How to prevent editing of midi creating multiple clips

Roy Slough

Question

Is there a solution for this? 
Example: I have a Midi Clip for the verse drums and another for the Chorus drums. When I return to the chorus midi clip via the piano roll and make some changes or additions. In the track these become separate clips all overlaying each other .  I then have to bounce these multiple clips into a single clip before I copy and paste that midi to another section (e.g. get the 1st Chorus correct and then copy it to others)  
It can become tedious as some edits will "attach" themselves to the previous clip (verse) so I have to split these before bouncing, OR bounce the verse and chorus together to ensure all clips are encapsulated then split the verse and chorus apart.

I am sure there must be an easier way, but I can't find it, Thanks 

8 answers to this question

IIRC, there's a notional "distance" where adding a new note in the PRV will create a new clip, rather than using the existing one.   I can't remember exactly what the time distance is, but it looks like this is what you're experiencing.

The ability to turn off this behaviour came up in a meeting a few months back, but didn't go any further due to more pressing matters.  I'll bring it up again.

In the meantime, you could try this.... 

Instead of drawing the note at the point you want it to start then dragging to the end,  try drawing the note starting within or close to the existing clip, drag it out to where you want it to end, then once it's added, adjust the start to where you wanted it to start originally.   

Because the new note starts within the existing clip, it won't create a new one and will instead just extend the length of the existing clip.

Editing the note start won't create a new clip, because the existing clip now covers the time region you want the note in.

You should only need to do this for the first note.

When drwing new notes in a track with a single lane of MIDI, the distance at which a new clip is created when drawing a new note in the PRV is anything over 7 beats from the end of the most recent note. It can be avoided either by initially drawing the note within that distance and then dragging it later as necessary or by dragging out the boundary of the clip in the track view to encompass where a new note will be inserted in advance.

Having multiple lanes in a MIDI track can complicate this as it's difficult or impossible to control which lanea note will go into when drawing in the PRV. Unless this has changed, I believe  it will usually default to the earliest/lowest-numbered lane, but this can be unpredictable based on the recording/editing history of the track, and focusing a particular lane before drawing in the PRV does not guarantee new notes will go into that clip's lane.

Thanks Guys, I am trying Sjoens solution to see if this helps.

As far as the other 2 suggestions, to my knowledge I am not using lanes in my Midi Drum Track. Also notes of long duration don't really apply when editing drum beats indeed as I am using a drum map I don't think I can do long notes.....
I rarely use lanes except when recording new analog sources (not often) so if there is a method to turn off lanes either for single tracks (prefered) or globally please let me know.

Thanks again

There will always be at least one Take Lane when audio or MIDI data exists. 

Experiment with Preference settings.

If you have both the red arrows below selected when recording you may have issues locating separate clips as some end up hiding behind others when they aren't in their own take lane.  I like Reuse Existing Lane, Unless Takes Overlap so they are more visible.

image.png

Selecting notes and dragging them while holding Ctrl will copy & paste notes without creating new clips or Take Lanes, unless they are dragged to a new track.

When Paste as New Clips is selected in Edit > Paste Special  I still have the issue of pasted notes in PRV creating full length clips in Track View even when only one note is pasted.

Edited by sjoens

9 hours ago, sjoens said:

There will always be at least one Take Lane when audio or MIDI data exists. 

Experiment with Preference settings.

If you have both the red arrows below selected when recording you may have issues locating separate clips as some end up hiding behind others when they aren't in their own take lane.  I like Reuse Existing Lane, Unless Takes Overlap so they are more visible.

image.png

Selecting notes and dragging them while holding Ctrl will copy & paste notes without creating new clips or Take Lanes, unless they are dragged to a new track.

When Paste as New Clips is selected in Edit > Paste Special  I still have the issue of pasted notes in PRV creating full length clips in Track View even when only one note is pasted.

These settings only affect Paste - not drawing new notes in the PRV.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the additional information, 

I take on  board all the advice when recording new tracks and I can cope with the take lanes and I even use the method to choose different sections from multiple takes (I believe it is called comping)

What was causing me headaches was returning to midi in PRV adding some cymbals or snare beats, then discovering they were not in the "chorus" clip but their own clip.  So when I copied that clip they would be left behind.
Now I am more aware and I look for this before duplication midi clips but hopefully your advice will stop it happening in the first place.