Hope for Perpetual Licenses

Ben Chase

I created the "As soon as you go perpetual, I'm in." topic yesterday and Misha kindly directed me to a post in another thread, in which Ashwin Rao of Bandlab shared a link that could be used to provide feedback/make requests about such things:

https://help.cakewalk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

I was very encouraged by the response I got. Here is the exchange...

Me:

Hi,

I have been a Cakewalk/SONAR/Cakewalk by BandLab user for more than 20 years. I am grateful that BandLab kept it alive and would be more than happy to pay for it again. I'm unwilling, however, to adopt the subscription model and believe there are a lot of users with similar feelings. Please bring back perpetual licenses as an option, so that we can benefit from updates and you can benefit from our business.

Thank you,
Ben

Lois (Cakewalk):

Hi there,

Thank you for your long-term support of Cakewalk/SONAR/Cakewalk by BandLab. We appreciate your feedback and understand your concerns about the subscription model.

Currently, we are still finalizing the pricing model for the new Cakewalk Sonar. We value input from our users and will consider all feedback as we move forward. Please stay tuned for updates, and feel free to reach out if you have any more questions or suggestions.

Best regards,
Lois

If anyone else is interested in there being a perpetual-license option, please use the link above to make your feelings known. Thanks!

Edited by Ben Chase

The thing that puts me off the subscription is that I use a DAW to make a living, every day. And given how erratic what I make a living at is, cash flow problems do happen. So if my main work software is going to lock up and stop me working abruptly because of a missed payment, that's not good. May seem a fringe case, and it is, but these things do happen.

11 minutes ago, John T said:

I don't believe either of those things.

what's your idea then, what do you think is happening at blhq, other than ignoring us? you/we still can't get a perpetual license, even though we've been asking since forever without a clear response (other than "oh, we're considering it" for a long time now) it's the same as they did when they dropped project5 - how long will you give it?

11 minutes ago, pwalpwal said:

what's your idea then, what do you think is happening at blhq, other than ignoring us? 

i filled out the form with request for perpetual licenses and got a nice response which included the words like "we're looking into the options". so there is hope. but meanwhile i'm using Sonar to get work done.

4 minutes ago, John T said:

It might be time to get over the discontinuation of Project five two decades ago.

Unless it's still relevant 🤷‍♂️ Same feedback from the bakers about what's coming

Still, what's your take on all this?

Just now, Glenn Stanton said:

i filled out the form with request for perpetual licenses and got a nice response which included the words like "we're looking into the options". so there is hope. but meanwhile i'm using Sonar to get work done.

Didn't we all

11 hours ago, John T said:

The thing that puts me off the subscription is that I use a DAW to make a living, every day. And given how erratic what I make a living at is, cash flow problems do happen. So if my main work software is going to lock up and stop me working abruptly because of a missed payment, that's not good. May seem a fringe case, and it is, but these things do happen.

I can open a  Sonar project in a Cakewalk version from 2009. I don't think there is a likelihood of it preventing anyone from working.

• Like 3