Why tickets are so expensive but artists aren't getting the money

bitflipper

people aren't getting the option to not pay inflated prices right now, which i think was the point of that vid, but that's because most people can't see (hear) beyond what's played incessantly on the radio/tv/shop - how many people actually spend time searching out new artists? if they don't make an effort and think for themselves they're just open to exploitation 🤷‍♀️

i'm waiting for the hoo-har when oasis cancel shows on this latest money-grab

• Like 1

Just now, paulo said:

Because they'll be put in prison for many years if they don't go to concerts? 

if you want so see a band you like, but that band is just a product, they'll pay the prices 🤷‍♀️

if they liked less known bands then they wouldn't have to pay those prices 🤷‍♀️

"the masses are asses"

In our household, we have a tradition of me taking my daughter to a concert on her birthday. Not this year. This year she got invited to my own gig and I bought her dinner.

Last time we went to a concert was three years ago (Evanescence @ White River Amphitheater) and while the performance was quite good, everything else about the evening was unpleasant. Tickets were $450 for the two of us. Traffic was a nightmare, parking was a mess (two hours to get out of the parking lot, another two to reach the freeway), food and drinks were outrageously expensive.  More trouble than it was worth. 

What's sad is that Seattle used to be known as a music town. There used to be lots of great medium-sized venues, mostly converted movie theaters so the acoustics were good. We'd see shows like the Strawbs with Gentle Giant for 10 bucks, local bands for 5. There were also similarly-sized bars that were mainly music venues, where we'd go see bands such as Heart, Tower of Power and Badfinger for a buck to get in and another buck for a pitcher of beer. They're all sports bars now, if they still exist.

Now, Ticketmaster will blame inflation for current prices, but that ain't it. Adjusted for inflation, that $1 we spent in 1973 would be $7 today. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, paulo said:

The actual problem is the people who pay inflated prices. Consumers have the collective power and should learn to exercise it. 

Poorly Enlightened Nerds Incite Silliness

Edited by Bapu

You also need to bear in mind that in the 70's, 80's & 90's, a band's primary income was from album sales.

Singles were just another way of promoting the album, as was touring.  As long as the band broke even on the tour, they were happy - they'd even take a loss on the tour if they were confident it would translate to an overall profit in album sales.

Nowadays, most people stream music for a fraction of the cost, with the band getting fractions of a cent for each play.

Now the primary source of income is a percentage of ticket sales and the merch they sell at concerts.

• Sad 1