Tooltips requiring disable / enable every time I start Sonar

Every time I start Sonar, if I look in Preferences / Display I can see that Tooltips are enabled.  However, they don't work, and I have to toggle off then on to get them working for that session.  I exit Sonar with them enabled, start Sonar again, and have to go through the same thing all over again.  Never have any problems like this in CbB.  Is anyone else experiencing this?

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 8/24/2024 at 2:05 PM, pwalpwal said:

tbf this is a user forum, so maybe nobody else noticed missing tooltips, did you contact support@cakewalk.com?

/goodluck

Yes, back in July.  I got a response on July 21 saying they would "note this issue," though they didn't specifically acknowledge there actually was an issue.

Edited by Steve Moddelmog

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Matthew Simon Fletcher said:

Can you give an example of what the tooltips are so I can confirm I'm checking the right thing?

Sure. For example, if you hover the mouse over the graph in the Toolbar Performance Module, you should see real time info on "Audio Processing," "Engine Load," and "Late Buffers."  Actually hovering over any icon in the toolbar should display a brief explanation of the icon's function. Thanks for checking.

Thanks - that's what I assumed,, but wasn't sure if also had another meaning.

Unfortunately that's always worked fine for me and I can't think of what would be causing that behaviour to be different for you.
I'll see if I can find a way of breaking it, but apologies I can't be more helpful.

If you haven't already I'd try a full reinstall, resetting default preferences and repairing the visual C++ redistributibles as people have noticed odd behaviour with these becoming corrupted.

My thinking is he may enable tooltips while the program is in use but the setting is not saved when he closes the program.  I've seen this happen with other software programs particularly if a user opens a program, changes a setting and then exits the program.  The program closes without updating settings because just changing a setting is not considered as a change.  The program is looking for a change in content data.  For example in addition to changing the setting the user could change screens, move the cursor to a different place on the timeline, enable the metronome, add a track.  Something that tells the program work has been performed during this session.

Edited by Jim Fogle
fix typo
  • Great Idea 1

18 hours ago, Jim Fogle said:

My thinking is he may enable tooltips while the program is in use but the setting is not saved when he closes the program.  I've seen this happen with other software programs particularly if a user opens a program, changes a setting and then exits the program.  The program closes without updating settings because just changing a setting is not considered as a change.  The program is looking for a change in content data.  For example in addition to changing the setting the user could change screens, move the cursor to a different place on the timeline, enable the metronome, add a track.  Something that tells the program work has been performed during this session.

Yes, I enable tooltips every time and they work for that session but then don't when I start Sonar again even though Preferences / Customization / Display shows tooltips as being enabled. So I must uncheck "show tooltips," click "apply," then recheck "show tooltips."

I tried the suggestion of uninstalling and then reinstalling Sonar, but no luck.  It didn't try to download any C++ files.  But I resinstalled from my original installer - I cannot for the life of me find where to download Sonar now.  Hugely frustrating.  Even Google Gemini just directs you to the CbB download page, even if you are very specific about including "Sonar" in the name of the product you are looking for.  Cakewalk really doesn't seem very interested in making it available.

So for now I am going back to CbB.  Too many things not working for me in Sonar.  I was just buying month-to-month but jumped on a recent annual discount, which I now very much regret.

Steve,

Thanks for providing the additional information.  At this point my guess is an *.ini file is corrupt but is not removed when you remove and install the program.

I looked through the help menu and the manual.  Both describe the variables available for three ini files but none of the variables affect tooltips.  However both also mention there are several other ini files that are not user configurable.  My guess is it is one of those files.

Perhaps @Noel Borthwick, @msmcleod or @Jonathan Sasor will have an idea why the tooltips enable/disable toggle is not working correctly.

22 hours ago, Jim Fogle said:

Or his prefs file is set to read-only.

• Great Idea 1

17 hours ago, gustabo said:

Or his prefs file is set to read-only.

Where is the prefs file that would pertain to this?  None of the *.ini files are read-only.  (I did see a registry entry.)

Also, if I make other changes in Preferences / Configuration / Display, they are saved and are reflected the next time I open Sonar - only Tooltips are not (and even so, the box is checked, they just don't work until unchecking and then checking again).

25 minutes ago, Steve Moddelmog said:

Where is the prefs file that would pertain to this?  None of the *.ini files are read-only.  (I did see a registry entry.)

Also, if I make other changes in Preferences / Configuration / Display, they are saved and are reflected the next time I open Sonar - only Tooltips are not (and even so, the box is checked, they just don't work until unchecking and then checking again).

Make sure no files are set to read-only in "yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\Sonar"

• Thanks 1

On 8/27/2024 at 1:32 PM, gustabo said:

Make sure no files are set to read-only in "yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\Sonar"

Thanks.  Yeah, none of those are read-only.  I guess is use use Revo to do a deep uninstall and then re-install Sonar.  Not sure why, but my intuition is that won't fix it.  I guess because I didn't do anything "non-standard" in the original installation, and this has been an issue since the first day I installed Sonar.  As I said above, I did reach out to Support and got a response but no suggestions - just noted it as a potential bug.  I wish that someone technical at Cakewalk who understands what files are involved in making Tooltips work would chime in here.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Cakewalk Product Center is the installer program. I have to agree, I had a hell of a time finding it.

https://downloads.bandlab.com/cakewalk/ProductCenter/latest/Cakewalk_Product_Center_Setup.exe

I looked there after uninstalling and didn't see it.  Only CbB and Cakewalk Next products.

But just now it offered an update to CPC, and now there is a section for Sonar.

Solved my problem  I have a default workspace (that I created in CbB several years ago) that loads when I start Sonar.  I did my little toggle of tooltips, saved the workspace, and now tooltips are active when I star Sonar.  I'm surprised by this, because

1. That same workspace also loads when I start CbB, and tooltips are always enabled, and

2. I have made other changes to Sonar in Preferences / Customization / Display (for example, I've turned off DPI awareness), and they've "stuck" without saving that workspace.  Wonder why tooltips is different in that regard.

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions!

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1