Sonar disrupts streaming services

JayCee99

I found out, that, when starting Sonar, the streaming with Amazon Music oder Tidal is disrupted. This is strange because in Sonar I only activated the Asio In / Out Driver and the streaming services use the Mainboard audio output. CbB shows the same behavior.

Is there a way to prevent the disrupting of the streaming services? 

Both Sonar & CbB enumerate all audio interfaces on start up, so it can correctly show which ones are available.  Depending on how the drivers are written for those interfaces, it could cause a temporary glitch in any existing audio being played.

With Focusrite devices (or at least the 2nd gen 2i2 and the 3rd gen 8i6), if I start Cakewalk or Sonar while playing audio though my browser (Firefox), I get a half a second interruption in the audio.

However, this seems to only happen with their later drivers.  This is why I am still on the 2020 Focusrite beta drivers (see sig).  This particular version does not experience this interruption.

Also, with the latest Focusrite drivers, if I have a standalone synth open that uses ASIO mode, and I start Cakewalk or Sonar, Cakewalk or Sonar does not see the Focusrite 8i6 audio interface at all.  If I want to run Cakewalk or Sonar and a standalone synth, I have to start Cakewalk or Sonar first, then start the standalone synth.  Again, this does not occur with the 2020 Focusrite beta drivers.

I never really reported this to Cakewalk as I just put this down to the Focusrite drivers and live with it (staying on the 2020 Focusrite beta drivers that is)

If you are getting an interruption when using ASIO even though streaming is not using that device, check if you have any “fake” asio driver such as ASIO4All or its variants. If any of those are present, as part of Sonar’s start up when the ASIO drivers are enumerated and checked those drivers will potentially reinitialize other audio devices causing the problem you are seeing. 
Other than that there is no way that Sonar can affect a different device since in ASIO mode it only talks to ASIO devices.

I definitely have not got ASIO4All or any of its variants installed. 

I am putting this issue on my PC down to an issue with the latest Focusrite drivers.  As mentioned, on my pc,  the 2020 Focusrite beta drivers does not exhibit this issue - and I have no issues with these drivers on my old rig.