General Error on Save (Workaround Found)

Larry Jones

What does this mean? When I save this project, it appears to be saving it, but then a message box pops up titled "Cakewalk," with the message "General Error" and an OK button. No further information. I can keep working on the project, but yesterday I got this same error on closing the project and I retried a few times, then I just closed the project, hoping one of the save attempts worked. But no: I can no longer open that project because "The file is truncated." Opening in safe mode gives me an empty project.

Today I'm working on an old safety copy of that project, and it's been fine for eight hours (saved several times successfully), but now I'm back to "General Error" when I go to save. I get the same error when I try to save a copy. Anybody have an idea about this, or seen it before? Thanks!

UPDATE: The last thing I did before the above problem happened was to archive four MIDI tracks and four audio tracks, I just un-archived those tracks and I was able to save the project. Don't know if these things are related, but thought I'd mention it, just in case.

Edited by Larry Jones
Updated info

Often toggling the transport will also get past the error. I believe it is an unspecified write error coming from Windows. The subject occasionally came up on the old forum. For more reading on the subject Google site:forum.cakewalk.com General Error

• Like 1