Jump to content
jonathan boose

CbBL won't open

Recommended Posts

I haven't used it in a while. So I uninstalled the assistant and downloaded the latest version.

 

"A problem caused Cakewalk to stop operating properly"

 

Win 10 Pro
Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.40 GHz, 3.40 GHz
16 GB RAM
64 bit op sys
Lynx Aurora 16 ADC w/ AES16e card
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It means you did install only latest BandLab Assistant?
Also did install latest Cakewalk via BandLab Assistant Apps tab?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HIBI said:

It means you did install only latest BandLab Assistant?
Also did install latest Cakewalk via BandLab Assistant Apps tab?

 I don't see a separate link for the apps tab at the site.  I downloaded and installed Assistant but I don't see an installer for an apps tab. I double click on the red beaker icon and get this:

 

bandlab pic.jpg

Edited by jonathan boose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

bandlab pic.jpg     image.png.4137cf7ee348c88f04afa080e6b2ed2e.png

Yours looks different than mine.  Maybe its because I am logged in?  Does the app allow you to either log in or sign up for an account?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Bandlab Assistant program serves as the download and install manager for Cakewalk by Bandlab (formerly Sonar Platinum).

SO, once you log in to the Bandlab Assistant, there will be a screen with some tabs at the top, that say: Library, Sounds, and Apps.

Click on the Apps tab/button, and then you will see the Install button for Cakewalk on the bottom half of the screen for the app, and that will take you through the installation process for Cakewalk by Bandlab.

Here is a screen shot of that first screen I see after I log in to Bandlab Assistant (except you won't have the couple of MP3's I recorded showing on your screen, but you will see those 3 tabs at the to I was referring to.

If any problems, please post back and one or more of us will happily try to get you sorted out.  Here is that screen shot:

image.thumb.png.e16c2cb5396dde6e6e5844b0a34e62fb.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

bandlab pic.jpg     image.png.4137cf7ee348c88f04afa080e6b2ed2e.png

Yours looks different than mine.  Maybe its because I am logged in?  Does the app allow you to either log in or sign up for an account?

I've used CbB before so I didn't think I had to sign up for an account... again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Robert Bone said:

The Bandlab Assistant program serves as the download and install manager for Cakewalk by Bandlab (formerly Sonar Platinum).

SO, once you log in to the Bandlab Assistant, there will be a screen with some tabs at the top, that say: Library, Sounds, and Apps.

Click on the Apps tab/button, and then you will see the Install button for Cakewalk on the bottom half of the screen for the app, and that will take you through the installation process for Cakewalk by Bandlab.

Here is a screen shot of that first screen I see after I log in to Bandlab Assistant (except you won't have the couple of MP3's I recorded showing on your screen, but you will see those 3 tabs at the to I was referring to.

If any problems, please post back and one or more of us will happily try to get you sorted out.  Here is that screen shot:

image.thumb.png.e16c2cb5396dde6e6e5844b0a34e62fb.png

Okay, I think I'm on track now.  It's about midnight here, so I'll let this DL while I sleep and see what's up tomorrow. 

Thanks for the assistance, guys.

 

bandlab 3.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never run Cakewalk from Bandlab Assistant (not that I have reason not to, that I know of, I just always launch it from the Cakewalk launch icon.  When I installed Cakewalk by Bandlab, from the Bandlab Assistant, it created a desktop launch icon, and I pinned that to the Taskbar.

I also happen to run Cakewalk, and actually Bandlab Assistant, with the Run As Administrator option - though I don't believe it is a requirement.  

Anyways - try launching Cakewalk by Bandlab from its desktop launch icon, rather than from the Bandlab Assistant, and see if that works.

Bob Bone

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Great Idea 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Robert Bone said:

I never run Cakewalk from Bandlab Assistant (not that I have reason not to, that I know of, I just always launch it from the Cakewalk launch icon.  When I installed Cakewalk by Bandlab, from the Bandlab Assistant, it created a desktop launch icon, and I pinned that to the Taskbar.

I also happen to run Cakewalk, and actually Bandlab Assistant, with the Run As Administrator option - though I don't believe it is a requirement.  

Anyways - try launching Cakewalk by Bandlab from its desktop launch icon, rather than from the Bandlab Assistant, and see if that works.

Bob Bone

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

That didn't help.  And I've heard it isn't a good idea to run it as admin. if you don't have to.

 

Edited by jonathan boose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is all Windows Update maintenance applied? The error in your initial screenshot is an access violation, meaning the application is playing with memory it doesn't control or have access to.

Might your antivirus software possibly be interfering?  Try temporarily suspending your antivirus software and then try launching CbB, from its launch icon.

Whatever is happening is almost certainly local to your computer, and therefore almost certainly solvable.

Any other message when you tried launching CbB using its launch icon?

Bob Bone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It loads a bunch of plugins, the goes to "loading regions".

It lists a lot of deleted tracks, I hit "skip all".

During the "preparing project" phase, it quits.

It's nearly 2:00 AM -- I'm turning in for the night. I'll check back in the morning.

2020-02-13_015316-loading regions.jpg

2020-02-13_015354.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Robert Bone said:

Is all Windows Update maintenance applied? The error in your initial screenshot is an access violation, meaning the application is playing with memory it doesn't control or have access to.

