Will V_Vocal still crash with a fast computer and lots of RAM?

gmp

I think my troubles with it stem from the fact that I look at it and it seems like it should work one way, but it actually works the other way.

It presents these blobs strung together on a grid. And to me, the blobs are notes, the horizontal grid lines should represent a chromatic scale referenced to A=440. The vertical lines would be beats and subdivisions. Then you drag the blobs up and down (and/or left and right) and they snap to the grid lines, or you can nudge them a bit one way or the other. You would also be able to use a different reference pitch if you wanted to.

That's how it looks to me, like it should work that way, but it doesn't and I guess I can't get my head around why it doesn't and how it actually does work. It would be so simple if it just worked that way.

for me, i found Melodyne to be reasonably intuitive - but the earlier version (v3 in particular) the ability to move the blobs left or right was pretty awkward. v5 is really nicely down - bbuuuttt - you should watch a bunch of the videos to really appreciate the how-to aspects and esp the more advanced ones:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Starship Krupa said:

I think my troubles with it stem from the fact that I look at it and it seems like it should work one way, but it actually works the other way.

I know what you mean...it has the "look and feel" of a MIDI sequencer, but you need to approach it as a digital audio editor.

What a lot of people miss about Melodyne is the necessity of using the Split tool. With vocals, a sung "note" can actually glide through different pitches. So, Melodyne can't parse where "notes" begin and end, or whether a slide is a slide up that ends the previous note, or a slide up that begins the next note. 

With the Split tool, you can cut the blobs up into individual notes, or even individual pieces of notes. You can also do tricks like cut vibrato at particular cycles if the base pitch varies. And the pitch modulation tools are fantastic.

Once you start thinking "digital audio editor," you might find it more friendly. Melodyne is a deeper program than the interface would lead you to believe. 

• Like 2

also - the split tool is great for cutting out noise - esp bleeds, mouth noises, misc breathing, etc, and also separating sibilances & breaths etc so you can adjust those levels when the sibiliance detection isn't getting them all.

and if you're editing instruments like horns and guitars - getting the honks and any slippery lip-farts, finger squeaks, errant picks, etc drums you can get the bass pedal squeak, inter-drum bleeds etc.

as Craig noted this is a digital audio editor... plus you can get the MIDI (except the percussion mode - it's all one note for untuned percussion) for your instruments in case you want to re-instrument etc.

I like Melodyne and use it a lot.  Currently tho, it does some weird unexpected things when editing blobs.  When I try to shrink one, the other end starts to disappear instead of the whole blob getting smaller.  It may be only graphical but don't think it should be doing that.

It also tends to put some notes a whole octave lower than where they should be making them harder to manipulate.

Otherwise it's an awesome tool.

Edited by sjoens

7 hours ago, Craig Anderton said:

I know what you mean...it has the "look and feel" of a MIDI sequencer, but you need to approach it as a digital audio editor.

You may have just given me the key (no pun intended) that could unlock the door.

Truth is, I rarely have occasion to use it these days. The only vocalists I'm likely to be dealing with have taken serious training and would never submit a performance that wasn't absolutely where they wanted it, and me. I need the practice, so I'm happy to do a dozen takes until I get it right.

That's part of my problem with gittin' gud with it: I don't use it often enough to learn it well.