Render Bit Depth Setting??

Rod L. Short

52 minutes ago, Rod L. Short said:

In File >Audio Data what should the Render Bit Depth setting be set at? Mine is at 32 bit. Should it be at 64 bit?

32 is fine. This basically refers to what bit depth it renders audio to within the project, as in when you bounce to tracks/clips. Considering it's standard to record at 24-bit from the hardware, this then gives you slightly better when processing audio internally. 

• Like 1

So first off lets remember that 64 bit Double Precision in Driver Settings is how the data is processed.
Render Depth 64 bit in Audio Data is the size of the resulting file, twice as big as the 32 bit file.
We render 24 bit recordings at 32 bits to avoid "rounding" errors: at least this is my understanding.
And since everything below 16 bits we can't hear anyway, to my ear (pun intended?), 32 is plenty.
Lets not get into the "discussion" (you all know what I mean), we've beat this horse enough.

Drive space is "cheap" these days, if you want to record at 96k and render at 64, fill them drives up!
For me, 48k 24bit in, render at 32 bit, export at 44.1k 16.

1 hour ago, Rod L. Short said:

any benefit/detriment to rendering at 64 bit

To answer your question, in 25 words or less (actually 6), file size is the only difference.

Tom

• Like 2

• 1 year later...