new USB interface - unsure of what settings I need

Hi everyone! 

A while back I made a post saying I had to get a new audio interface. I just got one - the Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen by Focusrite - 

I can't hear anything in Cakewalk when plugging the interface in. I'm assuming I just don't know what settings to put. 

Here are my current settings: 

Screenshot (120).png

Screenshot (121).png

Screenshot (123).png

Screenshot (124).png

are you not getting sound in? or getting sound out?

step 1 - just using your media player - are you getting output via your IO unit? if not, get that working first.

step 2 - once you have audio out, then plug in your mic or instrument into the IO unit and check to see that the audio is coming into the IO unit and is heard on your monitoring.

getting it working with CW:

if the IO unit can use the WASAPI, that should be ok to get things working, but if it only works using ASIO, then you need to set the drive mode setting to ASIO. then select the Solo unit input/outputs.

the next step is to set your audio track to the Solo input and turn on echo and arm the recording. at that point with some gain and volume control adjustments, whatever your audio source is, you should be able to hear it. this may require setting your monitoring level as well so you can hear it looping back.

at that point you should be able to record and play back.

^^^ Good advice.

First step when diagnosing audio problems is to make sure Windows can work with the interface. Gotta make Windows happy first, since Sonar only knows what Windows tells it about the interface. My standard sanity check is Windows Media Player. If that works, then address Sonar settings. If it doesn't, go into system settings -> Audio and see if maybe the motherboard's integrated audio is being used, and disable it if necessary.

Start with the Sonar settings in the first page of the Devices section under Audio in the Preferences dialog. Make sure all of your inputs and outputs are listed there, that none of them are disabled (grayed out), and that every input and output is checked. If more than one device is listed, e.g. anything other than your new interface, or if your interface's inputs and outputs are disabled, then you may have another device activated that needs to be disabled before proceeding.

If all this looks good, check the Output destination of your master bus. Make sure it points to the new interface and isn't set to "None" (which Sonar does automatically if the previous destination is not valid).

If there is still no audio, try plugging in headphones to the interface's headphone jack. If you get audio there but not in your main speakers, there may be a routing issue with the driver itself. To fix that, you'll want to bring up the Focusrite control panel (Mix Control). That utility can be daunting, but there should be a preset named "DAW" that'll get you going. Also, and sorry to state the obvious, make sure your speakers are plugged into the correct jacks on the interface. (I don't know how many outputs yours has, but my Focusrite has 8 outputs and it's easy to choose the wrong pair)

One last thing that you can try is switching to a different driver. If you're using WASAPI, switch to ASIO. Or vice versa. If you get sound with WASAPI but not ASIO, then some other device is claiming ownership of the ASIO driver. If so, you can just stick with WASAPI and all will be well.

Welcome back. I think you'll like the Solo. I have used Focusrite interfaces for about 20 years and they've (almost) always worked flawlessly. High quality, good electronics and drivers, plus, they're not too expensive.

There should have been some sort of Getting Started guide included if you bought it new. I currently have the Scarlett 4i4 3G and it was printed on the inside of the box cover. It was pretty simple; Connect the Scarlett and follow the directions.

Those directions should have taken you to the Focusrite web site where you need to download and install the latest software, including drivers (it appears that you haven't done that, yet). Once you have that completed, then you should be able to select their ASIO driver and get ready to rock!

19 hours ago, Glenn Stanton said:

are you not getting sound in? or getting sound out?

step 1 - just using your media player - are you getting output via your IO unit? if not, get that working first.

step 2 - once you have audio out, then plug in your mic or instrument into the IO unit and check to see that the audio is coming into the IO unit and is heard on your monitoring.

getting it working with CW:

if the IO unit can use the WASAPI, that should be ok to get things working, but if it only works using ASIO, then you need to set the drive mode setting to ASIO. then select the Solo unit input/outputs.

the next step is to set your audio track to the Solo input and turn on echo and arm the recording. at that point with some gain and volume control adjustments, whatever your audio source is, you should be able to hear it. this may require setting your monitoring level as well so you can hear it looping back.

at that point you should be able to record and play back.

On the media player, I can hear sound but it's very quiet. 

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, bitflipper said:

^^^ Good advice.

First step when diagnosing audio problems is to make sure Windows can work with the interface. Gotta make Windows happy first, since Sonar only knows what Windows tells it about the interface. My standard sanity check is Windows Media Player. If that works, then address Sonar settings. If it doesn't, go into system settings -> Audio and see if maybe the motherboard's integrated audio is being used, and disable it if necessary.

Start with the Sonar settings in the first page of the Devices section under Audio in the Preferences dialog. Make sure all of your inputs and outputs are listed there, that none of them are disabled (grayed out), and that every input and output is checked. If more than one device is listed, e.g. anything other than your new interface, or if your interface's inputs and outputs are disabled, then you may have another device activated that needs to be disabled before proceeding.

If all this looks good, check the Output destination of your master bus. Make sure it points to the new interface and isn't set to "None" (which Sonar does automatically if the previous destination is not valid).

If there is still no audio, try plugging in headphones to the interface's headphone jack. If you get audio there but not in your main speakers, there may be a routing issue with the driver itself. To fix that, you'll want to bring up the Focusrite control panel (Mix Control). That utility can be daunting, but there should be a preset named "DAW" that'll get you going. Also, and sorry to state the obvious, make sure your speakers are plugged into the correct jacks on the interface. (I don't know how many outputs yours has, but my Focusrite has 8 outputs and it's easy to choose the wrong pair)

One last thing that you can try is switching to a different driver. If you're using WASAPI, switch to ASIO. Or vice versa. If you get sound with WASAPI but not ASIO, then some other device is claiming ownership of the ASIO driver. If so, you can just stick with WASAPI and all will be well.

So I am getting sound in from other places. In Windows Media Player I can hear sound, it's just very low. It seems that Windows is reading the interface, and nothing is grayed out in my settings. 

I did the windows audio test, I had both input and output noise but it's just low. Windows read it as anywhere between 1% and 20% of volume. 

On Cakewalk, when I record with my microphone, I think that's where it's not picking anything up, although when I spoke into the mic on the windows test, it resulted in 15% volume. 

I also don't see anywhere that it says DAW on the control panel

Edited by Jenna

1 hour ago, Jenna said:

So I am getting sound in from other places. In Windows Media Player I can hear sound, it's just very low. It seems that Windows is reading the interface, and nothing is grayed out in my settings. 

Something to check real quick... Windows may be doing this to you. In Windows Search Bar, type in "Sound Settings" and at the bottom of that window there is an "Advanced Sound Options" at the bottom, click on the bar right below that. For sanity sake, check the volumes in the next popup (App volume and device preferences). and make sure your device is at 100%. Windows will let other apps adjust those (at a system level), so when things go wonky, that is something to check.

3 hours ago, Jenna said:

I did the windows audio test, I had both input and output noise but it's just low. Windows read it as anywhere between 1% and 20% of volume. 

On Cakewalk, when I record with my microphone, I think that's where it's not picking anything up, although when I spoke into the mic on the windows test, it resulted in 15% volume. 

I also don't see anywhere that it says DAW on the control panel

So, did you ever get the latest updates and drivers from the Focusrite web site?

On 8/31/2024 at 4:37 PM, 57Gregy said:

So, did you ever get the latest updates and drivers from the Focusrite web site?

Yes, and perhaps that is what it was, because now I can hear audio loud and clear. Thank you!!

• Like 1