How To Record Audio From Computer Audio

alan933

Question

Currently I have cakewalk configured with my focusrite USB midi interface for recording audio.

But when i go to settings and devices, i don't see any computer sound devices like Realtek Audio or anything like that which i get on another audio program called Adobe Audition. I can record from computer with that.

How do I do with Cakewalk?

5 answers to this question

You didn't say which Focusrite interface you have. Most of the new ones have Loopback. 

The Loopback will show in preferences under Audio inputs if available. Make sure that is checked and then choose that as the input source for the audio track.  

OBS Studio is a free option to get loopback capability at a system level. It is a bit of a pain to get familiar with at first, but it does expose audio/video feeds to other apps. Or you can capture system audio/video with it and import that into a DAW/video editor for post-processing (that option may be simpler for you, depending on what your needs are).

Quick edit: Also depending on your source, there are apps to simply download media from urls (e.g., YouTube) and bypass the "real-time" recording. Again, that depends on what exactly you want the audio from.

Edited by mettelus