Loading and authorizing Sonar X3 on a newly built PC with Windows 11 64 bit

Hello Knowledegable Sonar users:

I am a longtime Cakewalk and Sonar user.  After many years, I am finally taking the plunge and having a new Windows 11 64 bit audio work station built.  I have hesitated for so long because of dreading having to load all of my audio tools, virtual instruments, etc into a new unit. However, the biggest un known is : Since Cakewalk is defunct, will I be able to load and authorize Sonar X3 ...or will I have to purchase a new platform and  UGH...learn a new system!!!! The horror!  

Does anyone have any insight and/or info on if it is possible to get it up and running?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!!  Thanks.

Sonar X3 was the last version that used a serial number / authorization code licensing scheme. If you have those for your copy of X3, that is all you need. There is no requirement to do anything on line. (Although you may have received your authorization code via email all those years ago.)

11 hours ago, Howard Kleinfeld said:

Hello Knowledegable Sonar users:

I am a longtime Cakewalk and Sonar user.  After many years, I am finally taking the plunge and having a new Windows 11 64 bit audio work station built.  I have hesitated for so long because of dreading having to load all of my audio tools, virtual instruments, etc into a new unit. However, the biggest un known is : Since Cakewalk is defunct, will I be able to load and authorize Sonar X3 ...or will I have to purchase a new platform and  UGH...learn a new system!!!! The horror!  

Does anyone have any insight and/or info on if it is possible to get it up and running?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!!  Thanks.

The serial number and registration code will work on a new system. Bear in mind X3 predates Windows 11, so its not supported there.

On 8/31/2024 at 7:12 AM, Howard Kleinfeld said:

. However, the biggest un known is : Since Cakewalk is defunct, will I be able to load and authorize Sonar X3 ...or will I have to purchase a new platform and  UGH...learn a new system!!!! The horror!  

Where did you read that Cakewalk was defunct?  There's no plans to stop the free version of Cakewalk being available and we now have a fully supported version of Sonar again. 

The solution is simple. Forget X3 it's very old and full of bugs it's not worth your time. Just install Cakewalk by Bandlabd ( free) and carry on. 

Yes it's always a bit of work to re build a new DAW. But this is part of life if you fall to far behind. I just upgraded a W10 machine to W11 and I didn't loose any of my stuff.  And if you back/clone up your C drive you can keep your main hard drives fresh too. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bass Guitar said:

Where did you read that Cakewalk was defunct?  There's no plans to stop the free version of Cakewalk being available and we now have a fully supported version of Sonar again. 

they said cwbbl wouldn't be updated, and no new version of that freebie would be released... having said that they may well change their mind 🤷‍♀️ so don't bet your studio on it

1 minute ago, pwalpwal said:

they said cwbbl wouldn't be updated, and no new version of that freebie would be released... having said that they may well change their mind 🤷‍♀️ so don't bet your studio on it

Well they most certainly won't be updating X3!  :) 

9 minutes ago, pwalpwal said:

Point taken-But I was one of the most vocal pissed of people about no perpetual Sonar License. Very vocal. I have to have faith that CW. will honor it's CWBL statements. You know one of those, since the early 90's CW guys, like many here.
Honestly, the only way I see that is changing is if they ever, actually, realize that the smart business move without question to sell us a Sonar license.

Reason: Most of us would just go to another daw and CW would lose a lot of customers that would certainly have bought the perpetual license. The subscription model is a joke and sooner or later they will realize they made a mistake.

14 hours ago, pwalpwal said:

That's only partially true. CbB did receive a maintenance update quite recently. There simply will no longer be any new feature updates.

• Like 2