Do you recommend the Bandlab Sonar product vs legacy Sonar Professional? 

Joey Kelly

New Sonar: Vector, more features, developed aggressively.  Near identical workflow as with legacy (and Bandlab's Cakewalk).

Legacy (the one Gibson used to own): non-vector. Bugs since 2017 that will not be addressed anytime. You get what you get.

Having said that. As of now.... As soon as you stop paying monthly for Bandlab's Sonar = no more Sonar for you.

If you are OK with subscription model, keep in mind that price and terms might change (or worse) and you will have zero leverage.  Either accept  new terms & pay, or = no more Sonar.

Bandlab's version of Cakewalk is powerful and available free....for now.  There is no official word of any kind how long it will be available for.  It is tethered to Bandlabs servers and asks for re-activation from time to time. If they decide that it's time to discontinue it, they can easily do that, as again, there is no official word of longevity or what will the end game look like.

I hope I answered some of your concerns.

On 9/13/2024 at 8:26 AM, pwalpwal said:

if it's a version that requires the online authentication/activation then that (auth) will stop soon

No evidence for that. They have said authentication will continue, and have no plans to disable it. Given Cakewalk's loyalty to their customer base, this is more trustworthy than most players in the software business. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, pwalpwal said:

they did this with project5 and i was told to just get over it 🤷‍♀️ they're a business, they're not gonna support a product for free

Yes they are a business, but we got 5 years of Cakewalk by Bandlab free.  Additionally, I also think you should get over project5.

Edited by Colin Nicholls
  • Like 3