction, kids making beats on their phones today are the DAW users of tomorrow 

Well if you were not aware yet, Meng is a guitar player. Rumor has is that he is pretty good, too! Plus he also sells  guitars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmony_Company

The BandLab online community has just reached 5 million users, so there are likely a few of those making beats on their phones.  ;)  https://ask.audio/articles/bandlab-online-daw-community-reaches-5-million-users-version-8-coming-in-january

So it's really anyone's guess where this will all go next...

Maybe Meng will show up here and chime in!  :D

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CosmicDolphin said:

It's as though Cakewalk has become the default DAW for guitar playing Dad's.

I've felt this way for years; left out - as a producer that has a heavy Rap/Hip-Hop/sampling influence, not having the basics to get a task done or get a decent workflow going without jumping across to another DAW or using ReWire could mess-up your creativity and your confidence in your DAW (SONAR/Cakewalk).

I hope things change with BandLab.

+1 @CosmicDolphin

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Daryl L. Samuel said:

I've felt this way for years; left out - as a producer that has a heavy Rap/Hip-Hop/sampling influence, not having the basics to get a task done or get a decent workflow going without jumping across to another DAW or using ReWire could mess-up your creativity and your confidence in your DAW (SONAR/Cakewalk).

Thanks Daryl , I don't think some folks quite realise hopw much easier it is in something like Abelton live to just drag a sample from the Browser and be able to play it mapped out across the keyboard virtually instantly.  Such a massive workflow improvement even over a good 3rd part plugin 

• Like 1

hello world! 

Hopin the OP is/will not by any chance be taken for granted...  Modernization of the DAW.

New user here... I love the DAW very much and appreciate the strides taken since the release of the new cakewalk, including the fact that it has opened doors for everyone to create (or at least try to create) MUSIC... using quality software.

I haven't created anything using Cakewalk (by Bandlab), in months, both because I am a beginner and that the DAW is very uninspiring... I'm nonetheless hopin for the best.

One Love

• Great Idea 1

• 3 months later...

Adding a sampler makes sense.  An integrated sampler adds another common music production tool to the daw.

Cakewalk by BandLab has the Matrix view to organize audio samples into a a song project.  The Browser view has a player to audition audio samples.  The base program has the capability to record audio.   All the needed component parts to create a sampler are already in place.  The parts just need to be organized or combined into a recognizable whole.  Having an integrated solution usually is better than depending on an outside source.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

On 2/7/2019 at 11:51 AM, puddy said:

hello world! 

Hopin the OP is/will not by any chance be taken for granted...  Modernization of the DAW.

New user here... I love the DAW very much and appreciate the strides taken since the release of the new cakewalk, including the fact that it has opened doors for everyone to create (or at least try to create) MUSIC... using quality software.

I haven't created anything using Cakewalk (by Bandlab), in months, both because I am a beginner and that the DAW is very uninspiring... I'm nonetheless hopin for the best.

One Love

@puddy Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of DAWs. 

Like you I had not used a full featured DAW until Cakewalk by BandLab was released.  There's a lot to learn and so little time.

• Like 1