My ASIO driver won't allow me to use Cakewalk with other software (RX standalone, Kontak standalone, other DAW)

Wojtek Stecyszyn

Question

Hello everyone.

Maybe this is not strict CbB related but I need your priceless input on this.

Question for ASIO driver users: 

Can you guys run Cakewalk and other program (second DAW, or any other standalone application like RX, Amplitube, Kontakt) at the same time?

My case:

One ASIO driver provided from TASCAM for my old Tascam audio interface allows me to run two or three programs simultaneously (Cakewalk, Reaper, RX standalone). Now I got brand new, shiny UR44c interface from Steinberg and its Yamaha USB driver (ASIO) does not allow me to use this interface with more than one program.

EXAMPLE: I have project opened in CbB and need to go with one audio clip out of CbB to RX standalone, edit it there (with no need to close CbB and leave it running in the background) save edits export from RX and load back to CbB. I use to be able to do that on my old ASIO driver but not on the Yamaha Steinberg ASIO.

Can you perform similar operation?

Is one ASIO so different from another?

And most important - is there a solution for my situation?

The workaround that I have found is that I run my main Cakewalk in ASIO mode and Reaper I have to switch to WASAPI Shared and RX to MME mode. But this is not a perfect solution as ASIO is the best option.

Another question: how bad is to run RX in MME and Reaper in WASAPI instead of ASIO? Can I live with this situation?

Thanks in advance

Edited by Wojtek Stecyszyn

Depends on the driver.

I can run many ASIO enabled applications at the same time with the rig configured as per signature.

Therefore, the solution might be to change your audio interface.

Regarding your “Another question” Avoid MME if you can.

Thank you for your answer @Promidi 

24 minutes ago, Promidi said:

Therefore, the solution might be to change your audio interface.

Well... THIS IS  my new audio interface. Steimberg UR44c   I just got it yesterday brand new and it is a hige upgrade that I needed for long time. And now Im facing this ASIO issue. Makes me wonder should I try to live with it and work on different drivers: ASIO, WASAPI and MME included ...or return the interface  :(

24 minutes ago, Promidi said:

Regarding your “Another question” Avoid MME if you can.

Why is that? Everything seems OK when I use it with RX standalone.

2 hours ago, Wojtek Stecyszyn said:

Hello everyone.

Maybe this is not strict CbB related but I need your priceless input on this.

Question for ASIO driver users: 

Can you guys run Cakewalk and other program (second DAW, or any other standalone application like RX, Amplitube, Kontakt) at the same time?

My case:

One ASIO driver provided from TASCAM for my old Tascam audio interface allows me to run two or three programs simultaneously (Cakewalk, Reaper, RX standalone). Now I got brand new, shiny UR44c interface from Steinberg and its Yamaha USB driver in ASIO mode does not allow me to use this interface with more than one program

EXAMPLE: I have project opened in CbB and need to go with one audio clip out ofCbB to RX standalone edit it there (with no need to close CbB and leave it running in the background) save edits export from RX and load back to CbB. I use to be able to do that on my old ASIO driver but not on the Yamaha Steinberg ASIO.

Can you perform similar operation?

Is one ASIO so different from another?

How are your ASIO's?

And most important - is there a solution for my situation?

The workaround that I have found is that I run my main Cakewalk in ASIO mode and Reaper I have to switch to WASAPI Shared and RX to MME mode. But this is not a perfect solution as ASIO is the best option.

Another question: how bad is to run RX in MME and Reaper in WASAPI instead of ASIO? Can I live with this situation?

Thanks in advance

What you are talking about is multi-client vs. single-client ASIO drivers. Most ASIO drivers are single-client, meaning that the driver can't be used by more than one app at a time. Since you've just purchased a new interface, suggesting that you replace it with one that comes with a multi-client ASIO driver likely won't be helpful. Some of the best multi-client drivers, from RME for example, come with pretty expensive interfaces. For example, the RME Babyface Pro costs just over 800 € from Thomann. The RME interface I'd like to have is the Fireface UCX II costs over 1 350 € at Thomann. Serious money.

