"The Wild Animals", test mix, please listen!

bats brew

https://batsbrew.bandcamp.com/track/animals-test

so, this is a test-mix i'm trying to dial in to set the tone for an entire album i'm remixing now.
the last test mix i posted didn't work out! LOL, soundcloud.....

i've done new tracks, new arrangements, and new mixes / masters.

i'm looking for any translation issues between playback systems.
i've done ear buds, open and closed back headphones, JBL 503's, and Infinity Research Standard tower speakers.
haven't done car, truck or any tiny playbacks.

my feeling is that the vocal track overall is a bit too loud.
still not sure about bass level either, some have said too  loud, some have said not loud enough.
the mix should be guitar dominant, like a wall of guitars left and right, but on certain playback systems, they seem a bit weak.
anyway, suggestions are welcome.
going for around -10 lufs on this one, maybe closer to 9.8.

• Like 3

Cool , Headphone/laptop listen sounds good. On the fence about the vox volume. Some sections sound a little hot. Maybe just the high harmony ??  .  I thought the bass sat pretty well.  

Out of curiostity , have to tried a test mix on Sound Click?  I for one would like to hear your opinion.  Only you know exactly what your material sounded like "before" the upload. 

I think it sounds better than SoundCloud. I know the streaming rate is higher.         mark

• Like 1

I used a set of AKG Headphones to listen BTW Love the middle 8🤘the bass sounds good when it's tight with the kick, but when it starts to move it could sound rounder. But I think the guitars sound really good.

Edited by Old Joad

11 hours ago, mark skinner said:

Cool , Headphone/laptop listen sounds good. On the fence about the vox volume. Some sections sound a little hot. Maybe just the high harmony ??  .  I thought the bass sat pretty well.  

Out of curiostity , have to tried a test mix on Sound Click?  I for one would like to hear your opinion.  Only you know exactly what your material sounded like "before" the upload. 

I think it sounds better than SoundCloud. I know the streaming rate is higher.         mark

hey mark!

thanks for helping out...

i'll dial those harmonies in a bit tighter... sometimes i just like the harmony part better than the lead part! but if it sounds funny, i need to smooth it out.

soundclick, i had before soundcloud.

the reason i moved to soundcloud then, was because it sounded better than soundclick.

maybe, enough time has passed, that soundclick improved their streaming? dont' know,

but it's impossible to make any kind of real comparisons or mix/master suggestions from a 128 kbps mp3 stream.

On 8/23/2024 at 10:56 AM, Old Joad said:

I used a set of AKG Headphones to listen BTW Love the middle 8🤘the bass sounds good when it's tight with the kick, but when it starts to move it could sound rounder. But I think the guitars sound really good.

thanks for listening JOAD!

i remixed today, and it's a bit tighter and pushed in the low end, see if that makes that moving part fill in better.

new link is up!

6 hours ago, steve@baselines.com said:

The instrument mix sounds pretty good to me.  The vocal I can hear, but I think it might benefit from some high end.

Steve

thanks steve~ 

i re-eq'd the vox today, that should help with the clarity in the high end,

check the new mix, see what you think!

2 hours ago, bats brew said:

thanks for listening JOAD!

i remixed today, and it's a bit tighter and pushed in the low end, see if that makes that moving part fill in better.

new link is up!

Tasty Bass riffs👍🏼

Damn you write good song🤩

Edited by Old Joad
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Old Joad said:

Tasty Bass riffs👍🏼

Damn you write good song🤩

Thanks man, I spend a good amount of time on arrangements, but try to knock the performances out in one pass, to try to keep it sounding fresh. Thats why there are irregularities!  Lol

Listening on my iPhone, bluetoothed into my hearing aids (not ideal, getting old sucks). However, the kick and bass are there, no small feat! Always a fan, so I’m familiar with the tune. Sounds good here. 👍👏

t

20 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

Listening on my iPhone, bluetoothed into my hearing aids (not ideal, getting old sucks). However, the kick and bass are there, no small feat! Always a fan, so I’m familiar with the tune. Sounds good here. 👍👏

t

hey T! thanks for listening

if the translation is good thru the iphone earbuds/hearing aids, then that's extra cool.

i don't have anything like that to test translation.

and it IS a matter of figuring out how much upper mid, and upper lows, i can bring out for clarity, without mud.

i mean, if you listen to this thru a full range system LOUD, you will hear the subs, but i have it rolled off pretty high, starting around 80hz, but with a shallow Q...

meaning, there still is a good bit of info below 80hz, but the kick at 55hz, and the bass as low as 40hz, is still represented.

when i jack up the subs, with kick and bass, it just sounds muddy to me.

might sound awesome in a club playback!

but not on headphones or buds, which seems to be what most folk are listening to these days.

thanks again!

• Like 1