Beware Landr/Synchroarts (NOT a deal)

CSistine

Today I got an email saying that my Synchroarts product activation has to be changed for future use (former iLok to online)! Is this legal?

I bought the product because it was iLok authorization! Regrettably, of late I bought an upgrade in the prospect that my iLok license gets upgraded! Then I found out that new versions are no more iLok. Asking the support how I can change the upgrade to iLok authorization I simply got no answer! What a sh.. company! I will never more make business with them and I recommend anyone to stay away from such companies!

In general I've noticed several activation changes with different brands in the last few years. The major problem is that the companies don't give transparent information what is valid! What kind of authorization, how many seats, is offline available, if there are different auths - which products does it apply to! On the internet you find a lot of old information and if the plugin producer does not have open information, where should you get it?

Many vendors protect their products with such methods from pirates, they say, but they themselves pirate the consumers IMHO! Shouldn't it be vice versa?

• Sad 2

41 minutes ago, The Dispossessed Orangutan said:

Are you saying that SyncroArts has finally realized how expensive the Pace and iLok extortion fees are?

Or are you saying that iLok hardware dongles will no longer work, but iLok Software will still be required?

This may finally be my go-ahead to buy some SyncroArts software.

image.thumb.png.e7aab804f40b8ed6b233bbbd4cf38dca.png

• Thanks 1

If companies are using their own auth servers, the minimum should be to have a feature where you can manage the licence online (deactivate/etc).

But yeah, I'd consider changing DRM a shady move and worth raised eyebrows unless it actually and truly benefits the consumer (ie. making it easier by removing online activation etc). It should  not reduce the user's options and chances to use the software.

And by default, if a company is stopping support for a software they should do all in their power so that those who have bought it can continue to use and will be able to do so in the future with the current or similar configuration (within reason).

Edited by Kirean
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, CSistine said:

Today I got an email saying that my Synchroarts product activation has to be changed for future use (former iLok to online)! Is this legal?

I bought the product because it was iLok authorization! Regrettably, of late I bought an upgrade in the prospect that my iLok license gets upgraded! Then I found out that new versions are no more iLok. Asking the support how I can change the upgrade to iLok authorization I simply got no answer! What a sh.. company! I will never more make business with them and I recommend anyone to stay away from such companies!

In general I've noticed several activation changes with different brands in the last few years. The major problem is that the companies don't give transparent information what is valid! What kind of authorization, how many seats, is offline available, if there are different auths - which products does it apply to! On the internet you find a lot of old information and if the plugin producer does not have open information, where should you get it?

Many vendors protect their products with such methods from pirates, they say, but they themselves pirate the consumers IMHO! Shouldn't it be vice versa?

I didn't get such an email.

Their online manual says they made a change back in April 2024...
https://www.synchroarts.com/manuals/VocAlignProjectV5/Manual/HTML/installation-and-authorization.html

License Overview 

• You can obtain trial Licenses for any Synchro Arts product from www.SynchroArts.com or purchase perpetual (non-expiring) from Synchro Arts directly or its resellers.
  • Trial licenses will run the software fully-functional for the number of days stated in the information provided with the licence.
  • Each license includes 2 activations
  • All licenses will authorise both macOS and Windows versions

Please note: Previously the PACE iLok system was used to license Synchro Arts products but iLok was replaced with a new and easier system in April 2024.

If you already own Synchro Arts products that were activated before April 2024 with iLok and would like to download the latest builds, please create an account and login to the Synchro Arts website and connect your iLok account. This will add your products to your Synchro Arts website account and then you can follow the activation steps below.

But my SynchroArt plugins which upgraded in May still use iLok and are working.
I have not installed the latest updates, maybe they work differently.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Kirean said:

It should  not reduce the user's options and chances to use the software.

This is exactly the point!

I have a couple of plugins nowadays that I cannot use anymore, because of auth changes (i.e. they cannot be used offline anymore)! Sure, I could for each provider dismount my pc in the recording room and carry it to the house, do the authorization(s) and then reinstall the pc in my recording room! What a hassle!

Also all these "inhouse" authorizations are a real pain, if you exchange a system, because first you have to find out:

• Is it necessary to unauthorize the old system, can it be done, how?
  • How many authorization seats are available (very difficult to find out for most providers)
  • Does the new authorization require iterative activation, what is the period?
  • Is offline authorization supported (also for new versions)? How does it work?
  • Is permanent internet access required?
  • How are upgrades handled?
  • What hardware changes impact the authorizations?

And the worst is that if you ask for something like this, several providers give you only a cheeky answer or no answer at all! (SynchroArts, Slate,  Nugen, Antares, ...)