Little Wing (Jimi Hendrix Cover) **Full Band Collaboration (Based on Clapton/Crow Cover Verson)

Ross Smithe

**UPDATED- remixed to try to bring out drum kick, as suggested by Wookie. Also tried to tame cymbal crashes a bit.

Had a blast collaborating with some cohorts from Bandlab to create this version of the Jimi Hendrix classic Little Wing! This rendition is based on the Eric Clapton/Sheryl Crow live cover version. Off the charts effort by a truly international cast in putting this together: Fabian (Argentina)- Bass; Ross M (Australia)- Guitar; Craig (US)- Drums; Fiz (Italy)- Sax; Tone (Norway)- Female Vocals. I am on Vocals/Organ/Electric Piano/Synth/Mix. For workflow, I recorded all my parts in Calewalk by BandLab, and posted them along with a full scratch track in a project on BandLab. The collaborators then posted their individual parts in the project, either recorded directly on BandLab or in their own DAW and uploaded. I then downloaded their finished parts and brought back into CbB to mix and master.

Edited by Ross Smithe
  • Like 6

Sounds quite good here, all the voices have their own space and can be clearly be heard, just one tiny little nit, could do with a little more weight on the kick not quite punching through the mix, I can hear it but it doesn't quite have the presence I would expect. . Unless you were going for a more  retro mix.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Wookiee said:

Sounds quite good here, all the voices have their own space and can be clearly be heard, just one tiny little nit, could do with a little more weight on the kick not quite punching through the mix, I can hear it but it doesn't quite have the presence I would expect. . Unless you were going for a more  retro mix.

Hey Wookie, thanks for the listen and feedback! Good ear and good call on the kick drum! One of the challenges I've experienced with this type of collaboration production/mixing is that though many of these players are really good, they're all over the map on their recording skill. Some of them make really clean and balanced tracks for the project, and others not as much. Craig, this particular drummer, somehow or other records his acoustic drum kit, and just puts a complete WAV file in the project without the parts broken out. His recording quality is decent but not great, and the complete kit baked-in track makes it a bit harder to correct deficiencies, as you can imagine! I took a critical listen though, and I think the drums can definitely be improved, and definitely the lower end kick (cymbal crashes seem kind of harsh too). I'm going to throw on a Sonitus Multi-Band and maybe TDR Nova as well, and see if I can isolate and boost some of that low end without getting muddy. Or maybe Drum Replacer, I've never really utilized that. Thanks again my friend!

Edited by Ross Smithe

Thanks for sharing the song; very nice cover.  Special thanks for the details of your collaborative process.  When CbB started the integration with Bandlab (BLX export/import) I saw great potential for possible collaborations with my own musical building blocks.

So far as I can have seen, this forum has not had much discussion of and insights into collaborative processes (options for making it work, strengths and drawbacks  of various choices, etc.  Thanks also to Wookie for his comments and for your response it inspired regarding the different recording skills and choices made by your collaborators, including some of the methods you are considering working with an all-in-one *.wav file. Please feel free to share the results of your attempts at working magic.  What you find works and doesn't work as hoped might be useful to others.  

For my own personal music-making goals, I am optimistic about what the new software might offer longtime Cakewalk/SONAR users esp. with project-sharing with collaborators and potential collaborators.  Even though this project was mixed and mastered with CbB, I assume the experiences you have shared (and might continue to share) will be applicable to collaborative projects with the new software.

• Thanks 1

It is a good international work, I enjoyed it. Let me personally make a contribution by stating that I agree with the criticism of Wookiee; it seems "Crash and Ride" also felt a bit of "Harshness", apart from that, every instrument/vocal in the mix is very balanced and can easily be heard, congratulations and also thanks for sharing!

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, User 905133 said:

Thanks for sharing the song; very nice cover.  Special thanks for the details of your collaborative process.  When CbB started the integration with Bandlab (BLX export/import) I saw great potential for possible collaborations with my own musical building blocks.

So far as I can have seen, this forum has not had much discussion of and insights into collaborative processes (options for making it work, strengths and drawbacks  of various choices, etc.  Thanks also to Wookie for his comments and for your response it inspired regarding the different recording skills and choices made by your collaborators, including some of the methods you are considering working with an all-in-one *.wav file. Please feel free to share the results of your attempts at working magic.  What you find works and doesn't work as hoped might be useful to others.  

For my own personal music-making goals, I am optimistic about what the new software might offer longtime Cakewalk/SONAR users esp. with project-sharing with collaborators and potential collaborators.  Even though this project was mixed and mastered with CbB, I assume the experiences you have shared (and might continue to share) will be applicable to collaborative projects with the new software.

Thanks so much for the listen and thoughtful feedback! Glad if you got something positive out of the shared process. Online collaboration certainly has gotten easier than ever now with platforms like BandLab. Still not an ideal scenario when you're dealing with a lot of recording variables between players, and just using finished WAV files to mix. It obviously would be cleaner to have Cakewalk project files from everyone, but then that adds a whole other layer to the process of finding the "right" players for the project, namely those who are set up and skilled in CW to provide that. Honestly, if that was the criteria with this group, we probably wouldn't be a group, lol! :) Believe me, I share the "Audiophile" tendencies with so many in the group here, and want my productions to be the best they can be. But I guess part of the point is, the process and finished product don't need to be ideal and perfect, and I don't want to let that hold me back from making music, having fun, and moving on to the next one! 

Regarding your CbB/Sonar question, I don't plan to switch over to Sonar via subscription model, and will continue riding CbB as long as my computer will let me! However, certainly the same type process/workflow would apply with new Sonar (or really any DAW for that matter).

20 hours ago, Alper Karamahmutoglu said:

It is a good international work, I enjoyed it. Let me personally make a contribution by stating that I agree with the criticism of Wookiee; it seems "Crash and Ride" also felt a bit of "Harshness", apart from that, every instrument/vocal in the mix is very balanced and can easily be heard, congratulations and also thanks for sharing!

Thanks so much for the listen and feedbasck!

On my computer today, so I jumped over to SC and "liked" and commented.
I will add one tiny, tiny crit:

She is not "walk-ing thru the clouds" she is "walkin' thru the clouds".
Pat Boone infamously, in his white bucks, would "butcher" rock tunes with exactly this kind of enunciation issue.

Little Wing is a blues influenced rock tune, and as such, almost every time a word ending in ing,  is contracted to in'.
Its a subtle thing, but critical to the genre.
Your vocalist is great, however, if I was producing, I would "gently" lead her to approaching it a bit more authentically (for want of a better word).

Again 👍's  (I would add an applause emoji, but for some reason it's not popping up; oh well...)

t

• Thanks 1