Might your antivirus software possibly be interfering?  Try temporarily suspending your antivirus software and then try launching CbB, from its launch icon.

Whatever is happening is almost certainly local to your computer, and therefore almost certainly solvable.

Any other message when you tried launching CbB using its launch icon?

Bob Bone

 

It's set to automatic update maintenance. Before I turn off anti-virus, can someone tell me why auto update seems to be paused until 3-19? I didn't do that. Also there seem to be some pending updates. I'm not being prompted to restart and I thought it was set to auto-restart in 20 minutes or something after giving me a heads up. Is someone's spidey sense tingling?

1345743190_0-2020-02-13_110126-pauseupdates2.jpg.044d90c7542269ce1139d8c0af6a0a68.jpg424915576_0-2020-02-13_110126-pauseupdates.thumb.jpg.d686381a875b3d0a4ef7b808616e0d37.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I opened a simple 2 track template I had saved from the desktop icon. It loaded instantly.  There are no plugins or recorded tracks on it. But CbB opened the last time I used it with actual projects.

 

0-template.thumb.jpg.56f01ce1366a032dbc146092b9c13343.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, jonathan boose said:

 Before I turn off anti-virus, can someone tell me why auto update seems to be paused until 3-19? I didn't do that. 

Based on the screen shot, it looks to me like pause is off.  If so, the note below it about 3-19 is telling you that IF you turn it on, THEN the update will be paused until then. 

That would mean you are correct when you said you didn't do that--unless you turned it on and then off again.

At least that's how I understand the screen shot you posted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, okay, 9.  I didn't notice that. Thanks.

With any analog gear, a slider switch in the position opposite that which is labeled off would be on.  Hence the confusion.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have not yet done so - I suggest you click on the Install Now button, to tell Windows to go ahead and install those pending updates.

When those updates finish installing - and please note that they may not all be applied in a single update pass, if any of those require a restart - which is almost certainly the case with the cumulative updates, but really, any one set of updates may require a restart prior to continuing on to any other updates - just depends on how they published them.  Windows knows what to do there, so just install/restart as needed, until all of those pending installs are complete.

Now, once the last of THOSE updates finishes installing/restarting, there still may be an additional set of updates to one or more of the ones you just installed, or some altogether new ones yet to be downoaded and installed, SO, even though with the above updates, it will tell you that you are Up To Date - I recommend you tell it to Check for Updates one additional time, to pick up any of the stragglers.

Then, I suggest you try your project again.  If it is still failing, and if it is any interest to you, I would be happy to work with you to try to get your project open on MY system, just to see what happens.  (we would just need to coordinate your uploading your project to something like Dropbox, and my accessing a shared link to that project folder so I can download and try opening it).

Bob Bone

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also - I only susggested you temporarily 'suspend' your antivirus (and stay clear of the internet anytime your antivirus is not active), just long enough to try opening your project, to rule out any interference with your project by something the antivirus software is doing.  As soon as you know if your project opens or not in that case, you would absolutely want to tell antivirus software to be fully active again.

On MY system, I have the antivirus software (Avast on my system), set to protect anything I am downloading, anything on the web that I visit, and to scan any file I open on my system.  Now, since scanning of any and all files being opened or written can certainly slow down the massive amount of audio streaming that goes on with my having insane numbers of sample files for all of the sample-based instruments/synths I use in just about all of my projects, I subsequently went into my Avast user interface, and added a specific collection of folders to what Avast labels as 'Exceptions', and once those folders are added to that list of exceptions, then Avast will skip scanning any folders and the sub-folders within those folders.  The reason that is an OK thing to do, is that each and every one of those files within each and every one of those folders and subfolders, were already fully scanned when I either downloaded them or installed them from DVD's, so they are already found to be free and clear from viruses and malware.  Be excluding those specific folders/sub-folders/files from being scanned anytime they are accessed, I avoid any impact to the speed of streaming/reading them, from the antivirus software's otherwise analytical examination of them.  MANY folks also do this, to keep the streaming audio as efficient and speedy as possible, which benefits any Cakewalk projects that rely on the files within any of those folders.

So, the above is why I suggested the temporary suspension of Avast - for testing whether or not that is a factor in Cakewalk having trouble opening your project(s), and the additional information is my thoughts and recommendations on how to help keep your antivirus software from adversely affecting/impacting the streaming audio processing of the files and folders in the Exceptions list (which also would include any audio files in your projects - which would have either been created within your project, by recording audio tracks/clips, but also any imported audio you added to your project - which would have been scanned by the antivirus software whenever you had either downloaded those audio files from the web, or had ripped them from CD or DVD, or wherever you got them from, so that having your antivirus software skip various Cakewalk-related folders and your sample-based sounds, does not expose your system to malicious evil attacks.

Please evaluate the above, and if any of what I tried to explain needs clarification or I simply confused or alarmed you, please just indicate so, and I (and hopefully others), will respond to make sure you understand what I posted above.  :)

My list of Exceptions in Avast (some antivirus software products use different terms, like 'Exclusions' or 'White-Listed' etc....) includes, my sample library folders, the Cakewalk Content and Cakewalk Projects folders, and 'AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\* ' for my Windows User.

Lastly, here is a partial screenshot of that Exceptions dialog box in Avast:

image.thumb.png.08607045d51ae46c381df7f9ebc1bf1d.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...