When I want to record my bass while playing along with a YouTube video, I switch Windows from my audio interface (which ties up the ASIO driver) to my cheesy laptop speakers using the internal Realtek audio and let Bitwig, Studio One, Reaper or Gig Performer use the ASIO driver. No perfect, but it works for me.

One semi-related problem is if I run a standalone app that changes the settings of my ASIO driver from 48K at a 128 sample rate to 44.1K. I have Windows configured for 48K at 128, and it "loses" the ASIO driver. I then need to open the PreSonus Universal Control app and reset the interface to 48K at 128. I'm then able to route Windows audio to my Focal studio monitors via my Studio 1810c interface.

One of these days, I'll buy an RME Fireface, but not today.

Edited by John Maar
  • Thanks 1

Until yesterday I could run several ASIO dependent programs at the same time using a UR44C.

I still can as long as I'm not running CbB.

CbB is crashing on open.

Steinberg has done something with their driver or CbB has not been updated for a new standard.

Maybe both.

The Driver appears to puke on some VST2 configurations.

I'm using the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver V2.1.7.

Apparently they are replacing the Generic low Latency Driver with

the Steinberg built in Driver.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, dragos said:

Until yesterday I could run several ASIO dependent programs at the same time using a UR44C.

What happened? What changed so you can't do it anymore? 

Were you using different driver until yesterday?

Edited by Wojtek Stecyszyn

I installed Dorico 5 be cause Finale is going away.

I think it installed the Built in driver as the default and it is not friendly.

The solution may be to uninstall both the Generic ASIO Driver and Built in Driver and only use the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver,

That's what I going to try.

• Like 1

Yes, that is the solution.

Get rid of the Built in Driver and set everything to use the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver

(I still have the Generic High Speed Drive installed.)

For the UR44C. Read the manual. Install the software.

https://o.steinberg.net/en/support/downloads_hardware/downloads_ur44.html

The basic FX suite  has a mixer kind-of-like the voice meeter banna but not as useful. ( pay the License, it's worth it)

It does have DSP effects and allows you to easily update firmware.

Make sure to plug it into a USB 3.0 or higher port. The Driver control panel can check if the device is at "SuperSpeed."

Driver.PNG

Edited by dragos
  • Like 1

I lied in my first post in this thread about "some day" buying an RME Fireface UCX II. I bought the Pro version of the new Sampleson CollaB3 V2 free B3 modelled organ (only $10!) this morning. And, of course, the standalone version couldn't open my PreSonus ASIO driver because Windows was using it. So, I ordered a Fireface UCX II from Thomann. It takes 3-4 days to get to me in France from Germany, so I should have it Monday or Tuesday. I'll sell my like-new PreSonus Studio 1810c to cover a bit of the cost.

This will be my first multi-client ASIO driver. I'm really looking forward to it.

Edited by John Maar
  • Great Idea 1

I was able to run CbB, Massive, EarMaster 7 at the same time. All with sound.

Also, CbB and Guitar Pro 8 at same time.

Reaper and CbB don't seem to be able to simultaneously use Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver.

Dorico and CbB the same.

Later I will check if using voice meeter banana asios all mixed into YSUSBD works.

On further inspection it looks like CbB took all the YSUSBD.

The other apps just slip into WASAPI mode but they send to the UR44C.

The VMB does run CbB and other DAW thru YSUSBD.

Can also use two DAWS using YSUSBD and Generic High Speed ASIO Driver.

Lastly, CbB uses YSUSBD and Melodyne uses the Generic High Speed ASIO Driver.

Edited by dragos
More information
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Wojtek Stecyszyn said:

In addition to "exclusive" modes that may exist within a DAW itself, there is also one within Windows specifically, so it is likely that Windows resorted to its defaults when it saw the new device.

In Windows Sound Settings->Sound Control Panel->Select the device and then "Properties" (on the first "Playback" tab at the top). On the Advanced tab at the top of that next popup, be sure the "Exclusive Mode" settings are unchecked. You may also need to repeat this for the "Recording" tab in the Sound Control panel, as they are separate to Windows.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, dragos said:

Can also use two DAWS using YSUSBD and Generic High Speed ASIO Driver.

