Audition an existing note in Piano Roll View?

Fred Kells

Question

8 answers to this question

You should be able to hear the note by left-clicking the note using the Smart Tool. Another handy way of auditioning note/s is to press 'j' on your keyboard to enable scrub auditioning where you can drag the mouse cursor across the notes to hear them all. The 'j' key will toggle scrub audition on and off.

• Like 1

Neither the left-click nor the 'j' scrub produce a sound.  The track is routed to a VST player (Aria) and back to an audio track.  When I Play the notes (spacebar) they play back normally.  But when I left-click a note in Piano Roll, only the midi track shows a response; nothing shows in the audio track.

Just to make it more confusing (for me, at least!), another midi/audio track pair in this project (which use the same VST, different channel) works as expected in Piano Roll!  So it seems to be some sort of routing problem -  both track pairs play back normally, but only one gives an audio response to the left-click in PR.

Any other ideas I can pursue?

Thanks again, guys!

I stumbled upon one more way to listen to a note.

Hold down Ctrl and left click on a note in the prv. It will keep sounding until you release the mouse button.

The negative thing is that you only get a sound when the cursor is a cross (move). It's hard to get it to show the cross when dealing whit short notes.

Best to start with zoomed in notes if you need to do this.

4 hours ago, Fred Kells said:

The track is routed to a VST player (Aria)

Disable 'Zero Controllers When Play Stops' under Preferences > Project > MIDI.  Aria uses CC1 (Modulation) for volume control and CC11 for Expression so zeroing controllers will silence it when the transport is not running. And if these controllers aren't used during recording a live performance, you should insert an initial controller event for each of them at the beginning of the track to ensure they get set consistenty by MIDI Event Chase every time you start playback. 

Edited by David Baay
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, David Baay said:

Aria uses CC1 (Modulation) for volume control and CC11 for Expression so zeroing controllers will silence it when the transport is not running.

Another niggle with this setup (ARIA) is a keyboard with a spring-loaded mod wheel (like the Roland A-XXX Pro series) will zero volume out as soon as you touch the MOD wheel and release it (because of the spring). The player doesn't respond until that wheel is touched, but this is something to keep in mind as it requires either 1) editing parameters or 2) physically controlling the MOD wheel continually once it has been moved. Once touched and released, the keyboard itself can drive volume to zero on its ARIA's default settings.

Edited by mettelus

On 9/26/2024 at 4:21 PM, Fred Kells said:

So glad I mentioned "Aria".

Good on you for doing so. Many issues get posted with no mention of the plugins involved even though plugins are at the root of most unexpected behaviors.

On 9/26/2024 at 8:54 PM, mettelus said:

Another niggle with this setup (ARIA) is a keyboard with a spring-loaded mod wheel (like the Roland A-XXX Pro series) will zero volume out as soon as you touch the MOD wheel and release it (because of the spring).

Good point. Mod wheels aren't usually spring-loaded, but they can become jittery and send spurious messages due to vibration. I've dealt with this in the past by adding a flatline automation envelope to the track to hold it at a fixed level.