Kontakt release notes on updates are good to read before downloading updates

treesha

I was just in my Native Access for something else, and noticed an update for Kontakt Factory Selection 2 , ver 1.2.0, 9/23/24 8.60 GB and from past experience have learned to read the release notes and it says this...

Minimum version required is Kontakt 8

I dont have Kontakt 8 and may or may not be getting it, so I guess this means if I install this update I have no Kontakt 8 to use it in. So I wont be downloading this update. Like when a recent update  for  Analog Dreams had the minimum required version is Kontakt 7.6, so it no longer works in my full Kontakt 6 where it originated from in my purchases. I read I can get and download a version that will work in 6 again, but I have 7 player and it works in there so its ok in this case.

I think I am understanding this correctly, if not let me know ! Treesha

• Like 2
  • Thanks 9
  • Great Idea 2

30 minutes ago, bitflipper said:

Thanks for the heads-up. NI should not be listing anything as "update available" if it's incompatible with your installed Kontakt version. That's just lazy programming.

Is it really lazy or is it done with the malicious intent of punishing users for not having upgraded?

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, bitflipper said:

Thanks for the heads-up. NI should not be listing anything as "update available" if it's incompatible with your installed Kontakt version. That's just lazy programming.

They did the same before with making updates to things that worked in 6 into things that now required 7.  

I think it's deliberate rather than lazy, just like how NA1 has recently mysteriously stopped working.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Magic Russ said:

Is it really lazy or is it done with the malicious intent of punishing users for not having upgraded?

Occam's Razor. Laziness takes far less effort than malfeasance.

Plus how stupid would it be to deliberately overwrite something that currently works - and that the user has paid for - with something you know won't work? Even NI isn't that evil.

• Like 5
  • Meh 1

5 hours ago, Sander Verstraten said:

Is there a Kontakt 8 Player already? 

Looks like Kontakt 8 was announced today.
None of the announcements or 'first look' reviews are over 12 hours old.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Thanks 1

I foolishly did the upgrade before reading the release notes and before I saw this thread. 

Everything I have tried works in version 7.6. The information in the bottom of the window indicates the instruments were created in 7.6. Of course I have bit tried every NKI so its possible there may be some that won't load. 

If you have already installed the update I would not start panicking, but I would advise holding fire if you haven't.

• Thanks 3

Oh boy. This is not looking good. The incompatability issue hit me bad with their previous maschine and play libraries so thats why I had to keep an oler version of everything on a separate DAW. it looks like I will not be upgrading to K8 on my main DAW setup as I dont what stuff to break. it has been working flawlessly. i accept the slow load times of K7. 

On 9/23/2024 at 11:03 PM, treesha said:

I was just in my Native Access for something else, and noticed an update for Kontakt Factory Selection 2 , ver 1.2.0, 9/23/24 8.60 GB and from past experience have learned to read the release notes and it says this...

Minimum version required is Kontakt 8

They've now changed the release notes to "The minimum version required is Kontakt 7.6."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3