Master Buses missing; Can I retrieve them?

Roy Slough

Question

I have returned to a project I completed a few weeks ago  and three of the stereo buses are missing B (Guitars) C (Drums) D (Bass) .   Bus E (Vox ) IS still there.
The tracks still show them being routed to the missing buses and I can hear all the instruments, I just can't see these 3 buses.

Any Ideas on how I can get them back, Obviously I could make new buses and route the tracks to them, but if there was any FXs EQs etc. on the missing buses this would be missed.

Thanks

8 answers to this question

From track view, press H to bring up the Track Manager (or track menu > Tracks > , Track Manager) and make sure your buses are visible.

Also make sure your Bus pane is visible.  Press SHIFT+B to Show/hide Bus pane.

3 hours ago, Living Room Rocker said:

Good morning Roy,

Could you post a screen shot of the console view?  It's possible that your busses are hidden or just need to be dragged out from behind the Main output.  Check it out.

Kind regards,

Living Room Rocker

2 hours ago, Promidi said:

From track view, press H to bring up the Track Manager (or track menu > Tracks > , Track Manager) and make sure your buses are visible.

Also make sure your Bus pane is visible.  Press SHIFT+B to Show/hide Bus pane.

Thanks Guys, I have "found" them, they have moved from the bus pane into the track pane (Don't know why the Vox bus didn't move?)
In the attached screenshot you can see them as tracks 19 & 20 (Labelled drum mix and Guitar mix)
Not sure how I move them back????

Also,  when I believe I have finished with a project I move the entire folder containing the .cwp audio files etc. to a USB drive.  Then if I need to work on the track again I move the entire folder back to the cakewalks projects folder. 2 Questions.
1. Could it be this moving out and moving back upset things, but I can't see why, I didn't try and open it from the USB drive.
2. Could I have opened the project while still on the USB drive, bearing in mind when I created and worked on the project everything was in C:\Cakewalk Projects. Or would this really screw with the project (I believe it would hence the moving back and forth)

Screenshot 2024-08-20 173552.png

Hi Roy,

1 hour ago, Roy Slough said:

Thanks Guys, I have "found" them, they have moved from the bus pane into the track pane (Don't know why the Vox bus didn't move?)
In the attached screenshot you can see them as tracks 19 & 20 (Labelled drum mix and Guitar mix)
Not sure how I move them back????

I didn't know you could move busses into the Take Pane.  Not sure how to move them back, maybe drag and drop(?).

1 hour ago, Roy Slough said:

Also,  when I believe I have finished with a project I move the entire folder containing the .cwp audio files etc. to a USB drive.  Then if I need to work on the track again I move the entire folder back to the cakewalks projects folder. 2 Questions.
1. Could it be this moving out and moving back upset things, but I can't see why, I didn't try and open it from the USB drive.
2. Could I have opened the project while still on the USB drive, bearing in mind when I created and worked on the project everything was in C:\Cakewalk Projects. Or would this really screw with the project (I believe it would hence the moving back and forth)

The only problem I could think of here is that when you open the project, you will have to search for the missing audio for the respective tracks since CbB will not know where they are (since you moved them).

Kind regards,

Living Room Rocker

Those aren't Busses, they're AUX Tracks which do reside in the Track Pane.  You make them by clicking the Output of an Audio or Instrument/Synth track or right-clicking the track > Insert Send > New Aux Track.

2 hours ago, Roy Slough said:

1. Not likely
2. Shouldn't matter where the project is when opened as long as the folder contains the Audio folder and all the files are present on the system.  Opening it on a different system can cause missing file syndrome.

Edited by sjoens

14 hours ago, sjoens said:

Those aren't Busses, they're AUX Tracks which do reside in the Track Pane.  You make them by clicking the Output of an Audio or Instrument/Synth track or right-clicking the track > Insert Send > New Aux Track.

2 hours ago, Roy Slough said:

1. Not likely
2. Shouldn't matter where the project is when opened as long as the folder contains the Audio folder and all the files are present on the system.  Opening it on a different system can cause missing file syndrome.

Thanks sjoens,  That's exactly the point, when I was working on the project they were buses,  Now I have re-opened the project they appear as Aux tracks.
Again I don't know why the Vox bus didn't switch over, and the other two did???
Now I have found them I can check any processing on them, re-create the bus, re-route the track outputs to the bus and delete the Aux tracks.
OR just work with them in the track area........
Functionally, Aux tracks will work like the buses except for solo and muting (I think) 

8 hours ago, sjoens said:

You can also record into them, unlike Busses.

I'm not aware of any way to convert Busses to Aux Tracks or vise versa.

Yes it is strange, but it did happen and not on purpose by me.  Lets see if it happens again or anyone else reports it occuring.