Take lanes nightmare - clips changing length ignoring my cuts. Does not react to CTRL+Z

Wojtek Stecyszyn

Question

Hello

Have anyone seen this?

Sometimes when working on take lanes the clips will become bigger, and start to overlap each other - please watch the video. It can mess up all comping. Before it looks like a regular nice and clean comping with precise cuts and everything and one moment and it's all a mess. I would not bother with it if it could be undone with ctrl+Z but IT DOES NOT RESPOND TO CTRL+Z When it hapens it stays. I had already many situations like this. When it happens it's a nightmare to clean this up. Only hope left is that this coming work before corruption is saved in backup copy.

3 answers to this question

I am not sure I see the problem you are having.  My understanding of take lanes is that are meant for doing many takes of the same part of a song and then picking the best pieces.  Most of the time the take lanes work well for this.

Where you start to get into trouble is if you use the take lanes like separate tracks and want to start editing and moving things around. It gets confused about which clips to  leave un-muted and where the cross over points are.

In my experience I have the best luck when i just split the clips, by dragging in the lower half of the clip to define a new selected area, and do this for the whole track. Then collapse the takes and just edit in the track by moving the cross over points and slip-editing the individual clips to get the timing correct.

I know this doesn't answer your question. I just think that the take lanes start to really get messed up if play with them too much. 

Maybe Ripple Edit is accidently on?

Or maybe the Shift key is sticking on your keyboard?

The reason I say this is the way to create overlapping boundaries in take lanes is to hold down the Shift key while moving them. However, Cntrl-z should Undo this regardless. But Shift-Cntrl-z is Redo.

The video is short, but it looks to me a s if you know how to do comp edits. So, something else must be wrong.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Base 57 said:

Maybe Ripple Edit is accidently on?

Or maybe the Shift key is sticking on your keyboard?

The reason I say this is the way to create overlapping boundaries in take lanes is to hold down the Shift key while moving them. However, Cntrl-z should Undo this regardless. But Shift-Cntrl-z is Redo.

The video is short, but it looks to me a s if you know how to do comp edits. So, something else must be wrong.

Ripple Edit is OFF

Yes, Im good in comping and working on take lanes.  I spend there a lot of time during editing. I know this function well enough to know that THIS is a bug. A terrible one because it can't be undone. When I press CRTL+Z  Cakewalk will udo every step that I've made but not THIS  change.  Like it's not on the undo/redo list.

If anyone would like to recreate similar situation please do some regular comping and then select all clips on all take lanes copy and paste into other project that has slower tempo. 

Actually this is exactly what I did for the purpose of this post. But it does happen once in a while on its own, within one project without copying and changing tempo. The difference then is only that not all clips are affected and those that are affected are longer only in one direction - further.

I have found no info about this anywhere. I don't have much hope that anyone could help. 

It's only making me want to make more backup copies of projects :)

A good side in the end.

Edited by Wojtek Stecyszyn