Lastly, CbB uses YSUSBD and Melodyne uses the Generic High Speed ASIO Driver.

Thanks for your report @dragos

Could you pease write what exactly "Generic High Speed ASIO Driver" is? 

Is it my Windows Realtek driver?

8 hours ago, mettelus said:

In addition to "exclusive" modes that may exist within a DAW itself, there is also one within Windows specifically, so it is likely that Windows resorted to its defaults when it saw the new device.

In Windows Sound Settings->Sound Control Panel->Select the device and then "Properties" (on the first "Playback" tab at the top). On the Advanced tab at the top of that next popup, be sure the "Exclusive Mode" settings are unchecked. You may also need to repeat this for the "Recording" tab in the Sound Control panel, as they are separate to Windows.

Yes, that is first thing that I did. And I'm visiting this place regularly to check if nothing changed and this box is unchecked  :)

On 8/29/2024 at 11:59 AM, Promidi said:

MME (a 1991 standard) would only be used if no other option is available. 

Well its not only option but seems the best (if I want to maintain my workflow when I work in Cakewalk  and need to quickly jump with one clip to RX an black to CbB). As far as I know the only downside of using RX in MME mode is poor latency provided by MME, but It does not affect me as I don't record in RX and perform only post production editing.

"Generic High Speed ASIO Driver" is another Steinberg ASIO Driver, an earlier version of the Built-In Driver.

I cannot find an install file for it, and I save all install files. It may be (or may have been) part of the install package for the UR44C.

I contacted Steinberg for a Download link for the driver.

• Thanks 1

If you need a high number of I/O's, a cheaper alternative to the UFX / UCX is the RME DigiFace USB,  which goes for around £375 (as opposed to £2,250 for the UFX) and uses exactly the same drivers as the UFX / UCX.

It has 4 x ADAT in, 4 x ADAT out and a 1/4" stereo out,  so you'll need at least one ADAT converter to get audio into it (e.g. Behringer ADA8200).

I'm using 3 x Fostex VC8's, and my old Focusrite 18i20 for my inputs/outputs.  This gives me the maximum of 32 inputs and 34 outputs.

The advantage of this system, is that you add / upgrade your ADAT converters as and when necessary.

What you don't get is the hardware EQ/FX, but having had that before in my Yamaha DS2416 and having to give it up when moved to Windows 64 bit, I find the in-built DSP more of a curse than a blessing once you start relying on it!

Also, with regard to multi-client ASIO drivers... be careful here, because it can mean one or both of the following:

1. One ASIO driver can control more than one physical hardware interface.
2. The same ASIO driver can be opened by more than one application at the same time.

So double check it can do what you think it can before buying.

On 8/29/2024 at 1:55 PM, mettelus said:

This! 

I can use all and any of my audio apps  at the same time. I might have 2 Daw's running as well as Media Player or a You Tube. As long as I stick with everything using 48000Hz and uncheck the exclusive box I've never had a problem.

This is my laptop using on board audio but the same results work on my other machines with all my ASIO audio interfaces. Including a Yamaha mixer that has a 2x2 USB  Steinberg driver. Don't choose exclusive mode in your Daw or Windows settings. 

Screenshot(231).png.c011f26fc031f4ab27b9279d6b579ff1.png

2 hours ago, Bass Guitar said:

I can use all and any of my audio apps  at the same time. I might have 2 Daw's running as well as Media Player or a You Tube. As long as I stick with everything using 48000Hz and uncheck the exclusive box I've never had a problem.

This is my laptop using on board audio but the same results work on my other machines with all my ASIO audio interfaces. Including a Yamaha mixer that has a 2x2 USB  Steinberg driver. Don't choose exclusive mode in your Daw or Windows settings.

Im glad that it works for you.

Can you please write which exactly Yamaha Steinberg driver do you use? Name and version?

Do you know the type of your drivers - are any of them/all of them multi-client maybe?

Also what 2 DAWS in particular are you writing about.

Please write also what is this screen shot representing? It looks like your windows speakers settings to me. If it is - then it does not relate to the topic of this thread. But If it is screenshot of one of your interface outputs (named "playback" in windows sounds settings) then It may be interesting indeed.

Cheers