Sonar 2024.08 Feedback

Although I have a nice RME UCX2, I have never been able to run at 64 samples with a 4.0 msec roundtrip.  But, I am now running 48 samples with a 3.3 msec total roundtrip. WOW!!!

My plugins right now are BFD3 drums, SampleTron 2, and 2 basses. Not a snap, crackle, or pop. I know this won't last and it is just a dream but thank you, this is wonderful. Sonar feels lighter and more nimble. I tend to not be a minimalist and load up on Neural DSP guitar plugins and Spitfire orchestral plugins, so I will give this a workout and we'll see if I can even maintain a clean 64 samples. This alone is major selling point for Sonar. I love it.

Michael

• Like 4

Just confirming I use M1 regularly and haven't seen any issues with VST 2/ 3.
I have seen a few crashes with previous builds of Triton Extreme but those were ages ago - just checking are you using the latest version? The download manager for Korg stuff isn't great and sometimes it's not obvious if there are updates.

Also happy to take a look at the project and see if I get the same behaviour and/or try and drilldown on exactly what in the project is upsetting it.

Edited by Matthew Simon Fletcher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Michael Richards said:

I tend to not be a minimalist and load up on Neural DSP guitar plugins and Spitfire orchestral plugins, so I will give this a workout and we'll see if I can even maintain a clean 64 samples. This alone is major selling point for Sonar. I love it.

@Michael Richardsplease report back on your findings when you do this.

This is a follow-up to my RME UCX2, 48k and 24 bit running 48 samples with a 3.3 msec total roundtrip.

I'm afraid of crashing it and I haven't opened some of my tracks with a large number of synth plugins. But, here is a list of what is currently running without crashing or any pops or clicks.

2 Audio tracks3 Neural DSP guitar tracks

1 Ample Bass

1 Sampletank 4 fretless bass

1 SampleTron 2 track

1 Spitfire EPic Strings

2 Keyzone Pianos

3 SynthMaster Player tracks

1 BFE3 drum tracks

4 tracks of ProChannel Breverb and Compressor

2 Send tracks of reverb

Michael

2 minutes ago, Osman Hemidov said:

Hello everyone. How can I edit Sonar themes? And the second question, why are there so few editable colors in the settings? Sorry for the Google translation

There is no editing the themes in Sonar with the new graphics system used. We have been told there may be such in the future, but right now it's limited to the few items you see in Preferences|Colors.

The change was from pixel based graphics to vector graphics and the old theme editor is not currently capable of dealing with vector graphics...

We all wait with baited breath!

• Like 4

Crash resolved -  Microsoft Visual Redistributable damaged.

Noel helped me fix this. I am a little late to the Sonar  2024.08 029 64bit.

Current version observations -

It works perfectly! Thank to Noel  and the crew for all the time and effort you guys put into Sonar.  I have a project I am working on that has 101 tracks, 32 buses, 217 plugins, 23 virtual instruments (Some frozen) loaded and will not run in Cakewalk by Bandlab, but runs fine in Sonar. This will be a great selling point. Many will move to Sonar for just these optimizations. Thanks for all the plug-in CPU checking ability. This way, a person can decide if a plug-in is worth the amount of CPU to consumes. Also, does an alternative plug-in sound almost as good, but use 1/2 the CPU! These are very important in large projects.  

Many Thanks!

• Like 7

On 8/18/2024 at 5:58 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

Don't be afraid. Running at low latency wont break anything :)
At worst you will get glitches or dropouts.

I wasn't concerned about crashing Sonar, I was so impressed with the 3.3 msec roundtrip that I didn't want to be disappointed if pops and clicks started to happen. I am also surprised with the Windows and Dell updates. They usually cause me problems, but all is well.

There is one problem: at 48 and 64 samples recording has become an issue. I now get an audio engine dropout. It does not happen at 96 samples.

Screenshot2024-08-20104554.png.57cca80c0b902218d7de14752776af4c.png

Recording will obviously put some extra load on the system, but if you want to test the limits of your system you can try and increase the dropout tolerance here and see if recording still works without any clicks or pops.

Try increasing DropoutMsec to 100 ms or so, or even try setting MaskDropoutDection to true.

image.png

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

2 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

You can't use task Manager or CPU as the only metric. Do the test I suggested and see if it makes any difference.

I'm sorry, Noel. I guess I didn't hit Submit Reply when I wrote that neither increasing DropoutMsec to 100 ms and/or setting MaskDropoutDection to True worked.

• Thanks 1

On 8/19/2024 at 4:42 PM, Keni said:

There is no editing the themes in Sonar with the new graphics system used. We have been told there may be such in the future, but right now it's limited to the few items you see in Preferences|Colors.

The change was from pixel based graphics to vector graphics and the old theme editor is not currently capable of dealing with vector graphics...

We all wait with baited breath!

I am mostly using CbB because I find PRV difficult with the existing themes.  None of them have enough contrast between white keys and black keys.  There's probably a reason why those keys are white and black on an actual piano!

Edited by Steve Moddelmog
  • Like 1

Would you like to look at the dump of an application hang?  It's not a show-stopper for me, since I can just kill the process and start anew.  I'm not crazy about kernel errors, though.
OS Name    Microsoft Windows 11 Enterprise
Version    10.0.22631 Build 22631
Processor    11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11900K @ 3.50GHz, 3504 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    128 GB

_08242024_111508.dmp _08242024_111508.txt