[Solved] Need Help - snap to grid intensity & duplicate blocks

only been using Bandlab for a couple of months but loving it

couple of things ive not been able to figure out, im using the desktop version of Bandlab (not the online one)

snap to grid intensity - Ive set it to extreme but still when I move a block it doesn't snap to the grind & I have to zoom in & move it onto the grid, whats the best settings so when I move a block it lands on grid every time (no more zooming in).

second question: when arranging I figured out Ctrl + D will duplicate a block to the right, but is there a way to duplicate a block to the left? (so it comes in earlier in the track)

hopefully somebody can help as both are niggling me.

Brady

Edited by scott brady

When you say “using Bandlab” I am going to assume you mean “Cakewalk by Bandlab“

And by “blocks” I am going to assume you mean “clips”?

What have you set as your snap resolution in the Track View Snap Module? 

Hi Promidi, yes to both your assumptions

I think you may have answered my question, I thought the box under snap was only for the quantize setting, I can see now that it changes value when its on smart grid & I zoom in, I will mess around with this setting, unless you can recommend which setting to use?

is there a keyboard shortcut for my second question? that would make things easier too

second question: when arranging I figured out Ctrl + D will duplicate a block [clip*] to the right, but is there a way to duplicate a block [clip*] to the left? (so it comes in earlier in the track)

17 minutes ago, scott brady said:

is there a keyboard shortcut for my second question? that would make things easier too

second question: when arranging I figured out Ctrl + D will duplicate a block [clip*] to the right, but is there a way to duplicate a block [clip*] to the left? (so it comes in earlier in the track)

CTRL+D only duplicates to the right.  There is no keyboard short to CTRL+D to duplicate to the left by default

The way I personally would do this is create a CAL script to copy to the left, then keybind a key shortcut to that CAL script.  Be careful with CAL scripts though.  Deleting events straight after using some commands can crash Cakewalk.

Thanks for your help Promidi,

that sounds a bit beyond my skill set. Think now I understand the Snap to Grid settings it's solved the problem 

I tried it earlier with Smart Grid activated & it behaves a lot better, more like how Cubase on Atari worked years ago 

now im able to move clips around without having to zoom in.

glad I asked as i've struggled with this for a couple of months & it was real easy to fix

thanks again for your help ;)

You can also drag a clip to the right (or anywhere else) while holding Ctrl to copy it there.  Hold Shift+Ctrl while dragging vertically to maintain timing between tracks.  Also works on PRV notes.

thanks for the tips sjoens, hopefully now I have the Snap To Grid sorted it will make arranging a lot easier/quicker

It's been a nightmare moving clips around up till now, all in the learning process I guess ;) 

• scott brady changed the title to [Solved] Need Help - snap to grid intensity & duplicate blocks