Make Scroll Lock stop scrolling in Event List

All views should share same commands when appropriate.  Differing commands/missing commands between views isn't cohesive and can be aggravating.

Edited by sjoens
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, sjoens said:

All views should share same commands when appropriate.  Differing commands/missing commands between views isn't cohesive and can be aggravating.

To me the beauty of having different views is that you can do different things with them and some views have methods that are better for some workflows  than other views.  Sorry, I appreciate diversity and would not want all views to have the same features, functions, methods, etc.  Making all views function the same way and/or in the same manner where there is some overlap runs the risk of getting rid of some uniqueness that fits workflows that some people prefer. 

13 minutes ago, sjoens said:

Just saying, things like Ctrl+Z should always be undo no matter what view you're working in.

Unless I am mistaken there are unique things that belong to different views (and modes within those views) that can't use Ctrl+Z to undo what has just been done. 

On 8/23/2024 at 2:39 PM, User905133 said:

Making all views function the same way and/or in the same manner where there is some overlap runs the risk of getting rid of some uniqueness that fits workflows that some people prefer.

I'm not sure which uniqueness you're referring to. Mostly, there are conveniences that I like in some views that I'd like to have in other views, like scroll lock and fit horizontal. Fit data horizontally in Piano Roll would be handy, I think.

There are certain keystrokes and operations that should work the same way. There's no reason for the basics of cut, copy, select, paste, undo, zoom etc. not to be the same keystroke(s) in every view. Equivalent menus should be in the same place, same order, where applicable.

This last has long been a bugaboo of mine with Cakewalk/Sonar, especially the differences between Track View and Console View. Those two sets of menus look like they come from different programs. One has the "Track" menu, the other has the "Tracks" menu, Track Manager is even under different menus. Then there's the main menu, which is up above the TV menu but holds a number of operations that should really be down on the TV menu (like adding tracks, basically everything in the Insert menu and half of what's in the Project menu belong down in the Track View's own menu).

I'm known as the Konsistency Kop due to this in certain circles. There's usually no drawback to checking for consistency, and once something is in place, it's harder to change it without discomforting experienced users.

I guess it's just me, but after 6 years, I still get things mixed up as to which menus are where between TV and CV. You can add a new track from CV's "Track" menu, but not from TV's "Tracks" menu.

When things are (needlessly, IMO) mixed up like that, it makes it harder to memorize them. And IMO, it contributes to a feeling of roughness around the edges.

On 8/23/2024 at 11:13 AM, Starship Krupa said:

Y'know how in most Sonar views, activating Scroll Lock stops the view from scrolling?

It would be reaaaaaaaallly handy if that could also apply to the Event List.

I just tried it here.  Scroll Lock does indeed stop the view from scrolling in the Event list view.

• Confused 1

Of greater concern to me is the fact that my laptop keyboard has no Scroll Lock key.  There's extra keys that can be assigned to it, but I normally use a USB keyboard with the laptop.  It has an F-key combo for scroll lock but neither one seem to work in TV or PRV. 

edited for accuracy

Edited by sjoens

7 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

I'm not sure which uniqueness you're referring to. Mostly, there are conveniences that I like in some views that I'd like to have in other views, like scroll lock and fit horizontal. Fit data horizontally in Piano Roll would be handy, I think.

There are certain keystrokes and operations that should work the same way. There's no reason for the basics of cut, copy, select, paste, undo, zoom etc. not to be the same keystroke(s) in every view. Equivalent menus should be in the same place, same order, where applicable.

This last has long been a bugaboo of mine with Cakewalk/Sonar, especially the differences between Track View and Console View. Those two sets of menus look like they come from different programs. One has the "Track" menu, the other has the "Tracks" menu, Track Manager is even under different menus. Then there's the main menu, which is up above the TV menu but holds a number of operations that should really be down on the TV menu (like adding tracks, basically everything in the Insert menu and half of what's in the Project menu belong down in the Track View's own menu).

I'm known as the Konsistency Kop due to this in certain circles. There's usually no drawback to checking for consistency, and once something is in place, it's harder to change it without discomforting experienced users.

I guess it's just me, but after 6 years, I still get things mixed up as to which menus are where between TV and CV. You can add a new track from CV's "Track" menu, but not from TV's "Tracks" menu.

When things are (needlessly, IMO) mixed up like that, it makes it harder to memorize them. And IMO, it contributes to a feeling of roughness around the edges.

I was responding to this:

On 8/23/2024 at 1:47 AM, sjoens said:

Not this:

On 8/22/2024 at 9:43 PM, Starship Krupa said:

Y'know how in most Sonar views, activating Scroll Lock stops the view from scrolling?

It would be reaaaaaaaallly handy if that could also apply to the Event List.

For decades I have been opposed to symmetry, parallelism, etc. just for the sake of symmetry, parallelism, etc.  Some people want / need things to look alike, sound alike, be alike, behave alike, etc. for the benefit of their personal workflows.  

As for the Event List needing Scroll Lock functionality, when I need to edit something, I stop / pause the playback.  I can respect that others might have a use for stopping the the movement while the music continues.

4 hours ago, Promidi said:

I just tried it here.  Scroll Lock does indeed stop the view from scrolling in the Event list view.

I never tried this until just now.  For me the song continued to play and the Event List continued to scroll.  Do I need to change any settings to get the SCRL LOCK key to pause just the event view display?

• Like 1

On 8/23/2024 at 5:45 PM, sjoens said:

Just saying, things like Ctrl+Z should always be undo no matter what view you're working in.

On 8/23/2024 at 6:01 PM, User905133 said:

Unless I am mistaken there are unique things that belong to different views (and modes within those views) that can't use Ctrl+Z to undo what has just been done. 

I will carve out some time this week to explore when I use Ctrl+Z.  IIRC I have run across differences when undo does and doesn't work when different windows had focus. Also IIRC some tasks are not undoable within a window when other tasks are undoable.  I will try to find some examples.

Edited by User905133
corrections

4 hours ago, User905133 said:

I never tried this until just now.  For me the song continued to play and the Event List continued to scroll.  Do I need to change any settings to get the SCRL LOCK key to pause just the event view display?

"pause just the event view display" - slightly different to what the OP was asking.  The OP said "It would be ...... handy if that could also apply to the Event List."

Are you wanting the scroll lock to effect the ELV only while everything else scrolls?

And no....  I did not have to change any setting.  Scroll Lock affected all screens - even ELV.

Normally the Event List doesn't scroll until the position indicator box reaches the halfway point in the screen and there's hidden notes below the bottom.  Here the position box remains stationary while the notes scroll.  When the final notes appear at the bottom of the screen the notes stop scrolling and the box starts moving again.  It's only during the time the list scrolls that scroll lock stops it.