Compatibility between CbB and Sonar

I'm using both CbB and Sonar at the moment and I can confirm that certainly, forward compatibility, is perfect.

I use CbB for my song composition work with a single stand-a-lone MOTU interface and work entirely in the digital domain.  It's quick and easy when composing.

I move over to Sonar when I have the song arrangement sorted out and enough guide tracks already laid down in CbB.  Then the project gets moved across to Sonar.  My Sonar set up is quite complex with eight MOTU interfaces and simultaneous recording to Sonar and my 24T tape machine.  Mixdown can be done entirely in the digital domain using Sonar,  or hybrid using the much improved Sonar external inserts to bring in analogue effects, or fully analogue using Sonar to control the tape machine and an external analogue mixer.  Which of these I chose depends on the song and the type of sound I'm trying to achieve.

For me the stability of CbB and Sonar, together with the best DAW GUI I have ever used, makes composing, recording and mixdown a real joy!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Great Idea 1

5 hours ago, sjoens said:

Obviously you're not a KISS fan. 😁

But I would like to know how you implement the 8 interfaces when most systems allow only one instance using ASIO... unless you're not using ASIO.

Yes I use ASIO.  The MOTUs are all Ultralite with Firewire which allows multiple devices to be connected.  I use two Firewire interface cards in my PC to spread the load.  They are stable and work reliably.   I was going to upgrade to the newer MOTU AVB networkable interfaces but MOTU had some sort of catastrophic chip supply problem and the model I wanted has become unable.

• Thanks 1