Solved!! "Audio" folder becomes "read-only"

ot ouss

Question

When I save the project with new file name, sometimes attached message pops up.
This does not happen frequently but surely does.
Does anyone have similar experience and know why it happens?
My solution is 
- Rename "Audio" folder to "Audio1"
- Create new "Audio" folder
- Copy all files in "Audio1" folder back to new "Audio"
Now I can save the project with new name.

I guess something my operation could cause this problem but I have no clue.

Thank you for your support in advance.

Screenshot.png

Edited by ot ouss

20 answers to this question

Check quick with Windows Explorer and right-click your top level Projects folder and select "Properties." On that first (General) tab there is a "Read-Only" checkbox in the Attributes section at the bottom. It has probably got a black box in it because some folders are set to read-only (if they are all read-only, it has a check mark; if there are no read-only's it is blank).  This can happen when archiving/moving folders around, particularly between PCs. Click on that Read-only box until the box clears, then hit Apply and select "Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files" in the next popup. You will need to have the projects closed to change attributes (best to just close Cakewalk as well to be sure nothing it in use).

Edited by mettelus

Thank you all for your comments.
@Promid, OS is Windows 11 Japanese also it happened on Windows 10 before.
@mettelus, I reconfirmed your points but no help.  Indeed I can't find any difference between the properties of good folder and problem folder.
@kurre, Promidi, Glenn Santon, that exclamation mark are added after problem occurred to distinguish the folders for my trouble shooting purpose. 
So I deleted the exclamation marks again my issue still remains.

Yes, I tested it under D drive, no change. 
Interesting thing might be, when I copied the whole  "tomorrow" folder on C drive to my local network drive (NAS) and copy it back to the newly created temp folder on C drive then the problem disappears!!
So it seems copying the problematic Audio folder to the other location in the same local PC drive the problem stays but once it copied out to network drive the problem disappears.
So something on folder properties must be modified when it copied to the network drive.
Does anyone know how to inspect/ compare the folder properties in detail??

Sorry it might be no longer Calkwalk discussion..

Edited by ot ouss

R is Read Only.  Uncheck this in the folder properties dialog box to be able to write to it.  (right click on the folder in Windows Explorer and choose Properties to get this dialog)

D is Directory. 

This might be helpful if the above doesn't work

https://community.spiceworks.com/t/cannot-remove-read-only-attribute-from-certain-folders/398650/5

Edited by Amberwolf

4 hours ago, ot ouss said:

So something on folder properties must be modified when it copied to the network drive.

This was what I was wondering initially in case those folders had been copied/moved from another computer (the read-only will often get applied doing this).

I am not sure if you are familiar with xcopy/robocopy, but robocopy in particular has a nasty default of adding H (hidden) to both directories and files, so when you copy, things "vanish." The default robocopy command I use is:

robocopy "[source]" "[target]" /A-:RASH /xo /fft /xj /e /j /njh /njs /ndl

Note: I always use quotes, since they are required for anything with a space in the name (e.g., Program Files). The /A-:RASH is very important, because it forces those 4 attributes to be removed during the copy (regardless of what they were for the source). Doing that in Windows Explorer is sometimes hit-or-miss (what I posted above), but robocopy has never failed. More details on the robocopy can be found here (xcopy is faster, but robocopy is more robust).

Ideally you should not have any of these issues when saving projects.  In last 30 years of using Cakewalk, I have just saved projects to a folder with no read errors, no read only stuff.  It just works.   Something funky must be going on with your PC.

Even though, even this should not be necessary, what happens if you run Cakewalk as administrator?

Failing that, maybe drop a note to Cakewalk support (though not really being a Cakewalk issue per-see, they may say so)

https://help.cakewalk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Another way out there option:  Because you are running Japanese Windows, maybe your Cakewalk by Bandlab also needs to be set to Japanese?  Preferences - Customisation - Display > Language

Dear all,

I was able to change the problematic folder's attribute with command line such as 
attrib -r /s /d "target folder"
After issuing this command the problematic folder's attribute was changed from RD to D also my problem disappeared.
I still don't know why this happened but now I would like close this thread because this problem do not happen frequently.
Thank you all for your valuable advise and support.

Well, the whole point of read-only is that nothing can write to it, so it protects the stuff inside (folders or files).  

If you don't want something to be written to, that's what R is for (read only).  

If you want to write to it, then you don't want to set it to read only.

It's a file system thing, and programs can't override the file system unless they literally do that by changing the file or folder attributes.

It's possible to write a program such that it could do that anytime it saves a file (first remove any readonly attribute), but that's usually a bad idea to allow...what if you had a version of a file  you had set to read-only on purpose to protect it from being written over, to preserve it?  A program that could write to it would then destroy what you had in it, probably without any notification to you, and you'd only find that out later when you open it again. :/

Dear Amberwolf,
Thank you very much for your detail explanation. I fully understand the concept.

Now my only question remaining is there might be someone (like me) who is just curious to see the file size inside the Audio folder which properties are usually set to "music" and no file size shown. 
Then he might want to change the properties from "music" to "document".....  That's what I do often with other applications.
Anyway I will close this thread now (again).
Thank you.

This is a self follow-up.
I've figured out why this problem happens and am able to duplicate it as follows.
If I change the properties of the "Audio" folder from default to say "Documents" the attribute of the Audio folder changed from D (default) to RD (Read only).
According to Microsoft this is Windows spec.
In this condition I can not save the project with new file name (save as) but I can save it without file name change.
I feel this is too strict from user view point and CbB should accept "RD" condition but now I can live with this condition as I can avoid the situation with care.

Edited by ot ouss
  • Like 1