Import Ableton MIDI or audio clips into Cakewalk?

charles kasler

Question

6 answers to this question

if they're simply MIDI or simply an audio format supported by CW, then it should be possible to import, much like any other MIDI or audio file. however, some companies use proprietary compression (i.e. cannot simply open as a zip or tar or gz) on these type of files to wrap / bundle the files and prevent their use by other programs.

Edited by Glenn Stanton
  • Like 3

If Ableton saves MIDI files in the correct formant, Cakewalk will be able to open them.   Try type 0 and Type 1 MIDI files to see which one gives better results.

Remember to open the MIDI file in Cakewalk rather than import.  That way, tempo, markers, and meter information, etc are also brought across.

• Like 1

It has been so long since I used it I had to look the audio part up. They use the ".alc" format, and there are a few articles about dragging/dropping samples to save to its internal browser (in wav format)... Since that drag/drop functionality is included with the app, it would be worth trying to also drag/drop directly into both Windows Explorer and directly into an open CbB project to see what happens. That drag/drop routine may be scripted to transfer wav files, but not sure.

• Like 1

Quick search on that says the default location on a PC is "C:\Users\[your username]\Documents\Ableton\User Library" and seems that the files are sorted into subfolders by type, but not sure. Also check the user preferences internally to see if you have them in another location if they are not there.

Side note with that... you can also add that folder above to the browser internal to CbB... formats that CbB recognizes can be drag/dropped into a project from that. The "alc" files are the ones CbB would not directly recognize.

Edited by mettelus
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, charles kasler said:

Does anyone know where the Ableton files are stored on my computer?

Personal choice, but I like a file-finding tool called "Everything" from VoidTools.  You might prefer others; this is just the one I use. My custom search presets include: *.cpw, *.dll, *.pdf, *.syx, *.voltagepreset, *.vst3 just to give you an idea of my priorities for quick searches.  

ADDENDUM:  LOL (laughing at myself):  I don't use Ableton, but I just did a Folder Search for "Ableton" and evidently at some point I had versions of either Ableton or Ableton Contents. Actually, it seems that NI has installed some of those Folders.

Edited by User905133
added additional details