Starise

Converting Audio To Midi In Cakewalk

Posted (edited)

On 5/23/2021 at 12:03 AM, Noel Borthwick said:

You do need melodyne to do audio to midi conversion. However, even the lapsed demo version (I.e. free limited version) will continue to handle this.

I tried to uninstall and reinstall Melodyne Editor, but even after i uninstalled it( which was too a hectic process bcoz another administrator of Windows 10 was marking Melodyne as a dangerous software, so I had to use Command Prompt, with admin rights, to uninstall it), I can't seem to reinstall it through Bandlab Assistant. In the Addons window, the Melodyne option is ticked and greyed out, which should mean its still installed but I checked it and its not installed on my pc. So no idea what's the issue. I didn't try the Cakewalk feature of converting audio to midi, until a few days ago, bcoz I didn't know about it, but from the first time that I tried to use this feature, it didn't work. Everytime I drag my audio clips to a midi or instrument track, the dialog box pops up asking for confirmation to convert audio to midi, I click Ok, the processing bar appears on the top in the Transport Module for a few seconds and shows it's processing but after that no new midi clip appears on the track. No conversion occurs. So now I cant even reinstall Melodyne Editor and cant even use the audio to midi conversion feature.

Edited by In A Week

On 5/22/2021 at 10:00 AM, User 905133 said:

I occasionally used audio to midi conversion within SONAR, too.  I was later led to believe by things I read that what seemed to me to be SONAR conversion actually used Melodyne (which used to be bundled with SONAR).  I know I used to be able to do polyphonic conversions without any clue that it involved Melodyne.  But a year or so ago, the polyphonic conversion disappeared. Not sure if that was because I updated from Essentials 2 (or whatever version came bundled with SONAR) to whatever version of Essential I now have.

I suppose if there are no satisfactory alternatives and polyphonic conversion is a must-have feature, the cost of Melodyne Editor would be worth the expense.

@pbognar Was/Is the conversion in Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio with Essential 5 polyphonic?

In order to perform polyphonic audio to MIDI conversion in Mixcraft 9, you need to have Melodyne 5 Editor or Studio installed.  It is the same for Cakewalk.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pbognar said:

In order to perform polyphonic audio to MIDI conversion in Mixcraft 9, you need to have Melodyne 5 Editor or Studio installed.  It is the same for Cakewalk.

Sorry to hear, but thanks for confirming this.  It seems unlikely I will ever be able to get back whatever I had at one point that let me do polyphonic audio to midi conversion within SONAR/Cakewalk.  Oh well.  😞